This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edgar Winter's White Trash

Made more money doin' that glitter thingy but this was the Edgar Winter I've always loved. Kick ass band with a fat horn section and Rick Derringer on guitar doing that low-down Texas juke-joint jump. Chuck Berry's Back In The U.S.A. from the excellent Roadwork live album-

"This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Creedence

Born On The Bayou-

I sit before my computer in reverent awe of possibly the greatest voice in rock n' roll. CCR was a very, very good band but J. Fogerty is a rock n' roll God. Proof? Another fave-

Hey Tonight-

and that INCREDIBLE tone he gets in that intro.:wors:

Awesome talent.
      "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Hot Tuna/Airplane

Mann's Fate- also appearing on Hot Tuna's initial acoustic live album. Performed in a T.V. studio here probably around the same time 1970-71. Great, great example of the work done by my favorite bassist, Jack Casady-

Jorma's not bad either.

This thing just smokes, and smokes, and smokes. The Other Side Of This Life, written by good ol' Fred Neil. Casady's intro sets the tone for this amazing collage of sound. From start to finish he just thunders. Everything else about this stellar track is right on too. Kaukonen is wailing. Balin howling and Grace soaring over the top. Spencer Dryden playing to the melody and not simply keeping time. Flows and surges yet holds coherance right on the edge of chaos. Really, the Airplane live at their best-

Volume helps. Be not afraid. Sally forth now. Did I say how I love that track?

A fairly obscure track by the Airplane but Turn My Life Down, written by Kaukonen, has always resonated. I like Marty Balin's lead and the always fascinating vocal counterpointing between Kantner, Balin and Slick. Steve Stills helping out on organ. Hot finish by Kaukonen-

Last edited by S2; 04 Jun 13,, 06:38.

Comment

• sigpic

Comment

• For this perfect day on my side:

No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• sigpic

Comment

• Minskaya & Doktor Reply

Wow...forgotten how good Steve Howe was as a slide player. That was some whacky stuff he was doin'. The Lovin' Spoonful thing was nice. Hadn't heard it. They never really scratched my radar as a kid. Sorta a cult favorite for wimps back then.

Now...Dok, that Lily Allen thingy was some sick sardonic shit. Truly laughed my azz off and seemed to nicely reflect your particularly unique and highly-developed sense of humor.

Bravo. Well done, sir.;)

Comment

• Originally posted by S2 View Post
                  Now...Dok, that Lily Allen thingy was some sick sardonic shit. Truly laughed my azz off and seemed to nicely reflect your particularly unique and highly-developed sense of humor.

Bravo. Well done, sir.;)
                  Thank you kind Sir.

It was one of those days... that I should just continue with the sleeping thing.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• sigpic

Comment

• Dang Minnie,

Don't drag me back to the 90's, gonna start spamming from Deee-Lite to Pearl Jam with everything in between (including Kula Shaker)

Like the Cranberries choice you made, much better then the overrated Zombie. Salvation was good as well.

Last edited by Doktor; 07 Jun 13,, 08:58.

Comment

• sigpic

Comment

• No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

Comment

• sigpic

Comment

• The Flying Burrito Bros.

I love Gram Parsons interpretation of this old Bee Gees classic, To Love Somebody-

Another great cover, Do Right Woman-

Chris Hillman's harmony puts this right over the top for me.:Dancing-Banana: Love it. Interesting that both this and Dark End Of The Street were covered by Parsons although soul hits written by Dan Penn. Penn would also co-write "Cry Like A Baby" while also producing The Letter for The BoxTops. The soul versions of this track put this in very, very stark but wonderful contrast.

Comment

• This one is for Jay.

sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Working...
                                X