This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goatboy View Post
    The young aren't just 18 year olds. There are plenty of 39 year olds that own property. And frankly, the Brexit movement was highly blue collar. London voted to stay. I'm guessing plenty of 41 year old London resident professionals with property are very angry at the old, working class apartment renters. It's not just young vs old. The educated, the sophisticated, the middle class professionals, they tended to vote to remain, and they are richer than the working class old, and likely own more property.

Idiots. Often typical of young everywhere though.

From what I read, many (especially younger) who voted pro-Brexit didn't realize what they were doing, are scared now with the huge currency swings, the downgrading of UK's credit rating to negative, and would switch their vote. Too much "rule Britannia!" yelling and not enough research and understanding of consequences.
    and what do you suggest? Tell your grandparents and parents that they have less right than you do, and that their votes should have less weight than yours?

Comment

The young aren't just 18 year olds. There are plenty of 39 year olds that own property. And frankly, the Brexit movement was highly blue collar. London voted to stay. I'm guessing plenty of 41 year old London resident professionals with property are very angry at the old, working class apartment renters. It's not just young vs old. The educated, the sophisticated, the middle class professionals, they tended to vote to remain, and they are richer than the working class old, and likely own more property.
      London is not the UK. And you have the wrong idea about blue collar wealth.
      Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 26 Jun 16,, 06:17.
      Chimo

Comment

i almost rolled on the floor laughing. "The sophisticated"? For real!

And these people love to call themselves "liberal" and "progressive".

Comment

• Originally posted by drhuy View Post
          and what do you suggest? Tell your grandparents and parents that they have less right than you do, and that their votes should have less weight than yours?
          On a side note, do you want to split up the UK? Brexit is that pill. The disintegration of the UK cannot be separated from a YES Brexit vote, any more than salt on a pretzel.

And who said anything about the elder generation having less rights? I'm merely stating that there's something pernicious about the old, deciding the future of the young (which includes 45 year olds, as far as Brexit polling is concerned). I never said I support some "de-democratization" policy.

Not the best word I agree. How about Cosmopolitan and well traveled?

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
            London is not the UK. And you have the wrong idea about blue collar wealth.
            No individual part of the UK "is" the UK. But London is the more important piece, it's just not as big as the collective weight of the rest. And London's not alone. This Brexit vote result was totally arbitrary. We could have had the same vote last year and it would have failed. next year? failed. 3 years hence? passed. I don't know, I don't care. Why? It's arbitrary. 50% margin referendums are by nature arbitrary. Why should such massive issues be decided by a shoe string's worth of voters, when the margin of swing votes can be decisively altered by something as mundane as weather, ex-mayor popularity or season?

Comment

But you own your money, not your daughter. Every voting citizen of the UK "owns" the UK, both the young and the old. I don't think the "old" figured on Scotland ripping itself away from England, Northern Ireland too perhaps, because that's much more likely now.
              Why would you think the EU would want Scotland back?

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                My generation and the younger one voted to 'remain'. Was the drop in the value of GBP and FTSE futures a 'tantrum' of mine?

You deliberately misinterpret my words and refuse to answer straight forward questions... I see little point in continuing to converse with you and wish you good day Sir.
                Can't follow you. You voted? Where?

Its easy to put it on tankie and his comarades when you and your generation didn't care enough to get out in huge numbers.
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by citanon View Post
                  Why would you think the EU would want Scotland back?

Has the EU rejected any European nation that meets the Copenhagen requirements? No.

Has any EU applicant nation in history met as many Copenhagen requirements as prospective Scotland? No.

Comment

Haha, the true face of certain self proclaimed progressives "shine" through once something doesn't go their way.

And I love this line of reasoning. Maybe next you should just let all the Chinese and Russian real estate buyers in London decide everything for you.

Comment

On a side note, do you want to split up the UK? Brexit is that pill. The disintegration of the UK cannot be separated from a YES Brexit vote, any more than salt on a pretzel.

And who said anything about the elder generation having less rights? I'm merely stating that there's something pernicious about the old, deciding the future of the young (which includes 45 year olds, as far as Brexit polling is concerned). I never said I support some "de-democratization" policy.

Not the best word I agree. How about Cosmopolitan and well traveled?
                      Scotland and North Ireland? What makes you think EU want another Greece or Spain? More bail-out, subsidizing?

The old and the young have always been voting since like forever, there's no complain about it. But now suddenly you consider it pernicious?

Is it pernicious that the old have to work and pay tax to support the young? have to fight and die for future of the young?

Comment

Has the EU rejected any European nation that meets the Copenhagen requirements? No.

Has any EU applicant nation in history met as many Copenhagen requirements as prospective Scotland? No.
                        Has any nation left the EU before ? No. And yet here we are.

Has the entrance of any nation before threatened the integrity and security of existing EU nations? No.

Are past results always indicative of future results? No.

Will it be the same EU that Scotland will be trying to join in 2020? No.

Comment

• Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post

Really?!
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Scotland and North Ireland? What makes you think EU want another Greece or Spain? More bail-out, subsidizing?
                            What makes you think the EU is worried Scotland is Greece? I repeat: Has any prospective EU member been refused if they meet the Copenhagen criteria? Why would the EU, which was emphatically supportive of the UK remaining, suddenly think a piece of it (Scotland) should be denied and left to its own, AFTER a pro-secession break-up?

Originally posted by drhuy View Post
                            The old and the young have always been voting since like forever, there's no complain about it. But now suddenly you consider it pernicious?
                            Here in Los Angeles, referendums for mundane things like increasing the budget for subway construction by increasing sales tax by .5% needs 66% to pass. 3 years ago it got 65%, and failed. Get my drift? Other jurisdictions have 60% as a threshold, still others 55%. Depends.

Originally posted by drhuy View Post
                            Is it pernicious that the old have to work and pay tax to support the young? have to fight and die for future of the young?
                            The young includes mothers and fathers with teenage children. I'm talking about the Brexit voter demographic spread.
                            Last edited by Goatboy; 26 Jun 16,, 07:53.

Comment

• Originally posted by citanon View Post
                              Has any nation left the EU before ? No. And yet here we are.
                              Greenland left

Originally posted by citanon View Post
                              Has the entrance of any nation before threatened the integrity and security of existing EU nations? No.
                              You mean Turkey? It's not going to be allowed in. The other 27 EU states aren't a threat to the EU.

Are past results always indicative of future results? No.
                              I agree

Will it be the same EU that Scotland will be trying to join in 2020? No.
                              Will it be dystopian-ish different? Will it implode? Fear mongering was a big part of the Brexit vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                                Can't follow you. You voted? Where?

Its easy to put it on tankie and his comarades when you and your generation didn't care enough to get out in huge numbers.
                                % who got through our final #EUref poll turnout filter by age group:

18-24: 36%
                                25-34: 58%
                                35-44: 72%
                                45-54: 75%
                                55-64: 81%
                                65+: 83%

https://twitter.com/SkyData/status/746700869656256512

Yup yup yup yup....
                                In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Working...
                                X