This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Crowes & Jimmy Page

Cream's reunion really didn't work for me. Seemed contrived and tired. The Zeppelin reunion didn't work either. Spirited and Jason Bonham was VERY faithful (little surprise) to his father and the skill to hold up. Still, Plant's tubes are shot and it shows. Buffalo Springfield? Forget it. Great idea ten years too late.

THIS collaboration (along with Clapton/Winwood), however, is fully worthy of the past. Steve Gorman is a monster drummer and the Crowes guitars allow these tracks to be played as they were recorded in the studio including, of course, Page's many overdubs. Finally Chris Robinson gets it as a front man. Maybe the best not named Eddie Vedder since 1990.

Ten Year Gone-

"This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Fleetwood Mac

Green Manalishi-

If rock music has an equivalent to Mussorgsky's Night On Bald Mountain this might be it. Supposedly the song chronicles two very bad acid trips experienced in Munich simultaneously by Danny Kirwin and Peter Green at a party with some rather avant garde bizarro Bavarians. Story is that neither Kirwin nor Green were ever the same from the experience. Kirwin certainly went on to some musical brilliance but Green's star faded rather quickly into three decade hell of mental illness. Kirwin's story would be worse, perhaps, as Green has made something of a recovery over the last decade. Kirwin was positively gifted as both a songwriter and guitarist, apparent on Bare Trees, Kiln House and Future Games but was increasingly remote and estranged from the other members of Mac while increasingly slipping into incurable alcoholism. A recluse and out on the streets it's been a terribly sad ending to one of my favorite musicians.

Oh Well-

Station Man-

"The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• T.P. & The Heartbreakers

Licks, harmonies and riffs courtesy of Neil Young and CSN&Y. Awesome song because/despite the obvious influences. Any guy who's an unabashed mimic of The Byrds hasn't anything to explain to me, though.

Comment

• I hear echos of Lennon (vocal) and McCartney (bass)

sigpic

Comment

• Well...that was interesting. Couldn't stand it at first. Easily saw the Lennon reference. Not so easy spotting McCartneyish bass. Was there a Hofner bass sighting in this video? Thought I saw one. Anyway, hung around and pretty soon this damned thing has penetrated the epidermis and is heading straight towards the brain. I'm hooked. Groovy hippie psychedelic visual effects buy these guys a few more minutes and, VOILA!

I've listened to the whole thingy.

That wasn't so bad.

EDIT: Just watched a live show. This is one weird band. Impossible to get comfortable with them. That's good. I'm trying to find reasons to bail...but I can't. Don't know if I like them but I'm reassured to see guys refusing to march lock-step with convention and manage to hold my attention.
            Last edited by S2; 30 Jun 13,, 15:10.

Comment

• Originally posted by S2 View Post
              I'm trying to find reasons to bail...but I can't.
              I have a special affection (or is it an affliction?) for music that - provided the chance - communicates well with pleasure neurons.

sigpic

Comment

• "I have a special affection (or is it an affliction?) for music that - provided the chance - communicates well with pleasure neurons."

Well...I'm all about providing chances.

Good things happen when we create opportunity.

Comment

• Okay there was obviously something in the water last night!
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• sigpic

Comment

• Strangely, Del Shannon always remained more popular in Britain and Australia than in his native United States. This is another composition written by Del. He was supposed to record it at a studio in NYC but his session time ran out before he could do so. In 1964 Del was doing the Australian concert circuit with the Searchers and Peter and Gordon. He played this song for the Searchers backstage and asked if they would be interested in recording it. They politely declined. However, Peter and Gordon had heard him playing the song and said they would be willing to record it. They did so and it was released in 1965. 'I Go To Pieces' became a huge international hit for Peter & Gordon.

Later in life, Del would suffer from acute depression and he committed suicide in 1990. Del Shannon was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1999.

sigpic

Comment

• sigpic

Comment

• Tell me why--Declan Galbraith

Comment

• Very difficult song/sound to duplicate faithfully. After mucho trial and error, I decided the best solution is to use an acoustic-electric.

sigpic

Comment

• this thread needs some metal

i´ve been listening to this dude daily for the past 2 months. his stuff is über-awesome, but his lives are bit letdown since he, well suffers from bi-polarity syndrom and his constant ´i´m such a piece of siht´ is bit tiring .... but man can he rock more than ten above-average metalbands together. voice, mad skillz and wall-of-sound production....
                              If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

• Who says Canooks have only lousy musicians

Welcome back, mate.
                                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Working...
                                X