No announcement yet.

Entitlement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Been meaning to post Modi's two speeches in Parliament because they're important

PM’s reply to the motion of thanks on the President's Address in the Rajya Sabha | Feb 08 2021

I would like to present a quote before this House and my special request to all those who doubt our democracy and our fundamental strength to try to understand it. "Our democracy is not a western institution in any sense. This is a human institution. India's history is full of examples of democratic institutions. We get a description of 81 republics in ancient India. It is necessary to caution the countrymen regarding the attacks on India’s nationalism. India's nationalism is neither narrow nor selfish nor aggressive. It is inspired by the values of "Satyam Shivam Sundaram".

This quote is from Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose, the first prime minister of the first government of the Azad Hind Fauj. And, incidentally, we are celebrating his 125th birth anniversary. But, unfortunately, we have inadvertently forgotten this spirit of Netaji, his views and ideals. And the result is that we are bashing ourselves today. Sometimes, I am surprised that we continue to hold on to some word coined by the world. It feels good to listen when people mention India as the world’s largest democracy. Yes, India is the largest democracy in the world.

But we have not taught our younger generation that India is the mother of democracy. It is the mother of democracy. It is not that we are just the largest democracy; this country is the mother of democracy. We have to teach this to our future generations and we have to affirm it proudly because our ancestors have given us the heritage. It is not that we are a democratic country because India's governance is democratic. Our system is democratic because the culture, traditions and mind of India is democratic. Basically, we are democratic.

Remember those days of Emergency, what was the condition of judiciary, media and governance?

Everything had been converted into jails, but nobody could shake the people of the country, who were animated with the colours of democracy. He influenced democracy as soon as he was given an opportunity. This is the strength of people, our cultures and the democratic values.

The issue is not which government imposed it. I am not discussing that and neither have I been sent here to spend time on such issues. We have to move forward while defending democratic values.
    Modi would know a thing or two about emergency since his party along with every other was put in chains.

We're not democratic because the Brits brought it over. We're democratic because we have it in our genes.

All the Brits did was leave us with a process. We could have got rid of it long ago if we knew less.

There has been a lot of discussion on the farmers’ agitation in the House. Most of the debates revolved around the agitation. But all of them were silent regarding the reason behind the agitation. What is the agitation and what is happening with the agitation? All these things are very important, but it would have been good to have a discussion on the basic issue. Our honorable Agriculture Minister asked several good questions, but I know we are not going to get the answers to those questions.

There are some people who are making efforts so that India remains unstable and disturbed. We have to identify these people.

We are very familiar with some words – Shramjivis (those who labour), Buddhijivis (intellectuals). I have noticed that for some time, a new jamaat has been born; a new community has come forward. That is Andolanjeevi (those who live off protests). If there is a lawyers’ protest, they are seen there; if there is a students’ agitation, they will be seen there; if there is a protest by labourers, they will be seen there. Sometimes, they are behind the curtains, sometimes in front of it.

There is a breed of Andolanjeevis. They can’t live without agitation and find ways to keep themselves alive through agitations. We will have to identify them who reach everywhere and give an ideological stand, mislead and tell them new ways to protest. The country needs to be aware of these Andolanjeevi people. This is their strength – they can’t do anything for themselves and take credit for something already there. They are parasites.

And, here, everybody must be enjoying my words because you must also have experienced such parasitic movements wherever you run governments in the states. And, therefore, in the same way, I have noticed a new thing. The country is progressing; we are talking about FDI which is Foreign Direct Investment.

But I see that a new FDI has come into the fray these days. The country needs to be protected from this new FDI. We need FDI i.e., Foreign Direct Investment. But the new FDI is Foreign Destructive Ideology and, therefore, we need to be more alert to save the country from this FDI.
    Those that live abroad and try to stir up trouble.

Let us not forget what happened to Punjab. During Partition, Punjab suffered the most. When the 84 riots took place, most tears were shed in Punjab. Punjab was the victim of the most tragic incidents. What happened in Jammu-Kashmir? Innocents were killed. Guns and bullets rained in the North-East. All these developments have done a lot of damage to the country in some form or the other. What are the forces which are behind all these developments? Every government has seen it, understood it and probed it. Therefore, we have moved fast to solve all these problems. Let’s not forget that some people are poisoning the minds of our Sikh brothers in Punjab. This country is proud of every Sikh. What not they have done for the country? However, much we honour them, it would not be enough. I have had the opportunity to eat the bread of Punjab. I have spent the important years of my life in Punjab, so I know. And, therefore, the language that some people speak for them, those who try to mislead them will not serve any good to the country. And, therefore, we need to be concerned about this situation.

We are moving ahead from the beginning with the mantra of Sabka Saath, Sabka Vikas, Sabka Vishwas. It is because of this that our problems in the North-East or Naxal-infested areas are slowing down gradually resulting in the opportunities for our colleagues to return to the mainstream of development. I can see clearly that the Eastern India will play a very big role in the bright future of India.
    Aimed squarely at the Kahlistanis

What is the basic problem of farming? What is the root of the problem? Today, I want to mention what former Prime Minister Chaudhary Charan Singh ji explained in detail.

He would often quote the agriculture census in 1971. This is what Chaudhary Charan Singh ji said: In the census of farmers, it was found that there are 33 percent farmers who own either two bighas of land or less than two bighas of land. Eighteen percent farmers have land between 2 and 4 bighas, i.e., half hectare or one hectare of land. This 51 percent population of farmers can’t live off in honesty with such a small land, no matter how hard they work. This is the quote of Chaudhary Charan Singh ji.

Chaudhary Charan Singh ji was always pained by the pathetic condition of small farmers. He was always concerned about it. Now see what has happened. The farmers owning less than one hectare of land constituted 51 percent in 1971 and which has increased to 68 percent. It means that the number of farmers in the country is increasing who have very little land. If we add the small and marginal farmers, then there are 86 percent of farmers who have less than two hectares of land. The number of such farmers is 12 crores.

Do we have no responsibility towards these 12 crore farmers? Does the country have no responsibility? Will we ever have to keep these 12 crore farmers at the centre of our schemes or not? The answer to this question has been left behind by Chaudhary Charan Singh ji for us. We have to find the answer to pay a true tribute to Chaudhary Charan Singh ji. And everyone will have to contribute to this.

Did the small farmer matter to the previous governments? I am not saying this for criticism, but we need to think. When elections approach; there are loan waiver announcements. This is a farmers’ program, but, in fact, it is a program for votes, everybody knows it very well. But when the loans are waived, the small farmers are deprived of it.

He does not get anything, because loan waiver is for those who take loans from banks. The small farmer does not even have a bank account and from where will he get a loan. We might have done politics, but we have not done anything for small farmers. The farmer owning one or two acres of land does not have a bank account and he does not take loan and neither does he get the benefit of loan waiver.

Similarly, what was the earlier crop insurance scheme? It was a kind of an insurance which used to act as a bank guarantee. And it was not available for small farmers. The scheme was only for those farmers who had taken loans from banks. Only they were insured and the banks were also assured of their money.

Today, how many farmers are there who have less than two hectare of land and take loans from banks? Even the irrigation facility is not available to small farmers. Big farmers would install huge pumps, tube wells and also get electricity and that too free of cost. Irrigation was also a problem for a small farmer. He could not afford to install the tube well. Sometimes, he used to buy water from a big farmer and he used to pay the price as demanded by the big farmer.

Big farmers did not have any problem in getting urea. The small farmer was made to stand in a queue throughout the night for urea. Sometimes, he used to be cane charged and he would return home without urea. We know the condition of the small farmers. We made some changes after 2014. We expanded the scope of the Crop Insurance Scheme so that the small farmer could also avail it. We started with a very small amount and in the last 4-5 years, the farmers have got claims worth 90,000 crore rupees under the Crop Insurance Scheme. The figure is much more than loan waiver schemes.

Now, look at the Kisan Credit Cards. Earlier also there were credit cards for farmers but it was meant for big farmers only and who could secure loans from banks at a very low interest. In some states, they got loans at zero percent interest. They used to utilize this money in some other enterprise. It was not in the destiny of the small farmer. Then we decided to provide credit cards to every farmer in the country. Not only that, we also extended its ambit to fishermen so that they could also take advantage of it. More than 1.75 crore farmers have availed of the Kisan credit card. We are also requesting other states to extend it further so that maximum farmers can take advantage of it. More the help from the states, more the help to the farmers! Similarly, we introduced another scheme – Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi Yojana. Under it, the amount goes directly to the bank accounts of the farmers. These constitute the farmers who were never assured of any help. There are 10 crore families who have benefited from it.

