Snowden: I was a trained spy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowden: I was a trained spy

John le Carré must have rolled his eyes at this one. See the Snowden interview on NBC News tonight.

WASHINGTON — Edward J. Snowden says he was not merely a “low-level analyst” writing computer code for American spies, as President Obama and other administration officials have portrayed him. Instead, he says, he was a trained spy who worked under assumed names overseas for the Central Intelligence Agency and the National Security Agency.

Mr. Snowden’s claims were made in a television interview to be broadcast Wednesday evening by NBC News. They added a new twist to the yearlong public relations battle between the administration and Mr. Snowden, who is living under asylum in Moscow to escape prosecution for leaking thousands of classified files detailing extensive American surveillance programs at home and abroad.

“I was trained as a spy in sort of the traditional sense of the word in that I lived and worked undercover overseas — pretending to work in a job that I’m not — and even being assigned a name that was not mine,” Mr. Snowden told Brian Williams of NBC News, in an excerpt released in advance of the full interview.

The N.S.A., which has described Mr. Snowden as an information technology contractor, has not commented on the new claims.

rest of article and video here: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/29/us...t.html?hp&_r=0
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

I'm honestly surprised Snowden hasn't been planted in the ground yet. I wonder if he would be more harmful to American interests in the long run if he had an "accident" or if he keeps spilling a few more beans every few months to keep in the spotlight?

Comment

I don't know if you listened to the interview last night, but Snowden said he no longer has the documents. He gave them all to the journalists with instructions of what types to use and not use.

It was an interesting interview, and there was a follow-up roundtable on line, which you can see at NBC.com.

Comment

This fact was established awhile ago, just in different phrasing:
        Edward Snowden: the whistleblower behind the NSA surveillance revelations | World news | The Guardian

He was not, nor does he purport (as far as I can tell) that he was some sort of operations officer managing and recruiting assets. He was probably given the basics of maintaining a cover etc.

Comment

Trained by who? The PRC or the RFN?
          "We are all special cases." - Camus

Comment

there's some fundamental differences between an analyst and someone engaged in "the craft"

if he's a "spy" them I'm putins long lost red headed step sister
            Linkeden:
            http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
            http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post
              there's some fundamental differences between an analyst and someone engaged in "the craft"
              Former CIA agent Robert Baer...

'Nonsense' that Snowden was trained spy

Former KGB Major General Oleg Kalugin...

Snowden is cooperating with Russian intelligence
              sigpic

Comment

on top of being a traitor, someone could also add "delusions of grandeur" to his profile
                Linkeden:
                http://au.linkedin.com/pub/gary-fairlie/1/28a/2a2
                http://cofda.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by gf0012-aust View Post

if he's a "spy" them I'm putins long lost red headed step sister

My reaction, as well. Apparently being characterized as a temp hire offends him. Changes nothing.

Comment

You lot are really living in your patriotic cocoon aren't you. I'm for anyone engaging in anti governmental bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by rogerwilko View Post
                      You lot are really living in your patriotic cocoon aren't you. I'm for anyone engaging in anti governmental bullshit.
                      Nice, trolling on a Snowden thread...Solid hard-kill.

Comment

Trolling?? Go back to sleep.The word TROLLING is a little overused these days don't you think ? It was an OPINION. Arrogant fool.

Comment

And...done.

Comment

Trolling?? Go back to sleep.The word TROLLING is a little overused these days don't you think ? It was an OPINION. Arrogant fool.
                            Yeah, he's the arrogant one
                            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Snowden is the patriot, don't you know. And you got it right...it's anti-government bullshit.

Comment

Working...
                              X