Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anil View Post
    Are you stupid?

The NE racism issue has become like the case of the boy who cried wolf. It has been over done. You can pull a 30min sensational show out of your ass for higher TV ratings but not statistics. NDTVs nitin gokhale tries to put it very subtly
    anil
    Contributor

20 Sep 12

Not a single worthy post. What happened? Some sleek chick from the NE gutted you?
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by kuku View Post
      Every man with mongloid features is called a nepali, gurkha, chinki, bahadur in India. I know i am.Its done as a derogatory statement.
      And i am sad for them, for the blood the Nepalis have spent for India, they should be saluted all the time.
      Given the hots Anil has for goons like the Shiv Sena, who thrive on regional bigotry, I don't think he will ever understand something like this
      "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Let's keep it on topic guys :)
        Supporting or defending Donald Trump is such an unforgivable moral failing that it calls every bit of your judgement and character into question. Nothing about you should be trusted if you can look at this man and find redeemable value

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
          I am selling one thing- a belief in personal liberty and property rights. A massive all seeing police state whose enforcers are above the law is not a free society where liberty and property can flourish.
          Right, this is what people will be saying if we increase cops in my country.

Too few not good, too much = police state.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
            Anil is a racist, I know that. His first argument with me here in WAB was 'why did the tribals go up the hill and how can we bring them back'. But DE, you too. It's a pity we engaged in a lot of good discussions.
            I know everything you're referring to. When i lived in england, some sections there do not consider there is such a country as India. We are all from Pakistan. I've had loads of abuse. Also from arabs when i grew up in the ME. Like you i kept myself in this 'racism' prison. It was many years later that i broke out of it. Few members here helped with that. Wish i met them earlier would have saved lots of unnecessary stress.

You get abuse on the street, its a dog barking, should have the same effect, does not stop you going about your business.

Try it, now you got an invisble force shield. You don't get insulted. You are coherent and ready in case things go beyond. fight or flight. You dont even have to fight, just deflect or use repartee, most times it does not go beyond. Same thing with those cartoons. can't control what people say, but you have full control of what you perceive.

Real racism is rare. There is no deep seated hatred of people from the NE in India. Its mostly harassment. There are a few cases where it goes beyond but they are rare. Don't fall for the victim complex. it sucks and makes you feel helpless. Bad place to be.

The irony of this thread is if it was a not an Indian guy that got attacked there would not even be a thread. This is an issue for the people who live in the town where this occured. I'd be anxious if i lived there regardless of what colour i was. What goes around comes around.

A lot of people would endorse what anil said. Are we all racists now. Maybe you should examine how you define racism. Keep the bar high and you will be fine, the r word should be the last thing on your mind not the first, better still to not use it :)

Hint: if he advocated violence against people from a certain area, you'd be on stronger ground. Did he ? no.
            Last edited by Double Edge; 17 Feb 15,, 19:54.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
              A lot of people would endorse what anil said. Are we all racists now. Maybe you should examine how you define racism. Keep the bar high and you will be fine, the r word should be the last thing on your mind not the first, better still to not use it :)
              I second this. Accusing another WAB member of racism is very incautious step to take.
              Supporting or defending Donald Trump is such an unforgivable moral failing that it calls every bit of your judgement and character into question. Nothing about you should be trusted if you can look at this man and find redeemable value

Comment

Such is the tyranny of hurt sentiment.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut View Post
                  Man...that "white privilege" comes in handy

I'm just yanking your chain. Are you white? I forgot.
                  I'm Chinese.

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                  Can I suggest another category. Police often deal with people who are difficult. Some may be petty criminals, others may be agitated or stupid or drug affected or mentally ill. Not 'average citizens in normal circumstances'. Sometimes ordinary people may become difficult if they feel police are treating them unfairly, even if the police see it as reasonable. I'm not just talking US now, its everywhere. This is where training, culture & institutional attitudes are crucial because this is where escalation can have bad or even tragic consequences. This is where training to de-escalate and a culture that encourages that are crucial. I don't think its as simple as 'rogue' elements. They are an issue, but only one.

If police in Britain only fired their guns 3 times in a 12 month period that speaks to a particular police culture. One of the things it means is that British police don't shoot the mentally ill at anywhere near the rate we do in Australia or you do in the US. That alone is something I wish we could find a way to replicate, as we lost mentally ill person last week to police gunfire. I wouldn't suggest that culture can be transferred wholesale to the US or that it should be, but there must be lessons, even for the 'good' departments.
                  That's the other huge elephant in the room. When should police escalate and when should they de-escalate? I think we are off-kilter in many parts of the US, but I don't think British police has it right either.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                    Can I suggest another category. Police often deal with people who are difficult. Some may be petty criminals, others may be agitated or stupid or drug affected or mentally ill. Not 'average citizens in normal circumstances'. Sometimes ordinary people may become difficult if they feel police are treating them unfairly, even if the police see it as reasonable. I'm not just talking US now, its everywhere. This is where training, culture & institutional attitudes are crucial because this is where escalation can have bad or even tragic consequences. This is where training to de-escalate and a culture that encourages that are crucial. I don't think its as simple as 'rogue' elements. They are an issue, but only one.

If police in Britain only fired their guns 3 times in a 12 month period that speaks to a particular police culture. One of the things it means is that British police don't shoot the mentally ill at anywhere near the rate we do in Australia or you do in the US. That alone is something I wish we could find a way to replicate, as we lost mentally ill person last week to police gunfire. I wouldn't suggest that culture can be transferred wholesale to the US or that it should be, but there must be lessons, even for the 'good' departments.
                    I have to think de-escalation would be SOP. Because its the cheapest tactic with big rewards.

As far as cops go i've always found Briitsh cops to be the least intimidating. They have presence without any of the weapons a US cop carries as std issue. We've imbibed some of that in India.