If politics did not come in the way of Bengal, if the farmers of Bengal had joined this scheme, the figure would have been more than that and so far 1,15,000 crore rupees would have gone to the account of these small farmers. The focal point of all our schemes is the Soil Health card. We talked about soil health cards for 100 percent farmers as to help the small farmer know what kind of land he has and is meant for which crop. We worked for a 100 percent soil health card. Similarly, we gave 100 percent neem coated urea. The intention behind 100 percent was that even the poorest of the poor farmers did not have any difficulty in getting urea. Similarly, we came up with the pension scheme for the small and marginal farmers. Now, our small farmers are also becoming part of the scheme. Similarly, Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana – it is not confined to roads only, but it is a very important scheme to change the fortune of the farmers of the country and we emphasized on it. For the first time, we decided about Kisan Rail. The small farmer had difficulty selling his produce. Today, the farmers of the villages are selling their produce, fruits and vegetables in the markets of Mumbai because of Kisan Rail. The small farmer is benefiting. Kisan Udan Yojana – earlier our farmers in the North-East could not take advantage of selling their best products in the absence of a transportation system. Today, he is getting the benefit of the Kisan Udan Yojana. Everyone is familiar with the sufferings of small farmers... There has also been a demand for their empowerment from time to time.
    Everything mentioned here is to the benefit of the small farmer which is the future trend as land holdings get smaller.

every government has advocated agricultural reforms. Everybody has said that reforms should take place. And this is not something that has happened today, it was there in the previous governments also. All these discussions have been going on for the last two decades. It is not that it started only after our government was formed. Everybody has said that time has come and it will be done. There may be a coma, full stop here and there, but nobody can claim that their thinking on this issue was perfect. Even I also can’t claim that our approach is the best and no new approach can be there after 10 years. This does not happen. Social life is transformatory.

What we felt right in the present circumstances, we decided to improve things. Where will progress be if hurdles are put up? And, therefore, I am surprised at the sudden U-turn by some on the issue. Now they corner the government on the issue of agitation and also tell the farmers simultaneously that reforms are very important. Several years have passed and new things have to be introduced. This is how the country moves ahead but now I feel that politics overpowers own ideas.

Respected Dr. Manmohan Singh ji is present here and I would like to read one of his quotes. Perhaps, those who are taking U-turn may not agree with me, but will certainly agree with Manmohan Singh ji. “There are other rigidities because of the whole marketing regime setup in the 1930’s which prevent our farmers from selling their produce where they get the highest rate of return. It is our intention to remove.... It is our intention to remove all those handicaps which come in the way of India realizing its vast potential as one large common market.”

This is the quote of respected Manmohan Singh ji. Respected Manmohan Singh ji had expressed his intention to give the farmer the freedom to sell the produce, to give India an agricultural market. And that is what we are doing. And you should be proud... Look... Respected Manmohan Singh ji said this ... it is being done by Modi. Take pride in it. And the best part is that those who resort to politicizing the issue have done something or the other in their states as well.

All the opposition parties here have done something or the other in the states ruled by them. They also know that this is the way out. I have noticed that the spirit of law was not discussed on the issue. The complaint is that the process was not correct and it has been done in haste. Whenever there is a marriage in a family, you will find an elderly woman complaining about the invite. “Where was I called? It does happen in such a huge family.”
    Almost futile to point this out because every opposition party plays politics with agriculture reform. Complete hipocrites. Result is agriculture reform is stymied

Let us now pay attention to different issues. Take for example milk production. It is not tied up in any bondage. Both private and cooperatives have formed such a strong chain together in the field of milk. There is an excellent supply chain in our country. This did not happen in my tenure. You can take pride that this was done before me. We all should be proud of it.

Fruit- vegetable-related business has a direct link to most of the markets. There is no interference in the markets and it is beneficial.

Do the entrepreneurs, who buy dairy products or vegetables, occupy the land of cattle farmers or farmers or their cattle? No. Milk is sold, but not the cattle.

The contribution of the dairy industry is more than 28 percent of the total value of the agricultural economy. And, there is a turnover of about eight lakh crores of rupees. The value of milk is more than the combined value of cereals and pulses. We never look at this aspect. The cattle farmers have full freedom. Why should the small and marginal farmers, who produce cereals and pulses, not get freedom? If we find answers to these questions, we will move on the right path.
    Milk farmers are free to sell milk to who ever they chose to and have been doing so for decades now. Why then is there fear with other farmers then ?

Whenever one has to carry out minor changes in the house, there is tension. Why has the chair or table been kept here? And India is such a vast country and the kind of traditions that we have grown up with, it is natural that there will be a little bit of confusion whenever something new comes.

But remember the days, when there used to be debate on the Green Revolution. The agricultural reforms that took place at the time of the Green Revolution; there were apprehensions, agitations. Everything is well documented. When Shastri ji was to take tough decisions for agricultural reforms, none of his colleagues was ready to become the Agriculture Minister. They felt their hands would be burnt, the farmers would be angry, and the politics would be over. These are the events during Shastri ji's time, and finally Shastri ji had to make Mr. Subramaniam the Agriculture Minister. The Planning Commission also opposed reforms proposed by him. There was also a murmur of protest in the entire cabinet, including the finance ministry. But Shastri ji moved ahead for the betterment of the country.

The language that the Left parties speak today, they used the same language then. They used to accuse Shastri ji and the Congress party of doing it at the behest of the US. Everybody used to dub the Congress leaders as the agents of the US. The same language was used by the Left parties then also which they are using today. They dubbed the agricultural reforms as something which will destroy the small farmers. Hundreds of protests were organized in the country. A massive movement was launched. In the midst of all these, Lal Bahadur Shastri ji and the governments after him continued with the reforms and it is the result of that what we used to import under the PL-480 program is produced in our country by our farmers. Despite record production, there are problems in the agricultural sector. Nobody can deny it, but we all have to find a solution to the problems. And I believe now the time will not wait.
    This was the part I was interested in. Lal Bahadur Shastri faced even bigger resistance until his reforms birthed the Green Revolution. Course Indira reaped the benefit from those reforms. India went from requiring food aid from the US in the early 60s to becoming self sufficient within a decade.

Norman Borlaugh and the Rockefeller foundation get the credit for making the Green Revolution possible.

I believe that we will have to move ahead by finding new solutions. As I said earlier, many laws need amendments after two or five years. We can’t live in a static environment. When there are good suggestions they are followed up with good reforms. And not only my government, earlier governments have also accepted good reforms. This is the democratic tradition. Therefore, we should move ahead with good suggestions. I invite all of you. Let’s take this country forward by finding solutions to the problems in the agricultural sector and convincing the protesters. If not today, whosoever is here will have to do this work in the future. I have done it today. Let the brickbats come to me, but unite for doing this good work. Let the brickbats come to me; let the credit go to you. Let’s move ahead together. Our Agriculture Minister has been regularly talking to the farmers. Continuous meetings are happening. There is no tension. Efforts are on to understand each other. We always urge the protesters that it is their right to protest. But the elderly people who are sitting there is not good. Please send them back. You end this agitation and doors are open for further negotiations. We have said this earlier and I am extending this invite through this House.

It is certain that it is time to take decisions to make our farming prosperous and we should not lose time. We should move forward.. The country should not be taken back. Whether it is the ruling party or the opposition or the agitating colleagues, we should give chance to reforms. And we should see whether these changes benefit us or not. If there is any deficiency, it will be corrected. If there is any laxity, it will be taken care of. It is not that all doors have been closed. Therefore, I assure that there will be more competition if mandis are modernized.

We have also made a provision regarding this in the Budget. MSP is there, MSP was there and MSP will remain. We should understand the sanctity of this House. More than 80 crore people who are given cheap ration should continue to get it. Therefore, please don’t spread confusion, because we have been given a special responsibility by the country. We also need to emphasize other measures to increase the income of the farmers. The population is growing, within the family, the number of members is increasing. The land is being fragmented. In such a situation, something has to be done so that the burden on the farmers is reduced, and we can provide more opportunities to the farmers. We have to work to alleviate their sufferings and I believe that we will push the farmers into darkness if we delay any further and get entangled in political equations. Kindly, we should avoid this for the bright future of farmers. I pray to all. We will have to worry about it.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 16 Feb 21,, 12:40.

