Alabama Cops ATTACKED and PARALYZED Indian Grandfather by using excessive force

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by citanon View Post
    That's the other huge elephant in the room. When should police escalate and when should they de-escalate? I think we are off-kilter in many parts of the US, but I don't think British police has it right either.
    Its one of the keys to good policing because it is the most important issue relating to the privileges police get to use violence. It might be a small part of policing in terms of time on the job, but it is a huge part in terms of impact, especially potentially negative impact. I think you are right about many US police forces & I would throw in some in Australia - though I think we are improving. I wouldn't argue in favour of wholesale importation of the British approach to either nation, but it seems to be working there.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
      I argued this with a colleague in Texas who of course is extremely conservative. He saw no issues with this at all. The police were in fear for their life and were justified. I asked how dangerous could a small 17 year old girl be with a knife? He said a knife can be a dangerous weapon in a person's hands and had I ever seen a knife fight. What, she is a teenage girl and not a Navy Seal. I bowed out after that.
      Unless you have unbelievable skill or have the appropriate tools it's almost impossible to defend against a determined knife attack. Once she went for him the only chance the police officer had was to shoot her. Any hesitation and he could be bleeding out in the next minute.

Comment

Unless you have unbelievable skill or have the appropriate tools it's almost impossible to defend against a determined knife attack. Once she went for him the only chance the police officer had was to shoot her. Any hesitation and he could be bleeding out in the next minute.
        I've got to agree. Coming at someone with a knife is a great way to be shot. Letting someone get close to you with a knife, be they a teenager or a SEAL is a great way to be cut.

Even if you know what you are doing, you WILL be cut, and being cut is no fun.

I'm not one to usually agree with police use of force, but I've no issue with shooting a knife weilder. Sometimes you win stupid prizes when you play stupid games.
        "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

The part that didn't quite compute for me: the cop who got her to the ground but couldn't keep her down despite outweighing her by at least 100 lbs. That guy needs to hit the gym hard.
          It's not about weight or hitting the gym. Ever seen a parent try to restrain a squirming toddler?

I'd say he needs a crash course in restraining holds.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
            What, she is a teenage girl and not a Navy Seal. I bowed out after that.
            Inside of 20 feet, if I have my knife out and your gun is holstered, you are going to get cut and overall odds favor me. Doesn't matter if the me is the 42yo male, or I am or a 17yo slip of a girl. Knives kill.
            Last edited by zraver; 19 Feb 15,, 00:18.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
              It's not about weight or hitting the gym. Ever seen a parent try to restrain a squirming toddler?

I'd say he needs a crash course in restraining holds.
              Yeah that. Though it's hard to see clearly what was happening on the ground from the video. Maybe he got off her because she somehow got the knife out already.

Comment

Yeah that. Though it's hard to see clearly what was happening on the ground from the video.
                That's why I don't believe that police body-cam's will be the panacea they've been promised to be. (That, and I'm mistrustful of "silver bullet" solutions).

Don't get me wrong, personal cams for every officer should absolutely be implemented IMO. But the original thread topic was on a police camera and it didn't deter these thugs from acting like...well, thugs.
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

I'm Chinese.
                  Happy New Year! :)
                  "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                    Happy New Year! :)
                    Thanks! You too! I've been saying happy New Year to everyone I see today just to make it seem more festive.

Comment

• I just came across this when browsing. Absolutely horrifying. At least our Indian police only encounter kill people once properly bribed.

In Fairfax, Va., a different, no-less-scary police shooting - World - CBC News

White privilege didn't protect John Geer.

That's not to say he didn't have it. As a middle-class kitchen designer living in the pleasant Washington suburb of Fairfax, Va., he had nothing whatsoever in common with the impoverished black men killed by police in Missouri and Brooklyn last year.

Those deaths triggered riots, marches and demonstrations across America, and interventions by the White House.

But Geer, pierced 18 months ago by a police bullet as he stood inside the screen door of his own home, his hands raised, begging not to be shot, simply disappeared into the emotional mixing bowl of American news and political priorities.

That should not have happened. The killing of John Geer is probably the clearest and most compelling example of what amounts to police impunity in recent American history.
                      This part was what disgusted me the most.
                      Please ask him not to point his gun at me, Geer begged Barnes. Geer even offered to come out and be handcuffed voluntarily if Torres and the other patrolmen would agree to move "way back."

Then he asked to scratch his nose again. Barnes consented. And Torres fired.

Geer, grabbing his wound, screamed in pain and stepped back, slamming his door.
                      All of this was caught on video and still the guy is walking around free and is still a cop.
                      HE should be doing 30 years without the possibility of parole.
                      For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• Originally posted by anil View Post
                        I wouldn't peddle gossip like that.
                        Then you really are living in wonderland.

North does like to mark its territory but describing them as culturally deviant is very defamatory and wrong.
                        Their actions speak for them, and one does not become defamatory by calling a spade a spade.
                        You want to hide your head in the sand, then that is your choice.

I am rather shocked by your callous attitude to something that is quite an issue in India. But then the attitude you are displaying may be the reason for such an issue to still exist.
                        Last edited by lemontree; 19 Feb 15,, 10:34.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                          I am rather shocked by your callous attitude to something that is quite an issue in India. But then the attitude you are displaying may be the reason for such an issue to still exist.
                          There was an incident recently in my city where these girls (not nepali, not from the NE) but local and married went out for ice cream. And got harrassed by a bunch of boys. Why ? they should not be out late at night ie moral policing. They filmed the episode on their phones and called their husbands.

I can't imagine single guys having an issue with girls being out at night. If anything that's a good thing i'd have thought !!

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                            There was an incident recently in my city where these girls (not nepali, not from the NE) but local and married went out for ice cream. And got harrassed by a bunch of boys. Why ? they should not be out late at night ie moral policing. They filmed the episode on their phones and called their husbands.
                            Yup, that incident was all over the news channels, and the chaps got arrested too.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                              Sorry I got in a bit late. Obama's comments were apt, and in fact his comments and the drubbing the BJP got in the elections is what seems to have prompted the RSS to shut the VHP from making communal rants and Modi personally ordered the Delhi Police Commissioner to act after the 6th attack of church property within 2-3 months.

We don't want to be chided by an outsider, but we will continue to prosecute minorities!!
                              Actually a closer examination on the church attacks revealed that it was a smokescreen and only served to feed the false premise that the Modi government was anti minority all along. See here: Crying wolf: Narrative of ?Delhi church attacks? flies in the face of facts - Firstpost

It was a very clever ploy by the AAP and its media allies to paint Modi as anti-minority and cast the blame on Modi when the above facts revealed that out of 6, 5 were deemed to be non hate crimes, where half of them were due to run of the mill burglary crimes and the others accidents, nothing of a hate crime nature.

Yes Modi had to step in because the AAP and the Catholic Church was so adept in making this into something that it was not - a falsehood that the RSS, and therefore, BJP was somehow behind this "wave of violence"

Enjoy the ill gotten fruits of crying wolf, my friend, and see how far that takes you.

Comment

• How it's supposed to be done:

Comment

Working...
                                X