Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Either way works. Only time will tell once the UK invokes Article 50. Will that come in 2017?

[Somewhere I'm hearing Meatloaf's "Two Out of Three Ain't Bad" playing in the background. Apology as I don't want to derail a very good thread that British citizens who may have their finger on the pulse can contribute to.]
    Real eyes realize real lies.

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
      Yea , we r travelling down the road trying to loosen our load
      ..."and one says she's a friend of mine. Takin' it easy..." (LOL)

Comment

• Originally posted by PeeCoffee View Post
        ..."and one says she's a friend of mine. Takin' it easy..." (LOL)
        Ya say you want a real solution ...
        Trust me?
        I'm an economist!

Comment

• "You say you got a real solution
          Well ya know
          We'd all love to see the plan...

But if you want money for people with minds that hate
          All I can tell you brother is you'll have to wait."

Comment

• Maybe Brexit supporters heard the words...(though it was a close contest) only time will tell.

Comment

• If Norway block us from EFTA that rules out soft brexit. That puts the PM in a real bind. She can either deliver the hard brexit and risk destroying both our economy and the Union itself, or she can defy the will of the people and hope that it doesn't lead to civil unrest.

Comment

• Originally posted by zara View Post
                If Norway block us from EFTA that rules out soft brexit. That puts the PM in a real bind. She can either deliver the hard brexit and risk destroying both our economy and the Union itself, or she can defy the will of the people and hope that it doesn't lead to civil unrest.
                Norway doesn't have a veto.
                Trust me?
                I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
                  Norway doesn't have a veto.
                  Yes they do.

In order to jon the EFTA, it has to be a unanimous vote by the members.

If Norway votes nay, the UK can't join.

Comment

• This is doing the rounds on social media... sounds like rubbish but im not sure..

https://hat4uk.wordpress.com/2016/06...-grave-danger/
                    Last edited by zara; 16 Aug 16,, 18:48.

Comment

• Trump claims Brexit is preview of things to come 03:43
                      Peter Wittig, the German ambassador to the United States, echoed his French colleague. "This is a really serious setback," Wittig told me. "We have to prove to the citizens that the European Union is there for them -- that it is a union for the citizens and not a union for the bureaucrats."
                      My hope is that the British vote will also have a positive effect on the United States. Progressive voters must recognize all the similarities between the Brexit appeals to racism and Donald Trump's attacks on Muslims and Mexicans -- and then they must mobilize. The Democratic Party must come together in November to make sure that the United States doesn't take the same disastrous step backward that Britain took Thursday.

Comment

• Brexit ,,,,,racism ,, stupid fuck , not you bestellen ,,the germans remarks .
                        Last edited by tankie; 01 Sep 16,, 14:58.

Comment

• Racists did vote for Leave. That’s undeniable. I’m not saying all leave voters or even most of them are racist, far from it, but getting out of the EU has been a holy grail for the BNP, the EDL and Britain First for decades. The leave win was a great victory for them and now they feel emboldened.
                          Just look at the continuing rise in hate crimes since the vote - the murder of the polish boy, the chanting 'make England white again' in the streets, the letters delivered telling 'Polish vermin go home', the bullying of polish school kids etc. Since I moved to England I've never known it to be like this..

Look at how Farage, le Pen and Geert Wilders are all on a high. The biggest @rseholes on the continent think they are victorious.
                          For us its the Poles, for trump supporters its the mexicans. They want to build a wall, we want to stop free movement. They want to end free trade, we want out of the single market. Leave was a punch in the face for the establishment, Clinton embodies the establishment. It's the same issues, Im sure Trump will win.

Again I am NOT saying leave voters are racist.
                          Last edited by zara; 01 Sep 16,, 13:51.

Comment

• Well well ,,,,ps zara , racist , really ???? you dont hear the brexit voters shouting remove all black brown yellow blue etc etc , what we did hear from some was stop immigration asnd illegals ,,more xenaphobic than racist methinks , buuuuut yes , i agree with you , some would have thought that way but herman the german has had a broad sweep with his remarks .