Comment

• PM’s reply to the Motion of Thanks on the President’s address in Lok of Sabha | Feb 10 2021

During the corona period we introduced three farm laws. These agricultural reforms were the need of the hour and crucial to resolve the challenges being faced by the agricultural sector since ages. To revive them we would definitely have to make concerted and relentless efforts. In this direction we have made an honest attempt. The future challenges in agricultural sector brought to light by eminent experts, and its not my saying, have to be dealt with at warfooting. And hence we made an attempt without any delay. While the discussion was on here, I was observing my worthy opposition, especially my friends from Congress, debating the colour of the law whether it is black or white. It would have been great had they also disussed its content and intent so that the farmers of the country would have received correct picture.

The farmer brothers and sisters who are protesting at the Delhi borders are victims of wrong assumptions and rumours which were spread around.

This house respects the sentiments of all the farmer friends who are agitating, and this government too will continue to respect them. And hence, senior ministers of the government have been constantly in a dialogue with them ever since their Punjab agitation as well as afterwards. We are doing this in honour and solidarity for our farmers. With deepest regards.

There have been continuous dialogues. Even during the days when the agitation was only in the state of Punjab. It continued even when they moved to Delhi. Several efforts were made to understand the doubts in the minds of these farmers. The farmers were continuously encouraged to spell out each and every concern of theirs during these discussions. Narendra Singh Tomar ji has mentioned this in detail in Rajyasabha.They were even invited for a clause by clause discussion. We believe that if this law indeed has such deficiencies/loopholes which are seriously damaging to the farmers, then there is certainly no harm in modifying it. It is for the citizens of the country. If some decisions are taken, it is for the welfare of the farmers. We have been waiting and shall still continue to wait. In case they point out something specific which is also convincing then we have no hesitation in revisiting the law. We have been reiterating this ever since their earliest days of protest in Punjab.

These three laws were enforced only by ordinance. Later it was passed in Parliament. After the implementation of the law, no mandis have been closed in the country, neither the MSP has been stopped. This is the truth that we don’t speak about. This has no meaning. Not only this, the purchase on MSP has also increased and infact this has increased after the new legislation.

This ruckus, noise and creating roadblocks seems to be a pre meditated effort and a political game plan. But a planned political strategy is that the lies and false rumours being spread shall soon get busted and truth shall rightfully prevail. It will get difficult for them to stay. Hence, continue to create chaos here like you did outside. Continue with the gameplan. Rest assured you will never win the trust of people this way.

I would like to ask any of the farmers if they have been robbed of any of their previous rights, privileges or facilities post the ordinance or passing of the bill and framing of the new law in the parliament. No one answers or disusses this. Everything is as was in the past. Except that a new alternative has been recommended and which is not even compulsory. Protesting against a law is justified only when it is compulsory. This is optional. You are free to choose your options.

Through the ordinance and law, we are enabling a farmer to freely opt for that infrastructure which will be more profitable to him.

Speaker Sir, this law is such that it is not binding for any one. They do have an option and hence there seems no reason for any protest. Of course had this law been imposed, then the agitation would have been justified. That’s why I tell people that we are witnessing a new way of agitation. True agitationists do not resort to such methods. Only andolanjivis adopt such ways of protests. They are the ones who misinform and misguide by spreading false apprehensions. Why create fear about something that’s not going to happen at all, and instigating riot across the nation on something that is subjudice and judgement is awaited, from the Supreme Court. It should be a matter of deep concern for all those who have faith in democracy and non violence. Please have patience. You will surely get time later.

There is no restriction on old mandis as well. Not only this, this budget has provision for funds which have been allocated for the modernisation of their infrastructure. Hon’ble Speaker Sir, this decision was based on the vision of welfare and equity for all “sarvjan hitaye, sarvjan sukhaye”. Hon’ble Speaker Sir, members of this house surely realise that Congress and other big allies have strongly voiced their viewpoints here but evaded the real matters.

One would expect them to have studied the matter deeply. I am surprised to hear a new logic here that why give what was not asked for. First of all, it is entirely your choice to avail it or not. No one has forced you. It is optional. It is a system for such a huge nation. Some parts of the country would surely be benefitted from it. Maybe some may nor, but let it be known clearly that it is not compulsory. Hence there is nothing about being offered without being asked for. But still I would like to reiterate that no one had asked yet the law was enforced against dowry. No one had asked for it but this law was introduced for the development of our country.

Hon’ble Speaker, it may be noted that no one had demanded, but for a progressive nation it was important for us to bring laws against Triple talaak. We had to curb the malpractice of child marriage, and hence it was imperative for us to bring a law to stop child marriages. Such laws are required for the nation to progress and prosper. Did anyone demand for equal rights in property for daughters? Or right to education? But such reforms and laws are necessary for the country’s development and change. Has the nation ever seen so many reforms? The world is aware and haven’t they accepted it too?

I refuse to buy this thought of “did anyone ask for this?” Are we autocrats that our countrymen have to plead for something? Why should we compel them to demand? This kind of thought process is not in tandem with our democratic ways Hon’ble Speaker. Government needs to be compassionate. The government should come forward by taking responsibilities for the welfare of the people in a democratic way.

We are all aware of this fact that stagnant water causes several diseases. Flowing water enriches lives and brings joy. Whatever was relevant, let it continue. Its not done that when someone asks for something only then we shall take some steps. We must take responsible decisions according to the need of the hour. Status Quo… this mindset plays a big role in devastating any nation. The world is changing. How long should we stick with status quo. With this fixed mindset we cannot transform ourselves, and hence youth of the nation cannot keep waiting.

Agriculture and farming in our country is an age old tradition and a part of our culture. It has been a mainstream activity. Hence our farmers play a crucial role in sustaining our rich cultural heritage. Our sages have chronicled many aspects of agriculture in several scriptures. A lot of excellent experiences have been documented. Even our kings have been known to have plowed fields. Who hasn’t heard of the tales of Lord Janak or Lord Krishna and his brother Balram. Every affluent family has engaged in agriculture and farming. It is not just about cultivation of crops. Agriculture has been a crucial part of the Indian culture and its social structure. And that is why we are reiterating that it is inherent in our culture. Our festivals, victory and all other auspicious occasions are linked to reaping of crop and the harvest cycle. This has been our tradition. Our folk songs and music are based on farmer’s life and his crops. Our festivals are celebrated as per the seasonal crops. Such is the specialty of our country that even while we shower our blessings and greetings we use the words “dhan-dhaanya” meaning wealth and prosperity. Theses two words are inseparable. Such is the value and importance of our crops. It is an integral part of our social fabric. Currently the `situation is derailed and we have to reinstate decorum with utmost priority.

Post independence, in our country we had 28% farm labourers. In the census of the last decade this number rose to 55%. It definitely should be a matter of serious concern for any country. Due to diminishing land size the returns have reduced considerably and these farmers have had to face a lot of crisis. The dismal circumstances compelled them to become bonded labourers in some others agricultural land.

It is rather unfortunate that our agricultural sector is not receiving the magnitude of investment it requires. Government is unable to do enough, and sadly neither our state governments nor the farmers themselves are in a position to do as much. The farmers are barely able to make ends meet and fulfil the requirements of their families with whatever they earn. Hence there is dire need of investments in this sector. We cannot aspire to modernise our agricultural infrastructure until and unless we encourage huge investments in this sector. It is crucial to the development of advance infrastructure such that small farmers may reap benefits.

It is high time we strengthened our agricultural sector. It is important to make our farmers self reliant and give them freedom to sell their own produce. We have to make efforts in this direction now. Research is being done on the current trends in the market. We must produce what the market needs and thus create a space in global space for ourselves. We have our specific needs and we should not encourage imports of these items. I remember, when long back I used to work for the Sangathan, I got an opportunity to work for the northern part under Faroouq Sahab. A farmer from Haryana took me to his field once. Since he had requested a lot I obviously couldn’t turn down his invitation. He had a small land of about 1 or 1.5 acres. But he had progressed a lot. Upon his insistence, I became really curious. He was also excited to share, and hence I eventually agreed to visit. This was about 30-40 years back. Maybe 30 years or so. He had researched on the consumption of exotic varieties of vegetables imported by 5 star hotels of Delhi. If they required baby corns or cherry tomatoes, he would grow them in his small land in restricted environment with the help of some specialists and very soon started supplying to these 5 star hotels of Delhi. We just need to change the system a bit. Had we ever imagined that we would one day grow strawberries in Kutch desert? We thought that strawberries could be cultivated only in cold regions.