US means first thing they have to worry about is whether the other is armed but once past that point i don't see why what you said can't be done. I have to believe the better cops every where employ it. How do you mandate it, heh.

Let's see if there is any more reflective reporting on this coming up by people in the field. Not seen any posted so far. The how do we deal with this and try to reduce chances it does not happen again variety.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                      For all the claims that some of my countrymen made here - Not all Nepalis who work in Bangalore or Mumbai or any other city is an Indian.
                      When I used the word "nepali", I wasn't referring just to citizens of nepal residing in india. There are vast colonies of nepali castes(chetri gorka gurung etc) around india who hold various identity papers alluding to indian citizenship.

I was trying to give you an example of an established group of mongoloid people who have deep interests with india with a history of engagement spanning centuries back to ancient india. The NE communities(everyone of the valley and of the hill) have roughly 2 decades of engagement with people in mainland india.
                      Last edited by anil; 18 Feb 15,, 07:01.

Comment

• Originally posted by anil View Post
                        Perhaps I AM stupid for using common sense.
                        I seriously doubt that....

Ever heard of a nepali in india being beaten up because he looked mongoloid? The irony is that it only and always seems to happen to NE people outside NE. What do make of this claim? wink
                        Just because you did not hear it, it does not mean it does not happen.
                        Did you ever wonder why the Gorkhas in Darjeeling are demanding a separate state??

Go and ask the Nepalese girls, on how they are treated by our north Indian brothers!!...
                        Last edited by lemontree; 18 Feb 15,, 08:18.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

• In case no one caught this one here is another recent example of excessive force in my opinion.

17 Year-Old-Girl Shot Dead By Three Cops At Police Station

On Thursday, 17-year-old Kristiana Coignard was shot dead by three police officers in the lobby of the Longview Police Department. Coignard arrived at the station around 6:30 p.m. and asked to talk to an officer. Police say the girl was “brandishing a weapon” before she was shot four times.

The three officers, who have not been identified, have been placed on leave. The investigation of Coignard’s death is now being handled by the Texas Rangers.

The incident, at this point, is shrouded in mystery. Officials could not “confirm the type of weapon Coignard brandished at the officers.” Beyond the alleged, unspecified weapon, virtually no details about the events that immediately preceded Coignard’s death have been released.

Coignard was living in Longview with her Aunt, Heather Robertson. In an interview with ThinkProgress, Robertson raised questions about the circumstances of Coignard’s death. “I think it was a cry for help. I think they could have done something. They are grown men. I think there is something they are not telling us.”

Robertson said that her niece had been struggling with mental illness, including depression and bipolar disorder, since her mother died when she was four. She had been hospitalized twice in recent years after suicide attempts. One time, she tried to hang herself. Another time, she drank toilet bowl cleaner. Since arriving in Longview in December, Coignard had been taking medication and regularly seeing a therapist. She had no criminal record and “was only violent with herself, ” Robertson said.

Robertson and Coignard’s grandmother, Holly McGuire, spoke to a Longview police officer on the night Coignard was killed for about 30 minutes. They were provided with few details of what transpired but were told that a video of the incident, including sound, exists. They have not been contacted by the Texas Rangers.

Kristian Brian, a spokesperson for the Longview Police Department, declined to comment further on the case, citing the ongoing investigation by the Texas Rangers. Brian did confirm that a video of the incident exists.

Police officers frequently encounter the mentally ill, but often do not receive training. As a result “rash stigmatization and misinterpretation of the intentions of the mentally ill can cause vital errors and ultimately make the difference between life and death.”

Coignard’s death also raises questions about use of force protocols in the United States. British citizens, for example, “are about 100 times less likely to be shot by police, according to the Economist.”

Officers in Longview were involved in two fatal shootings in 2014, including one involving a 15-year-old. In both instances, the officers were cleared by a grand jury.
                          I argued this with a colleague in Texas who of course is extremely conservative. He saw no issues with this at all. The police were in fear for their life and were justified. I asked how dangerous could a small 17 year old girl be with a knife? He said a knife can be a dangerous weapon in a person's hands and had I ever seen a knife fight. What, she is a teenage girl and not a Navy Seal. I bowed out after that.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                            I argued this with a colleague in Texas who of course is extremely conservative. He saw no issues with this at all. The police were in fear for their life and were justified. I asked how dangerous could a small 17 year old girl be with a knife? He said a knife can be a dangerous weapon in a person's hands and had I ever seen a knife fight. What, she is a teenage girl and not a Navy Seal. I bowed out after that.
                            The cop must have seen visions of "Kill Bill" in her.
                            However, a tragic and sad way for a young person to die.

Cheers!...on the rocks!!

Comment

• Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                              Just because you did not hear it, it does not mean it does not happen.
                              This statement?

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                              Did you ever wonder why the Gorkhas in Darjeeling are demanding a separate state??
                              It's hard to claim indian citizenship when the nation state of nepal exists just a few kms away

Originally posted by lemontree View Post
                              Go and ask the Nepalese girls, on how they are treated by our north Indian brothers!!...
                              I wouldn't peddle gossip like that.

North does like to mark its territory but describing them as culturally deviant is very defamatory and wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                                In case no one caught this one here is another recent example of excessive force in my opinion.

17 Year-Old-Girl Shot Dead By Three Cops At Police Station

I think I saw this video on Live Leak. Thing is, she came at one of them swinging with a knife. It looked like some scene from the movie Scream. I would have shot also if I were there.

The part that didn't quite compute for me: the cop who got her to the ground but couldn't keep her down despite outweighing her by at least 100 lbs. That guy needs to hit the gym hard.
                                Last edited by citanon; 18 Feb 15,, 09:12.

Comment

Working...
                                X