Alabama Cops ATTACKED and PARALYZED Indian Grandfather by using excessive force

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by antimony View Post
    It is the harsh truth from the POV of someone who wants India to rapidly improve. I am in that camp, any pace of progress is not enough and we need to push harder just to reach decent international standards.

But if you do visit, you should be fairly comfortable as long as you are on a first world budget. Just avoid the urges to "do as the natives do" and stick to the larger cities with their malls, places to visit and stuff.

If you do indeed want to be uncomfortable, then, well...
    Never did understand 'poverty tourism'. In some ways I almost find it almost insulting - 'look how good I am pretending to be poor for a few days'. Move in for 6 months or a year & you get respect. I get the value in understanding that some people live difficult & different lives, but I'm happy to gain that understanding by observation rather than participation. I'm very fond of floors, decent roofs, plumbing & electricity. Not at all fond biting parasites or food poisoning.

Love to visit India one day, but I won't be getting the 'whole experience'.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by Batista View Post
      I wanted to put a thread on Obama's stupid comment about "Tolerance and Gandhi" even after he received overwhelming welcome in India but then abstained.He did a very ungrateful and immature thing to bring "Gandhi" into the picture and destroy his own recently elevated reputation.Highly Hypocritical.
      Sorry I got in a bit late. Obama's comments were apt, and in fact his comments and the drubbing the BJP got in the elections is what seems to have prompted the RSS to shut the VHP from making communal rants and Modi personally ordered the Delhi Police Commissioner to act after the 6th attack of church property within 2-3 months.

We don't want to be chided by an outsider, but we will continue to prosecute minorities!!

The victim in this case will get complete justice from US law and civil society, but will similar justice be available to anyone of us here in India?

Two stupid cops don't represent the US, just as the rabid right wingers don't represent India's Hindus.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by anil View Post
        Are you stupid?

The NE racism issue has become like the case of the boy who cried wolf. It has been over done. You can pull a 30min sensational show out of your ass for higher TV ratings but not statistics. NDTVs nitin gokhale tries to put it very subtly
        No sir...you are being stupid.
        You seem to know nothing of what the North easterners go through in Delhi.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
          No sir...you are being stupid.
          You seem to know nothing of what the North easterners go through in Delhi.
          Perhaps I AM stupid for using common sense.

Ever heard of a nepali in india being beaten up because he looked mongoloid? The irony is that it only and always seems to happen to NE people outside NE. What do make of this claim? wink
          Last edited by anil; 17 Feb 15,, 10:56.

Comment

Perhaps I AM stupid for using common sense.

Ever heard of a nepali in india being beaten up because he looked mongoloid? The irony is that it only and always seems to happen to NE people outside NE. What do make of this claim? wink
            I don't think its a case of crying wolf. There are many NE students and workers in Bangalore especially in the restaurant trade. I have seen the way people behave towards them.
            For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

NORTHEAST MONOLOGUES: What according to you would be the major challenges for the Northeast in the next decade?

Nitin Gokhale: The biggest challenge the North East faces, in my personal view, is to overcome "We are the victims" mindset that dominates the public discourse in the region.
              Agree, how much more empowered they stand to become by not allowing any of this to upset them.

as for major challenge for NE, i want transit through Bangladesh. Everything else will work it self out after :)

Comment

in fact his comments and the drubbing the BJP got in the elections is what seems to have prompted the RSS to shut the VHP from making communal rants and
                You asked some time back whether the zealots can be contained.

What i'm unsure about is whether they can pin the blame on them as yet or not. the media alludes to it. But i've always seen these characters as self-appointed unelected guardians of the faith with dubious legitimacy. Blowhards that want to hog the limelight to increase their credibility. There have always been limits to that.

because of you we lost is something i'm waiting for better researched & argued commentary to confirm.

if so then Modi can push back against radical sangh parivar members. In any case he has done this in the past in Gujurat so no surprises there.

Modi personally ordered the Delhi Police Commissioner to act after the 6th attack of church property within 2-3 months.
                here

“My government will ensure that there is complete freedom of faith and that everyone has the undeniable right to retain or adopt the religion of his or her choice without coercion or undue influence. My government will not allow any religious group, belonging to the majority or the minority, to incite hatred against others, overtly or covertly. Mine will be a government that gives equal respect to all religions,” he said at a function in New Delhi.
                In a stern warning to fringe elements, he said, “We cannot accept violence against any religion on any pretext and I strongly condemn such violence. My government will act strongly in this regard.”
                But at the same time lets keep things in perspective too.

In report on church attacks, Bassi told Centre: Theft in 206 temples last year
                Are thefts & vandalism being called attacks ? Few years back in the case of the 500 odd churches 'attacked' in my state i found a lot of it.

Just one was gutted in Delhi and the cops say they have not been able to solve it. Guess that church is going to get a do over and look better than before :)

Bassi presented the data at a meeting with Home Ministry officials after he was summoned by Prime Minister Narendra Modi. According to the data, 206 temples, 30 gurdwaras, 14 mosques and three churches were burgled in 2014.
                How burgularies on temples spiked seven fold and mosques twice further in the space of two years is curious.