It is encouraging to see that strawberry is being cultivated even in Madhya Pradesh and Uttar Pradesh. Even in places like Bundelkhand where there is water scarcity farmers have been successfully cultivating it. It only reflects our immense capabilities. We simply need to guide the farmers and motivate them to experiment with new breed of crops. I have strong conviction that our farmers will soon come to the forefront and reimagine their agricultural practices. Indeed, having burnt their fingers in the past it will not be easy to win their trust. We should instill in them self confidence, and with some hand holding and mentoring they are bound to go along the path of development. Its just a matter of their first step. Once convinced they can bring miracles. In the same way, the more we increase investment in the agriculture sector, the more employment can be generated. We can create a space for ourselves in the global markets.

In order to transform our rural economy, agro business industry will also get the necessary boost. Hence, all our efforts and focus should be in this direction to make this sector totally self reliant. Even in several adverse situations our farmers have had record produce. Even during Corona phase several farmers have recorded phenomenal produce. It is the responsibility of each one of us to ensure that the problems of farmers are resolved. We must take adequate steps to cope with the challenges they are posed with. These agricultural reforms are small steps in the right direction. We need to provide the farmers with equal opportunities and advanced technology. This will instill self belief and confidence in them. We need to address these issues proactively and optimism.

If these obsolete thoughts and yardsticks could have improved the situations of the farmers’ then it would have been achieved ages back. We have spoken about Second green revolution. We must introduce new strategies for growth and we all must ponder over this. It should not be a matter of politics. It is the need of the hour for the betterment of our nation. And we should all unite for the cause. It is the collective responsibility of ruling as well as opposition. We cannot achieve success and advance our agriculture sector in 21st century with our 18th century thinking. We have to come out of this limiting thought process.

No one wants that our farmers to remain trapped in the vicious cycle of poverty. That they remain deprived of the right to live a quality life. I feel that they should not remain dependent and enslaved. They should not be compelled to live a life on government doles. This is the responsibility of all of us. We must all shoulder this and make our farmers prosper and contribute more in some way or the other in the development of the nation. They are bound to achieve if we provide them all possible growth opportunities.

Our government has supported the small farmers at every steps. We have brought in several such small and big interventions over the last six years to provide support to the farmers from seed to market. For example the dairy and cooperatives sector are robust as well as have strengthened their value chain.

With the interventions by the government this sector has witnesses compelling growth. We can gradually shift focus to fruits and vegetables as well as horticulture and eventually strengthen the grains and cereal segment. These sectors can become very powerful. We have a successful business model and we should implement it. We need to provide them with alternative markets.

Another vital step taken by our government is the formation of ten thousand farmers producers organisation. This will make small farmers emerge as a strong force. Maharashtra has experimented with formation of FPOs, and so has the communist state of Kerala which is working hard to create FPOs in big numbers. Many other states have also followed suit. Due to this, the farmers will emerge as a unified force to create a market of their choice. After the formation of these 10 thousand FPOs, you will see the power of these small farmers in their villages.

Farmers will dictate the market and emerge powerful is my conviction. Through these FPOs, farmer is slated to receive seamless financial aids from banks as well as small warehousing infrastructure support too. If they become bit more powerful, they can also afford their own cold storage facility. Government has allocated one lakh crore worth of fund to empower seven crore sisters associated with Self Help Groups. They are all after all daughters of farmers. In some way or the other they are also associated with farming families. This network is being utilised for the welfare of the farmer’s community. They are emerging as big centres of economic activity.

We were facing challenges in procurement of pulses. We made a request to farmers in 2014. They worked hard and freed us of the problems and even created a market for themselves. These days I am also noticing how the small farmers are directly selling their produce through online-offline platform eNam. We experimented with Kisan rails and Kisan flights during corona phase. It directly opened up big markets for the small farmers and helped them achieve value for money for their produce. These trains were in a way cold storage on wheels. I would like the ministers in this house to note maybe it seems that these Kisan rails simply were a transportation facility but it connected small farmers from even remote villages to big markets of other states. See the impact. A farmer from Nasik got connected with a businessman of Muzaffarnagar. His business was not very big. But, he could send his 30 kgs of pomegranate to a bigger market all at a frugal cost of 124 rupees. Even a courier would have denied transporting a small amount as this. But due to this infrastructure facility a small farmer is now capable of selling his produce in a bigger market directly.

I have seen that someone could send eggs at a minimal cost of 60 rupees. He could send it safely in time and all his product got sold as well. In Devlali, a small farmer could sell Kiwi in Danapur. At a minimal cost of 62 rupees he could get a bigger market in another state for his 60 kgs Kiwi. The Kisan Rail is a small innovation but is facilitating huge transformation. We have seen examples of its success.

Chaudhary Charan Singh had written a book on economics of India. In this book he had written and suggested that to provide food entire nation should be considered as one area. In other words, and I quote from this book that there should be no restrictions on transporting goods across state boundaries. Agricultural reforms, Kisan rail, eNam, getting electronic plates for mandis and wholesale marts are small steps to provide bigger opportunities to our small farmers.

These naysayers have run the nation for past so many decades. I refuse to buy the fact that they were ignorant of the problems of these farmers. They were very much aware, had an understanding too and hence I am reminding them of their own words today. They are not present here I know but in the interest of the nation it is crucial that I must explain.

I am reading a quote-“the state took initiative to amend their state APMC Act in the year 2005 itself providing for direct marketing contract farming setting up of a private market, consumer, farmer markets, e-trading and notified the rules in 2007 to implement the amended provision infact 24 private markets have already come up in the state.” Whose were these words? Who is proudly announcing that we have amended this APMC Act? In all 24 such markets are already functional- who is taking pride in this achievement? These are the proud words of Mr Sharad Pawar, Minister of Agriculture in the government of Dr Manmohan Singh. But today they are conveniently refuting it. Hence, I am doubtful of their intentions towards the farmers whom they are now misleading.

The various mandis are fully operational. When they were questioned on the nexus which influences the price of syndicates which is suspected to be created by mandi owners and middlemen, then Mr Sharad Pawar had a very interesting answer. He himself mentioned that APMC reform is being promoted to protect the farmers and give them an alternative market. He had further said that if more businessmen will register then due to increased competition the nexus in the mandi will automatically get destroyed. Hence it is important that we understand things deeply.

I would like to remind my friends from Congress Party if public sector is necessary for the country, then participation of the private sector in th national development is equally important. The government encouraged mobile manufacturing. Private parties came, manufacturers came. Today smartphone has reached the poorest of poor families. Competition was encouraged in Telecom sector and today our mobile call cost is reduced to nearly zero and data in India is now cheapest in the entire world. Even our pharmacy or vaccine manufatures, are they all government ventures? If, today India is proving useful to humanity, private sector has a huge role in that. Private enterprises have brought us on the world map and our nation needs to trust its youth. We should repose faith in them rather than demoralising them. We cannot afford to demean them or negate the private activities. The days are gone when only government was responsible for national development.

The world has changed. The country is strengthened by its own society. Everyone should have opportunities. It is old ways of vote bank politics to use derogatory language and declare someone nefarious. I had spoken from the ramparts of the Red Fort that nation needs wealth creators. How else we generate wealth to distribute for the needs of the poor. How will employment be generated? Is it that bureaucrats will do everything in this country? An IAS will run fertilizer factory? Once he becomes and IAS he has to run a chemical factory or fly the aeroplane? What kind of power have we created? What are we going to achieve by handing over the reins of the country to only bureaucrats? If they are citizens of this country so are the youth of this nation. The more we open up opportunities for them the more we are bound to gain.

What we are witnessing now is because there is no logic to support their stand. They create a wave of apprehensions and flare up the environment thus producing this breed of andolanjivis.

I honour the sanctity of the farmer’s protest and I am using this word with great responsibility. I consider this farmer protest pure. Andolan (protest) is and shall forever remain important in the Indian democracy. But what is the fate of such protests when few agitators use it for their vested interests? Can someone explain to me that in a protest on Three Farm Laws what is the role of marching with photos of convicts and demanding release of rioters, terrorists, naxals and communal forces who are in jail. Isn’t this an effort to malign the protest?

Toll plazas in this country are a system unanimously accepted by all governments. Vandalising the toll plaza, capturing it and making it non functional, aren’t these attempts to tarnish the ongoing agitation? When several telecom towers were damaged in the land of Punjab was it in consonance with the farmers’ demands?

It is the andolanjivis who are out with the intention to damage the sacred protest not the protestors. High time our country should realise the difference between andolanjivis and andolankari. We must save the country from these traitors. They engage in spreading lies and rumors, mislead the nation and try to take the country under siege. Our nation is big and so are the aspirations of the common citizens and we should remain focused in developing ourselves in this direction.

