Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This was all planned long ago. Even the BBC knew. All part of the plan to cause confusion among the Europeans.

Comment

• Well...there you have it. The Foreign Office has simply been playing a variation of a long-standing British theme. Instead, though, of AVOIDING continental entanglements, the Brits see best their ability to subvert from within.

Ahhh...

so does this vote mean that all those old, white Brits actually are all for the E.U. and have done their level best to protect that institution by forcing those insidious knaves over in Whitehall to cease, desist and depart Strausburg and Brussels?

Noble and self-sacrificing. Who'd ever imagine the E.U. was saved from nefarious Albion by this vote?

Unsurprising that it's our Gunny providing the clarity.

Huge LIKE to G.G.
      "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Are you telling me that Cameron is this freaking genius?
        Chimo

Comment

• Just finished the latest season of Game Of Thrones and I'm seeing nothing but webs of intrigue wherever I turn. Gunny's as correct as anybody here.

As Bugs Bunny would say, "It is to laugh...".

It's been a great thread.

Really.
          "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• I do not want to see Cameron doing the walk of shame.
            Chimo

Comment

• He, like all of us, MUST atone.

Comment

• I don't know the rules but can he get a substitute ... like Charlize Theron!

BTW, I'm betting on Cersei against Daenerys.
                Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by citanon View Post
                  These are some pretty idiotic arguments this thread has devolved into thanks to you.
                  The thread has devolved? All because of little ol' me? Well, sorry to disturb the tranquility of the thread. I guess you'd prefer everyone pat each other on the back, trumpeting the same ideas.

LA requires 66%, Senate needs 2/3 to override veto, this statedoes this, this county does that and it has relevance to Brexit because of what exactly?
                  Because voting is involved. People are deciding important things using the voting process.

News flash, we have those standards because THE PEOPLE APPROVED THAT PARTICULAR STANDARD. Just like British voters, including the Monday morning quarterbacks, had no problems with the referendum being simple majority up until the day after. Well, guess what? You set it up this way. Don't cry when you lose it.
                  I don't get it? Are you against analyzing the political structure of referendums? Or are they immune to analysis? Is complaining about Al Gore's defeat in 2000 really a travesty? Must every criticism of the voting process be relegated to before the vote? Do you not understand that democracy needs us less to salute the results of every election, mouths sealed shut, than it needs us to critique and analyze?

Maybe you should now apply your lesson learned to the next SCOTTISH independence vote??? What's that? That's what I thought.
                  I'd be happy to.

And dividing London as a separate piece? Could this get more moronic, or elitist ?
                  I don't care about dividing London, or analyzing its "importance". I've been stating that numerous times and it's already getting old and boring.

How about you try something productive, like respecting the Democratic decision of your fellow voters and moving forward?
                  Criticizing a particular aspect of the democratic process gets you in a huff doesn't it? You want me to stand and salute the result, mouth sealed shut instead of doing my Constitutional duty and making suggestions. Do you think Republican Senators "shut up and take it" when they lose a particularly important vote in Congress? No.

Because right now, you are living up and then going so beyond the worst stereotypes of elitist entitled liberal millennials, that you are becoming a caricature of the caricature.
                  First of all, I'm not a millennial. Second, I don't give a damn about your insults. Third, "liberal" isn't an insult.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                    No, you don't get it. It is no more/no less important than any other piece. That's like saying your brain is more important your heart. And in case you don't get it, London does not decide for the rest of UK. Never did. Never will. Parliament does. And Parliament is not London. There's a reason why the Queen don't entertain the opinion of the Mayor of London.
                    I never said London decides for the rest of the UK. Never. I said it's the most important piece (read, geographic entity), out of multiple pieces. This is an awfully subjective topic. We must first agree on what "important" means? Is it GDP? Financial impact? Diplomatic heft? Number of restaurants with Michelin stars? Is Paris the most important piece of France? Many would argue YES. When you are discussing the heart and soul of the UK, I assumed you were talking about geographical regions --- Midlands, Manchester, South-West England etc.

But like I said before, I don't care about classifying how important London is

Comment

• Originally posted by citanon View Post
                      Debating this question isn't stupid. Being so presumptuous in the superiority of his own intelligence and the wisdom of the city of Los Angeles compared to the British people is quite obnoxious. Then add on the insinuations about other people's votes being less legitimate, and the city of London being more important, and it's just lost all seriousness.
                      You are losing it, and your insinuations are ridiculous. I gave an example of a referendum that requires more than a simple majority, in the city where I live. I didn't just copy and paste paragraphs from Wikipedia and highlight them in bold print like some diamond in the snow. I attempted to use personal experience to make it intriguing, and I did it respectfully. Australia has different rule for referendums, as do other countries. I guess if I was Australian and gave an example of how the referendum process is different there you'd label me "elitist", and "idiot who thinks Australians are so much better than the British". Also, claiming that I'm "presumptuous in the superiority of my intelligence" is a juvenile statement.

Look carefully, and you'll notice that you are the one taking the low road.

Comment

• So let me get this straight. You spent three pages defending the idea of looking at London as the "most important piece" of Britain, and yet you don't want to "separate" London from Britain.

You spent text walls saying how the majority vote is a dumb idea, and raising examples of referendums in LA, and yet you are not insinuating that British voters are dumb to allow a simple majority.

Sure. And Bill Clinton did not have "sex" with that woman. And it really depends on what the meaning of "is" is.

Sorry, but idiocy is idiocy, no matter the semantics. Glad you are not a millenial. They have no need for anyone to make them look even worse.

Oh, and I'm perfectly fine with any bit of political analysis. It's the repeated insistence on stupid ideas that I find annoying.

Edit: You know what, I wrote the above reply to you but on reflection i think I'm I'm getting a bit too grumpy and impatient.

So first, let me apologize to you for personally insulting you on these pages. Sometimes pointed posts need to be made in the interests of quality control and debate flow, but some of my comments were poorly judged and went too far.

Secondly, myself and others members have made direct points on why supermajority referenda are unworkable in these cases, and why London is so inextricably a part of the country that it makes no sense to even consider its importance as a separate piece. You should answer these directly and cogently, instead of dancing around the issue with self referential semantics.

Thirdly, if we still cannot reach resolution, we should agree to disagree and move on to another aspect of the topic instead of getting the thread stuck on a never ending loop of repetitive pronouncements.
                        Last edited by citanon; 28 Jun 16,, 10:05.

Comment

• Probably the most sensible thing written in the Gardian in, well, ever...

Many of the nearly half of the British people who voted remain now feel scared and angry, ready to lash out at their fellow citizens. But this will make things worse. Many of the leavers already felt marginalised, ignored and hated. The contempt – and sometimes snobbery – now being shown about leavers on social media was already felt by these communities, and contributed to this verdict. Millions of Britons feel that a metropolitan elite rules the roost which not only doesn’t understand their values and lives, but actively hates them. If Britain is to have a future, this escalating culture war has to be stopped. The people of Britain have spoken. That is democracy, and we now have to make the country’s verdict work.
                          https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-revolt-grieve
                          In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Originally posted by YellowFever View Post
                            Yes, that map is of England and if LIP has it's way, that little green dot will be London.
                            Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh UFO , A phallic cloud Goran , ohhhhh how droll .lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                              Probably the most sensible thing written in the Gardian in, well, ever...

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-revolt-grieve
                              Social media is overboard with hate , have a viewpoint and woebetide if its not the same as remainers .

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
                                Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh UFO , A phallic cloud Goran , ohhhhh how droll .lol
                                Couldn't see if there is NI, too, to make it complete :-)
                                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                                X