The victim in this case will get complete justice from US law and civil society, but will similar justice be available to anyone of us here in India?
                They got that by fighting for it and funding it. We can do the first part not so sure about the second.
                Last edited by Double Edge; 17 Feb 15,, 14:51.

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                  I don't think its a case of crying wolf. There are many NE students and workers in Bangalore especially in the restaurant trade. I have seen the way people behave towards them.
                  The case has similarities to the situation in mumbai. Here, the marathi culture(people) find the hindi culture(people) as "repulsive". However, physical confrontation or acts of violence between these two culture groups are few and hardly ever makes it to headlines.

We're of topic again

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                    I'll admit that I've never been to India, but isn't that a little harsh?
                    Its from a guy from the wastewater solid waste treatment sector that travels a lot across india.

Is it harsh, yes it is, however from my eyes it is what it is. I paid 200 thousand USD for a home in delhi and the municipality built a open sewer drain 300 meters away, don't get me started with the rest of it.

It's bad and we are trying to fix things, I am from a field working for a better india, and we are a democracy, one cannot fix problems by shifting entire masses or moving mountains, things are done slowly here. And I mean slower than a snail. A city starting a project to supply 24*7 water actually resulted in a half year long crippling protest. This will take time.

Bigotry of police forces and of people is something I have seen around me quite often and some thing i know when i see it, I expect better from more successful democracies, a better example for everyone. Sadly NEWS coming out of US is generally negative (given that good news don't sell) which creates a very negative perception, and the perception is they should improve things.

Comment

Originally posted by kuku View Post
                      Sadly NEWS coming out of US is generally negative (given that good news don't sell) which creates a very negative perception, and the perception is they should improve things.
                      Z does not have anything to sell, works with cops and see his views about them. Its not so different to attitudes people have to cops in India. Anecdotal but its given an idea of perceptions.

You have these league tables and then you have these surveys conducted which have a gap and it seems even in the developed countries they still have issues. I've seen similar with discussions about other countries and you think wait a minute this happens where i live how is it happening where you live :)
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 17 Feb 15,, 15:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                        Z does not have anything to sell, works with cops and see his views about them. Its not so different to attitudes people have to cops in India. Anecdotal but its given an idea of perceptions.

You have these league tables and then you have these surveys conducted which have a gap and it seems even in the developed countries they still have issues. I've seen similar with discussions about other countries and you think wait a minute this happens where i live how is it happening where you live :)
                        I am selling one thing- a belief in personal liberty and property rights. A massive all seeing police state whose enforcers are above the law is not a free society where liberty and property can flourish.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                          Never did understand 'poverty tourism'. In some ways I almost find it almost insulting - 'look how good I am pretending to be poor for a few days'. Move in for 6 months or a year & you get respect. I get the value in understanding that some people live difficult & different lives, but I'm happy to gain that understanding by observation rather than participation. I'm very fond of floors, decent roofs, plumbing & electricity. Not at all fond biting parasites or food poisoning.

Love to visit India one day, but I won't be getting the 'whole experience'.
                          It’s a beautiful place, just stay clear of the cities and everything modern (malls, the metropolitans and shit).

If you want to come travel the backwaters for a couple of days on a houseboat with a cook and full service and everything for less than 200 aus dollar everything included.
                          If you want to travel on a bike across the great Himalayas, or across the great south.
                          If you want to experience something ancient.
                          if you want to live like a king (a real king) for less than 100 aus dollar perday (everything included)

If you want to see a modern city, go to Sydney or something.

We're of topic again
                          Welcome to internet
                          Last edited by kuku; 17 Feb 15,, 17:12.

Comment

For all the claims that some of my countrymen made here - Not all Nepalis who work in Bangalore or Mumbai or any other city is an Indian. NE do have Nepalis, but very small in terms of percentage/population. I understand that this is the internet and, well we dish out statements based upon what we read. Believe me, most Nepalis are from Nepal, not NE. They say they are from Darjeeling or Assam, but this is not true. Other ethnic groups from the NE? Yes. But is it fair that some of you guys who have never visited the NE, judge things based upon look and feel. Anil is a racist, I know that. His first argument with me here in WAB was 'why did the tribals go up the hill and how can we bring them back'. But DE, you too. It's a pity we engaged in a lot of good discussions.
                            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

its clearly a racism incident, the only reason a nice old man was slammed to the ground was because of the colour of his skin not the tone of his voice.
                              I agree there may be a larger police problem, but that aside, this particular incident was racism....
                              Last edited by kuku; 17 Feb 15,, 17:34.

Comment

Every man with mongloid features is called a nepali, gurkha, chinki, bahadur in India. I know i am.Its done as a derogatory statement.
                                And i am sad for them, for the blood the Nepalis have spent for India, they should be saluted all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X