There is a large class in our country which can be identified by the trait of always talking the right things that is speaking right. There is no harm in speaking right. But this class detests those who believe in the vision of doing the right things. The advocates of “talking the right things” themselves come in the way when it comes to “doing the right things”. We need to be mindful of this difference. They only speak, and rarely believe in doing something meaningful.

Those who talk about electoral reforms, themselves protest against One nation one election. These are the same people who speak loud from platforms about gender justice but protest when we try to end Triple Talak. On the one hand they cry loud for environment, but on the other they are the first to flash flags of protest at the site of hydro power or nuclear power. They fuel protests across the country. Tamil Nadu is a victim of this.

In the same lines, first they file a writ, PILs and appeal on the rising pollution in Delhi, while they are same folks of Delhi who stand in solidarity of the defaulters of Parali burning community. Is is not evident that these are attempts to mislead the countrymen and its time we woke up to this and take cognizance of their malefide intentions.

I have been noticing how the agenda of the opposition has changed in the past six years. We have also been in the opposition. You must have noticed then that we were raising voice on the matters of the nation’s development, and corner the corrupt leaders of the ruling party. We would strengthen our voices and we would make honest efforts. I am shocked that today opposition is least interested in discussing matters of national development. I keep waiting that they will raise their concerns and I will get a chance to share about the good work we are engaged in. But they rarely give us this opportunity. Since there is no such concern now. They have nothing left to say on these crucial matters. Hence they have stopped asking how many roads or bridges have been constructed, nor do they ask anymore for the status of border management or about the railway lines. They are least interested in discussing these issues now.

Government is confidently making constant endeavours to establish an ecosystem of growth and progress in the country. I am deeply indebted to the Hon’ble President for presenting his points clearly on many of these issues. Those with a political agenda, my best wishes to them. But we are marching ahead with a national agenda. And we shall continue to do so. Once again I would like to invite the farmers of this country to a dialogue with an intention to resolve the issue together. With this expectation I once again conclude with a note of gratitude for our Hon’ble President for his speech.

Thank you!

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

LMAO at your personal attacks. Running out of ammo i see. They have zero effect on a hate speech defender like me.

Let me repeat it again.

Rinse & repeat until we find the ring leaders

We will find them.
        Not running out of ammo one bit, you actually stand exposed at the lying and manipulative person that you are supporting an ugly government which targets its own people for dissent and charges 21 year olds for sedition merely for resharing something on social media..

What got my goat was your support for arresting, stripping naked, humiliating and beating 80 year old army veterans merely for protesting against the government.. but then I realize, you are merely an irrelevant, cowardly troll who will quickly go hide or change his tune as soon as the powers in Delhi change.. Then it will be again back to acting as a "moderate" and "liberal" for you. Cowardice must run in the blood though otherwise any person who has serving family members or veteran grandparents who have served in the military would be able to relate and be infuriated.. but knowing the scums supporting the government, ofcourse you can never relate.. This is why there is such a clear cut distinction betweem the fascist government and it's supporters compared to the protestors, journalists and activists being picked up and thrown in jail.. Clash of civilizations mate and unlike the Jihadist extremists, you Sanghis don't even have the balls to back up your ideology unless it is against the powerless.. you will once again all just dilute away in no time..

We're not going to tolerate people making a mockery of our Republic day.
        Loll.. that's all the dirt you got against the protestors? What a clown..
        Cow is the only animal that not only inhales oxygen, but also exhales it.
        -Rekha Arya, Former Minister of Animal Husbandry

Comment

• OK, -everyone-, stop with the personal attacks.
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            No, you did not. I asked you list the institutions captured by the BJP. You have listed none. Just asserted

I'd have been surprised if you had because two India scholars were at a loss to do just that.
            Probably at a loss due to how dumb that question is.. When literally pointing out that the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court literally took a seat in the ruling party's government moments after retiring blatantly shows the huge conflict of interest and biased nature of the court.. all that is brushed off as "just asserted". What do you want? A picture of the BJP flag on top of the Supreme Court? Don't waste my time..

The west changes its tune when they're dealing with terrorists. We got to see this clearly after 9/11. So spare me the sermons.
            What does that have to do with anything? Terrorists? Good.

Unless you are gleefully jumping at an increase of hate crimes in the West post-9/11? That is it, isn't it? While you may jerk off to such images in your head, but that definitely is not the norm or institutionalized in the Western world.. as much as Donald Trump may have mistakenly led you to believe.

The Western world still functions on the core beliefs of freedom, liberty and core human rights.. It doesn't function on the basis of regressive ideologies like Islamism, Hindutva or white supremacy.

Destroy Canada's fabric ? the people pushing this are doing that on their own by causing a scene in Canada and India.

By spoiling the name of Canada in the eyes of Indians by spoiling the name of India in the eyes of the world.

What a bunch of losers !!
            Standing up for human rights and democracy in the world isn't destroying Canada's fabric but making it stronger as it reinforces the trust and belief in Canadian values and system.. Also goes to show how good people have it in Canada.. And no, the name of Canada isn't by any means spoiled in India despite Canada being a target of Indian intelligence.. Indian masses are still wanting to flock to Canada.. and Indians on social media are expressing tons of appreciation to the celebrities and politicians in the West for amplifying their voice at a time the Indian government is trying to muzzle them.

Only people threatened by the voices in the West are the Indian fascists trying to censor all the voices..

Oh! you think the SC was acting on the Legislatives orders. As i said i don't know anything more than what is said in their order. We will find out in time but it definitely ain't what you're thinking.
            Loll.. legislative orders.. because in DE's world, that's how corruption works.. through legislation.. you're just trying to obscure facts through completely senseless statements.

I was concerned about the sanctity of parliament. Are they not fit to pass laws any more ?
            Don't lie.. Had these bills been debated and voted on by a recorded vote, they would never have been passed.. your government rushed these bills through Parliament using a "voice vote", even that of which you can hear much louder "Nays" than "Yays".. and then the government cancelled the following Parliament sessions due to "Covid" so the bills couldn't be challenged either.. most undemocratic you can get.. so the sanctity of parliament has already been fcked and you don't give 2 shits about it..stop pretending otherwise..

You keep going on about conflict of interest. Are you implying the people on the committee stand to financially gain from these laws ?
            Seems like you don't know the ABC of "conflict of interest".. Ofcourse, living in a fascist state supporting a fascist government, don't expect you to know such inconvenient concepts..

Because otherwise who do you want on that committee. People with no experience on the subject at hand.

No agri economist worth his salt will be against these laws.
            LOL. Seems like you answered your own question.. According to you, only people fit to be on an arbitration comittee are ones who are pro-bills and toe the government line.. so what use is such a facade of a committee? Farmers are intelligent that they'd rather talk to the government than this sham.. Only people trying to make a fool out of people are the government and it's Sanghi proponents..

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
              OK, -everyone-, stop with the personal attacks.
              Alrighty, I will stop. Only for the purpose that getting banned won't help me in exposing the propaganda spam going on this section.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tronic View Post

Not running out of ammo one bit, you actually stand exposed at the lying and manipulative person that you are supporting an ugly government which targets its own people for dissent and charges 21 year olds for sedition merely for resharing something on social media..
                No, your objection is more fundamental that that.

This is a good segue into the diaspora. Posted this article before and it bears repeating again. It speaks about the diaspora in the US but i doubt its different in Canada or the UK.

Earlier GOI did not tap the diaspora much, this changed with Modi.

Indians in Trump’s insurrection | DH | Jan 15 2021

However, the purpose of this piece is not to look into the incident at Capitol Hill but to offer a retrospective of the political activities of Indian Americans, based on my personal experience in the US, and how it transformed from the original bipartisan movement into a community deeply divided on religious lines.

The Indian diaspora in the US was politically active during the 1920-30s under the leadership of Taraknath Das, Har Dayal, Mubarak Ali Khan and J J Singh and many others. Their canvassing efforts paved the way for the election of Dalip Singh Saund, the only Indian to be a part of the US Congress (1957-63) till the 1990s. However, it was an epic struggle as all immigration was stopped during the Second World War.

In 1946, the Luce-Cellar Act allowed Indians to be considered as a special category for immigration. This was due to the bipartisan campaigning with Congressmen by J J Singh, president of the ‘India League’. Others who supported this legislation were Albert Einstein, noted writer Pearl S Buck, and former California governor Upton Sinclair.