ITV REPORT 1 September 2016 at 2:24pm
                            Sterling soars as UK manufacturing sector records biggest month-on-month rise for 25 years
                            factory and pound
                            The value in the pound has soared as the manufacturing sector picked up pace. Credit: PA
                            The manufacturing industry recorded its biggest month-on-month rise in output for 25 years, allaying fears about the economic impact of the Brexit vote in June's EU referendum.

The Purchasing Managers Index (PMI) survey showed economic activity in the sector swung to a 10-month high in August, a month after it suggested UK manufacturing was in the doldrums in the wake of Brexit when it hit a 41-month low.

Output hit 53.3 last month, up from a revised reading of 48.3 in July and above economists' expectations of 49. A reading above 50 indicates growth.
                            'Brexit brakes are off'
                            The update caused sterling to jump 0.8% against the US dollar, as one analyst said the figures showed the 'Brexit brakes are off'.

The pound broke through the 1.32 barrier to reach 1.324 dollars, while its value against the euro shot up 0.9% to 1.188 euros.
                            flags
                            There were fears Britain's vote to leave the EU would have a damaging effect on the economy. Credit: PA
                            David Noble, group chief executive at the Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply, said: "An increase in stock building could signal more positive hope for the coming months.

"But it remains to be seen whether this expansion of activity is merely filling the post-Brexit void or whether this strong performance will continue."
                            'Double-edged sword'
                            The resurgence was driven by a rebound in manufacturing output and incoming orders, with new business seeing an upturn in the UK and abroad.

The slump in sterling to 31-year lows following the EU referendum result has made British products cheaper, boosting export orders to a 26-month high, with increased demand from the US, Europe, China, south-east Asia, the Middle East and Norway.

However, the fall in the value of the pound proved a double-edged sword, as input price inflation rocketed to a five-year high, with 44% of companies reporting a jump in purchasing costs.
                            containers
                            The resurgence was driven by a rebound in manufacturing output and incoming orders. Credit: PA
                            The higher-than-expected manufacturing PMI for August lifts the prospects of the UK economy continuing to grow in the third quarter, despite widespread fears that Britain could slip back into recession.

The update comes after strong consumer spending helped the economy expand in the run-up to the EU vote in June.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) confirmed last week that gross domestic product (GDP) grew by 0.6% in the second quarter, up from 0.4% in the first three months of 2016.
                            Last updated Thu 1 Sep 2016

Comment

• Just a quick google shows that every news outlet is jumping on every possible indicator or statement post referedum to prove the side they chose was correct.
                              So whether your a leaver or remainer you can pick what you want to hear:

British economy begins to show signs of post-Brexit slowdown ... - The Guardian
                              The post-Brexit economy is more open than ever - The Spectator
                              UK economy contracted after Brexit vote, say leading economists ... - The Independant
                              Brexit boom: The five charts which show Britain has escaped an ... - The Telegraph
                              Britain's economy wilting fast after Brexit vote, may prompt more ... - Reuturs
                              German economy left SHATTERED after Brexit vote ... - Daily Express

I think if the national press can disagree so violently, its pretty clear that nothing ofsubstance has really happened yet.
                              It's kinda pathetic.. especially how we havent even left yet. It reminds me of the months after Saddam Hussein was toppled and every paper in the UK was scrambling around, pouncing on every little peice of evidence or opinion, no matter how flimsy to vindicate their support or opposition to the invasion.

The economist, (perhaps wisely) seems to be keeping very quiet about Brexit since the vote.

Comment

• True zara , true . Media is having fun selling their versions , however the ITV post is correct i believe . Must wait n see . May has started negotiations with her cabinet to produce exit strategy .
                                Last edited by tankie; 01 Sep 16,, 15:41.

Comment

Working...
                                X