However, the 1946 law re-introduced the quota system established under a 1924 Act. It was heavily in favour of Northern and Western Europe. Notwithstanding this limitation, the 1946 law benefited 3,000 Indians already living in the US and helped them get naturalised. The McCarran-Walter Act, also called The Immigration & Nationality Act, 1952, continued quota-based immigration. Asian countries were given a meagre quota of 100 visas each per year.

The real benefits occurred under the presidentship of Lyndon Johnson when the 1965 Immigration & Naturalization Act (Hart-Cellar Act) gave preference to reuniting immigrant families and abolished the quota system based on national origin. However, the arrival of a large number of South Asian families led to a peculiar, cloistered style of living, confining their activities around temples or mosques and celebrating South Asian festivals. This was the period of the ABCD (American Born Confused Desi) syndrome. The growing Indian community remained only a fringe group in national politics since they made no attempts to integrate into the American mainstream by taking part in the political process.

It was Dr Joy Cherian, a former Youth Congress activist, and his colleagues like Krishna Srinivasa, Gopal Bashist, Dinesh Patel, Dr Suresh Prabhu, Swadesh Chatterjee and many others belonging to the Republican and Democratic parties who exhorted Indian Americans to join American political activities in the 1980s. They replicated the tactics of the Jewish bipartisan lobby group American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) founded by Tom Dine in 1963 to build constituency pressure on American Congressmen to look after the interests of Israel. In a similar way, the bipartisan Indian American leadership established the Indian American Forum for Political Education (IAFPE) in 1983 to further the interests of India.

Other Indian American activists like Dr Thomas Abraham and Inder Singh widened the ambit of Indian Americans to several countries like Fiji, Guyana, Surinam, etc., which were the destinations of old Indian indentured labour. They did so by establishing a global Indian diaspora platform named Global Organisation of Indian Origin (GOPIO) in 1989. The visibility of the Indian diaspora improved. All of them were secular, bipartisan groups belonging to all religions and communities.

Unfortunately, the first blow to the bipartisan movement of the Indian American Community was given by, of all persons, senior Congress leader the late Siddhartha Shankar Ray, as Indian Ambassador to America. In 1993, he excluded the “Overseas Friends of BJP” from the “1893 Vivekananda Chicago Speech Centenary Celebrations” in America, with the bureaucratic reasoning that it was strictly an official programme of the Indian government. Since then, the BJP segment of Indian Americans, seen taking an active part in all the bipartisan programmes of the Indian American organisations earlier, started staying away.

This schismatic trend was reinforced after Prime Minister Narendra Modi assumed power in 2014. Only pro-BJP or pro-RSS Indian Americans were involved in prime ministerial and high-level visits. Others were not invited. Just prior to the 2016 American elections, a new organisation named “Hindus for Trump” came on the scene. The old bipartisan group was left out.

In the process, the Indian lobbying power in the US has suffered to Pakistan’s advantage because of the exclusion of non-Hindus from the mainstream of Indian American activities.
                Modi's lowest draw was in Toronto. Just 10,000 attended. Tiny Singapore got twice as much attendance. The high mark was in London with nearly 60k.

This is why we are facing all this nuisance. People that should be on our side are opposed. They are being manipulated by external forces against us.

Not the first time this happened but a continuing occurrence in the digital age.

India wins when Indian interests are seen as western interests.

That is how the Israelis operate. They have a vibrant polity and the partisan divides are no less visible.

But when it comes to national interest and the well being of Israel they swallow their differences and work as a coherent whole.

This should be the goal of the Indian diaspora. Our missions abroad can only do so much and some would lay the blame at the door of South Block for not even showing up here.

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
                What got my goat was your support for arresting, stripping naked, humiliating and beating 80 year old army veterans merely for protesting against the government..
                I engendered no less of a reaction when American riot cops shoved a 75 yr old in the US leading to the man being injured in the process and i supported the cops. I called out the liberal media coverage of it.

The PM ha been gracious when he says

But the elderly people who are sitting there is not good. Please send them back.
                What were 80 yr olds doing here. In the cold ?

Because your reaction is exactly what was desired. Same with women & kids in Shaheen Bagh. Because of the fallout that would surely occur if the govt cracked down.

Govt baulked. They allowed squatters to sit on the streets for 3 months because they were afraid of acting against them. Where in the western world is this allowed to happen tell me ?

You want to protest, get a permit, you have a designated area to protest and rules to follow. Break them and you no longer can protest. Nobody questions this in the west.

What we see in Delhi is anything but. Many times these protests are not orderly. They defy the laws frequently.

This is how it happened in my city over a year ago. Moment the cops got wind of a CAA protest in my city they got the govt to slap Sec.144 on the city. No assembly of more than 4 persons. We would not have another Shaheen Bagh.

Any and all protesters that showed up got bundled away into buses, some were dragged away on DAY ONE. That was the end of it.

Very clean op. No disruption of daily lives of commuters in a city that is gridlocked at the best of times.

We have designated parks where people can protest all they want. GO THERE.

BJP govt in my state, what is wrong with the one at the centre ?

change his tune as soon as the powers in Delhi change.. Then it will be again back to acting as a "moderate" and "liberal" for you.
                Exactly, and not just in India but any other country we discuss. I will be following what the govt of the day there has to say. They make policy. Simple as.

This way i'm in sync with whichever govts comes to office in any country.

My preferred candidate might not win, gutted that Trump lost. But that's the way it goes. Have to get with the program.

I will not boycott the board or go off on some hiatus because my preferred party lost or attack those of the winning party on partisan grounds.

How mature would that be. Is this the right activity to be involved in if you are going to get so worked up if your people are not in power.

As i told you before i have demonstrated an ability to work with both sides of the aisle and in more than one country.

What about you ?

This is why there is such a clear cut distinction betweem the fascist government and it's supporters compared to the protestors, journalists and activists being picked up and thrown in jail.. Clash of civilizations mate and unlike the Jihadist extremists, you Sanghis don't even have the balls to back up your ideology unless it is against the powerless.. you will once again all just dilute away in no time..
                That's all you've got given this govt did not move to crush these protests sooner as demonstrated in my city.

Longer this goes on the reporting is about everything but farmers.

But this is up to the infinite wisdom of Amit Shah to decide.

Loll.. that's all the dirt you got against the protestors? What a clown..
                People who broke the laws are getting booked. I'm waiting to see whether we ever catch the ring leaders.

If the farmers disavow the nefarious elements that gate crashed their protest we'd have achieved another win.

Longer Tikait takes to do that, more he discredits himself.
                Last edited by Double Edge; 16 Feb 21,, 19:56.

Comment

• How would India have fared if Shastri had lived ten years longer ?

A tribute to the spearhead of India's Green Revolution | India Today | Nov 27 2012

C. Subramaniam, who passed away on November 8, played a decisive role in transforming Indian agriculture in the mid-1960s and dispelling our begging bowl, basket-case image.

Many contributed to launching the Green Revolution, a term coined by Dr William Gaud of the US Department of Agriculture in October 1968, in India: the Rockefeller and Ford Foundations, many Indian and foreign scientists, a few economists and administrators, two Indian prime ministers and one American president and most of all the Punjab farmer. The crisis atmosphere also helped. But CS, as he was called, was the pivot. It was during CS' tenure in this ministry that India's first move towards economic liberalism took place, inspired by the Report of Steel Control prepared by a committee chaired by K.N. Raj in 1963.

When CS took over, the nation was already in the throes of an agricultural crisis. We were importing 3-4 million tonnes of wheat annually from the US. One-fifth of America's wheat crop was moving to India. In the 1950s, Indian planning was obsessed with heavy industry and agriculture was seen through land reforms, community development, cooperativisation and motivation.

CS gave a new, threefold thrust to Indian agriculture - technological, economic and organisational. He reorganised the Indian Council of Agricultural Research and, for the first time, appointed a scientist, Dr B.P. Pal, as its head.

It was another 40-year-old geneticist at the Indian Agricultural Research Institute, M.S. Swaminathan, who made CS aware that new, high-yielding wheat varieties had been developed by Norman Borlaug's team in Mexico and that India must straightaway launch large-scale field demonstrations.

There was stout resistance to the use of these varieties and the new wheat strategy from the Finance Ministry and the Planning Commission. But the situation was getting desperate. CS got Shastri's approval to import 250 tonnes of wheat seeds in 1965. A staggering 18,000 tonnes were imported in 1966. It was the latter that triggered the Green Revolution in wheat. Indian scientists improved upon these varieties.

To provide incentives for the new technology, in August 1964 CS got L.K. Jha, then Shastri's secretary, to chair what came to be known as the Foodgrain Prices Committee. Based on its recommendations, the Agricultural Prices Commission (APC) and the Food Corporation of India (FCI) came into being in January 1965.

The monsoon failed miserably in 1965 (and in 1966 as well). In November 1965, CS met with Orville Freeman, the US agriculture secretary, in Rome. The two signed the so-called Treaty of Rome. This accord put down on paper what CS had already launched with the support of Shastri.

It committed India to end imports of foodgrains by 1971 with more investments in agriculture, irrigation, research, seeds, fertilisers and with appropriate economic and marketing policies. In return, the Americans agreed to send more wheat to India - 14 million tonnes in 1965 and 1966.

Comment

When literally pointing out that the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court literally took a seat in the ruling party's government moments after retiring blatantly shows the huge conflict of interest and biased nature of the court.. all that is brushed off as "just asserted". What do you want? A picture of the BJP flag on top of the Supreme Court?
                    He became a Rajya Sabha MP. Not the first to do so. Yes, just aserted since you claimed all institutions. You got squat.

Loll.. legislative orders.. because in DE's world, that's how corruption works.. through legislation.. you're just trying to obscure facts through completely senseless statements.
                    You were insinuating the SC colluded with the legislature. Did you even read the order of the SC ? govts lawyer wasn't impressed. That's all i need to know what you're saying here is BS!

Don't lie.. Had these bills been debated and voted on by a recorded vote, they would never have been passed.. your government rushed these bills through Parliament using a "voice vote", even that of which you can hear much louder "Nays" than "Yays".. and then the government cancelled the following Parliament sessions due to "Covid" so the bills couldn't be challenged either.. most undemocratic you can get.. so the sanctity of parliament has already been fcked and you don't give 2 shits about it..stop pretending otherwise..
                    They were debates in both houses for those bills. Check the LSTV & RSTV channels. I'v already pointed out there is nothing wrong with a voice vote.

The justification for these bills was posted in the PRS link earlier, they were a long time coming.

The opposition just wanted to stop these bills getting through. They failed. Deal with it.

LOL. Seems like you answered your own question.. According to you, only people fit to be on an arbitration comittee are ones who are pro-bills and toe the government line.. so what use is such a facade of a committee? Farmers are intelligent that they'd rather talk to the government than this sham.. Only people trying to make a fool out of people are the government and it's Sanghi proponents..
                    The people you want do not exist. Conflict of interest my ass. Nobody has been able to challenge this bills to date. Just spurious arguments.

March is when we get to hear more about this. That is when the two months will be up and Tikait has to decide how he wants to play this.
                    Last edited by Double Edge; 17 Feb 21,, 02:04.

Comment

The funniest thing I noticed watching the videos post Jan 29th Ghazipur is that what seemed to have ticked off the Jats when they headed to Delhi to support Rakesh Tikait was that the "cornerstore Chintu Mintu's" seem to think they could push around the farmers just because now the Chintu Mintus finally gained some power in Delhi.. These aren't just the Sikh protestors who consider BJP trash, but the Jats also don't seem to respect these fat fcks much.. So "treated accordingly" is a two way street.. The Chintu Mintu's may have access to state resources or machinery but they are still Chintu Mintus at the end of the day.. The farmers and soldiers still going to be coming out on top of this one.. "Treated accordingly" or not...

And yea.. I get it, you can push around, abuse and harass their grandfathers but like I said earlier, this ain't Shaheen Bagh.. Every farmer touched, tortured and beat is solidifying this protest even deeper..
                      Laws are passed in parliament. The street does not make laws. As Vijay Sardana said decide whether India needs democracy or not. Because what these people are doing is not it.

Just another third rate trash link being provided after brushing off CNN, NYT, Washington Post, BBC, Guardian, NDTV as "leftist" or "biased"... but these trash blogs and trash youtube links you provide are "neutral".. What a clown..
                      I thought his article that i posted was quite informative.

LOL.. So basically even if I take it that they are indeed "paid", which is such bullshit (Juju Smith is actually the one paying charities to assist the protestors), but let's suppose it's true.. that just means that not only are the protesting farmers able to build sustainable open kitchens to feed all for free, libraries, schools and other infrastructure at their protesting sites but are now also able to carry out marketing and external PR the world over better than the Sanghis in power.. Shouldn't that itself be a big slap in the face of your Sanghi government that despite massive state resources in their power, they are being slapped around and humiliated in front of the whole world?? No matter what way you play it, your trash government is loosing both ways..
                      It proves the first premise that these protesters are not poor. yeah, this is what i've been saying all along.

I think our PM knows that Indian fascists are weak and their days are numbers so I don't think he cares much about ticking off fascist trash in India..
                      Really ? how confident is Trudeau about getting a second term.

Modi has an approval rating in the 80s for the handling of the pandemic.

He has the highest rating and consistent of any of the 13 leaders surveyed there.

Odds of him getting a third term are better than even.

Modi is not going any where. Has a comfortable majority and cannot be toppled.

As for India being "big" and Canada being "small".. Let's leave those comparisons till 30-40 years from now.. We're a country of barely 40 million and a look at our economic output should embarrass you.
                      Trudeau's eating crow. He had to beg India for vaccines. We said yeah, get in line. He sings a different tune these days.

We had a good laugh over that. Unbelievable. I can only imagine how he runs things in Canada. The Canadian opposition amuses me, they come across like they're in real pain. Who can blame them.

Time to take India seriously.

Why are you complaining about the UK to me? I don't know much to comment but knowing your history I doubt you have much substance there as well...
                      Referring to ofcom. Makes GOI's case stronger that you have these sikh groups advocating violence not just against India but also a commentator in NZ.

Who are the real facists here eh?

Yea.. I could tell.

Could just as easily have been one of these:

Pro-Indian 'fake websites targeted decision makers in Europe' - BBC News

loll..
                      It was legit and the part i bolded in red is in your ofcom website.

I like how you try to brush it off but that is another country that took action.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 17 Feb 21,, 02:38.

Comment

Facts are Indian government got twitter to ban multiple accounts of journalists as well as the official accounts of farmer's unions which Twitter did infact ban.. Twitter re-activated the accounts within a couple of hours after huge uproar and backlash from it's users.. The Indian government then threatened to jail it's executives in India if the order wasn't followed (India’s Modi Government Threatens Twitter Employees With Jail (buzzfeednews.com).. One of Twitter's executives in India even capitulated under pressure and resigned from her post. Twitter then went ahead and blocked over 500 accounts but refused to block accounts of journalists, activists and politicians on account of "freedom of speech".
                        Twitter defies order in India to block activists, journalists and politicians | Engadget

Now, Modi using his lackey to summon twitter and we already know how this will play out: India top court notice to gov’t, Twitter on social media content | Censorship News | Al Jazeera
                        And what is the problem here ? when the govt issues an order under 69A the other side has to comply. They do not have a choice. That 7yr prison thing is for failure to comply. In the law.

You don't seem to understand why the govt issued that order. So let me clue you in with this clip. RSTV. Use it.

Jiten Jain steals the show here.

Hashtag suggesting PM is planning a farmers genocide (!)

Obvious malign foreign intel service at play here. Create religious divides in India and incite violence.

This hashtag was being trended by foreign accounts.

Accounts pushing this hashtag is what the govt wanted removed. The 200 odd ones which twitter dragged its feet over for two days, they suspended and re-instated them. We don't give a hoot what backlash twitter faces when lives and property in India are at risk.

Twitter says why take down the account when there are only three tweets that break the law. Delete the three instead.

69A is pre-emptive in nature. If govt thinks such tweets can disrupt public order they are authorised to take action. GOI has plenty of experience with this. People (even govt workers) have been lynched over rumours on whatsapp.

Then we get this lecture on democracy, free speech, constitutional rights, their definition of public order & govt powers in India.

They will not comply with the lawful order of the govt.

Can big tech companies refuse to carry out the orders of a sovereign territory, can they act beyond the govt ?

During the Delhi violence last year, 20k Pak accounts were peddling fake news, fake videos of murders in Delhi to incite violence.

During the anti CAA protests, thousands of Pak & Khalistani accounts active.

It's a part of a larger influence operation to paint a negative image of India. Create religious trouble in India.

Maybe influence elections in the future even.

#IndianMuslimsInDanger had 80% content coming from Pakistan.

If they could suspend the account of a sitting US President on the basis of inciting violence why are we getting the lecture ?

Didn't they ban the hashtag #HangMikePence ?

So why the trouble with accounts trending #ModiPlanningFarmerGenocide ?

You can't have two standards of speech here !!

Twitters grievance officer for India is in Ireland. This person is giving lectures to GOI about public order and constitutional rights of citizens of India.

These companies need to have a proper office in India. A board of directors in India. And who the responsible person is when orders are given.

I do want to point out something else. We've been here before. Remember Blackberry ?

After a lengthy battle, BlackBerry will finally let the Indian government monitor its servers | Next Web | Jul 10 2013

Govt demands access to Blackberry's servers so they can view messages back in 2008. Terror related in the wake of 26/11.

They only got it in 2013 by which time Blackberry was a non player.

So in summary GOI has been going soft on these companies going by the record over a decade.

Whether that changes with Modi remains to be seen.

As i said earlier people i follow think the govt is too gutless to take any action on twitter.

They are drafting new rules for social media. Surprise, surprise since they lost the last round with twitter.

Twitter is neither a state nor a sovereign govt nor is twitter in a position to adjudicate the merit or correctness or accuracy of a govt order.

The moment twitter does this they are no longer an intermediary and are actually exercising editorial functions which means they twitter will be stripped of it statutory exemption from legal liability under section 79 of the IT act.

To date the govt has never criminally prosecuted any service provider from 2008 to 2021. India has had a soft glove approach towards these service providers and intermediaries to big data repositories.
                        Last edited by Double Edge; 17 Feb 21,, 13:25.

Comment

Oh bugger off you clown!

I have literally posted Greta's "toolkit" here on this forum and topic itself.. It's merely a guide on how to carry out a protest. Like every other toolkit there is, whether that be one for the pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong or any organized protest anywhere..
                          The redacted one you mean ?

Jan 26 was not a protest. The govt thinks there is more involved here.

Cops claim man mentioned in toolkit associated with ISI | HT | Feb 16 2021

Just because a Khalistani dude also shared the protest doesn't make every person who shared a bloody google doc document a Khalistani... because if that is the case then by that measure, you're pretty much a pedophile, terrorist scumbag.. since the pedophile Kapil Mishra is your hero
                          Any one associated with a Khalistani is radio active. This sends a good message to any activists to ensure they are not mixed in with that lot.

Otherwise they are free to continue with their activism.

Do not abuse the liberties of a free country like India to co-opt its citizens in your nefarious schemes.

Course then we get these HR twats who say we do not have a right to defend ourselves. We do have the right to self defense.

You have confused what Kapil Mishra is saying. He is saying Greta along with these other influencers perform services for money

Pragya Thakur, a piece of shit who is on trial for terrorism, is part of the government whose boots you lick, along with this douchebag:
                          Your info is a bit old. This hindu terror bogey has long been debunked. Look up RVS Mani. Such was the hold of the radical jihadis on the previous govt that they concocted this nonsense of hindu terror to protect the real terrorists.

Pragya beat those charges. The BJP gave her a ticket to stand against the person who brought those charges. Digvijay Singh.

She won. Poetic justice delivered in the people's court.

He's calling for the murder of the 21 year old climate activist Disha Ravi who was arrested in that "Greta toolkit" case... Just another piece of shit..
                          So that is incitement then yes ?

What's interesting about this tweet is the complaint to remove it was filed in Germany.

Twitter removes the tweet and later restores it saying it does not violate their terms.

Tweet's still up.

See the problem now.

It's also interesting that this statement comes from a minister of Haryana.

I'd have thought he'd be more sympathetic to some one that is ostensibly supporting farmers.
                          Last edited by Double Edge; 18 Feb 21,, 13:08.

Comment

LOL... Investigative DE has finally shown up to question Bloomberg and WSJ's reporting!

I'll do you one better.. See, I can take the trouble to go hunting for the actual source but since it was you who brought it up first by claiming US has supported India's farm laws, I'll let you handle this one.. Since the sources we are both quoting are referring to the same statement, I'll let you take the lead to go and dig it up...

This was quite comical though.. Wish you'd show the same amount of due diligence when you come to me with Godi media sources.
                            Show me where i "brought it up first" ? link the post

If you can't show me WHICH American official made this statement, WHEN & WHERE it was made then this is FAKE NEWS.

There is no WSJ article only your bloomberg source. I've seen other articles in the Indian press about it but they all refer to the state department on Wed Feb 3 and i've shown no such statement was ever made on that day.

That is the US has NOT made a statement on this subject when you claim it has !!

However the question has come up later.

So what was asked and the reply

Feb 9

QUESTION: Several leaders of the Democratic Party, including Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal, Vice President Harris in her previous role as a senator, have spoken and raised concerns about India’s human rights situation, including the farmers’ protest, and previously Kashmir CAA, and other issues. We saw it mentioned it Biden campaign, some of the policy documents. When Secretary Blinken spoke to his Indian counterpart, this issue was raised by him?

MR PRICE: Well, what I can say – and this applies not only to India but to every partner of ours across the board – we are committed to supporting democratic values, including a free and open civil society and the strong rule of law.

We regularly engage with the Government of India – including, as you referenced and I alluded to, today – on our shared commitment to democratic values. We believe it’s the bedrock for the U.S.-India relationship.

And it’s actually in keeping, as you know, with India’s own democratic values, its pluralistic values, and its history of tolerance. So we regularly engage with our Indian counterparts on —
                            This question was asked by Indian PTI's Chief US correspondent

So the reply does not specifically mention India or even farmer protests at all and never has.

Feb 10

QUESTION: So on India – Pranshu from the Times here, by the way. Sorry. On India, Twitter has permanently blocked over 500 accounts and moved an unspecified number out of view after the government has accused them of inflammatory remarks against the prime minister. And India’s IT minister reportedly just said freedom of expression is not absolute. So could you comment on this view being taken by the Indian government which has been billed as a partner in democracy by State and the U.S.?

MR PRICE: Well, I think what I would say generally is that around the world – and this goes back to what I was saying before – we are committed to supporting democratic values, including freedom of expression. I think when it comes to Twitter’s policies, we’d have to refer you to Twitter itself.
                            Just see the leading question which is tantamount to saying how can India be considered a partner in democracy !!!

Note how they have to prod the administration into a response with questions like this since no press release ever came from either state or the WH about India in this regard.

State in its reply does not call out India by name here but gives a generic response. And then fobs the guy off by telling him to go ask twitter about their policy. Well handled

I wondered who the bugger who asked this question was and he's from the NYT so no surprise from this leftie rag.

Touched that State sent condolences over the glacier burst in Himachal
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 19 Feb 21,, 16:51.

Comment

• Originally posted by 667medic View Post

My bad meant Meena.
                              You are correct, from an American context, she is a non-entity even if she is the niece of VP Harris. But is this how the emotional mob will see it in India, which is used to dynastic politics....
                              Apparently WH lawyers disagree so Meena's been pulled up and told to get off her aunt's coat tails

Meena without "Harris" is a nobody.

White House lawyers to Meena Harris: Don't use aunt's name to build personal brand | TOI | Feb 15 2021

She's still tweeting away about India but her shock value is over now.

Indian media will not be covering her much from this point on which is the only media that counts for her.

If she wanted to be known in India then Meena succeeded so her brand image has increased.

What she is doing is gaining off the right.

Disha Ravi is becoming a feminist rallying cry.
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 19 Feb 21,, 19:35.

Comment

• Looks like the rail 'roko' protests were uneventful. The bulk of it in Punjab, some in Haryana.

https://indianexpress.com/article/in...dates-7193560/

Becomes perfunctory as you look elsewhere in the country.

A few in Cal.

Elsewhere its mainly opposition party workers jumping into the fray.

In Pune, Congress & AAP party workers jumped in. Why ? no farmers in Maha want to join, hehe.

In UP it was the SP party workers who staged a protest outside the state assembly

Few farmers in my city at one of the train stations here.

I sense the steam running out of this movement.

All the centre has to do is wait it out.

The questions are
                                - why aren't farmers from other states joining in. I mean more than these token symbolic shows of solidarity
                                - why does the centre have to pass a law like this in the first place ?

Agriculture is a state subject but trade is on the concurrent list. Many states have already passed laws to liberalise agriculture. So the effect of the centre's laws will have minimal benefit for them ?

eg. Nothing prevents farmers in my state from selling to whomever they want.

ITC, a big private player along with Reliance already buys from farmers in states where its allowed.

The centre has to pass this law because there are recalcitrant states who did not follow the model laws proposed back in 2017.
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 19 Feb 21,, 18:14.

Comment

Working...
                                X