X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by andrew View Post
    Then it's their problem
    You've lost that fight more than once ... and that's when you were still a superpower.

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
      You've lost that fight more than once ... and that's when you were still a superpower.
      Superpower or not, people forget lessons from the past. To be clear, same goes for US led alliances.
      No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• No, I'm actually speaking of the USSR.

Comment

No, I'm actually speaking of the USSR.
          So am I. Just added that the remaining superpower forgot those lessons, too.

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

They won more than they lost....

Comment

• I'm not aware the US has lost territory wheras the USSR lost the Baltic States, the Ukraines, and Georgia.

Comment

• So, the idea of resurrection of USSR seems to be the solution for all problems, huh? It figures, since one super power cannot exist without another (otherwise it implodes under its own weight), its a binary system and they feed on each other. God this is so sickening, reminds me of my marriage. Yuck!
                Last edited by Versus; 23 Mar 14,, 22:14.

Comment

I'm not aware the US has lost territory wheras the USSR lost the Baltic States, the Ukraines, and Georgia.
                  USSR dissolved.

Comment

I'm not aware the US has lost territory wheras the USSR lost the Baltic States, the Ukraines, and Georgia.
                    Look at the size of pre-industrial Imperial Russia say 1800ish before it really took off and peaked under the Soviet Union. Compare that map to modern Russia and you'll see how eve rmuch they lost, they are still much bigger than they stated stretching from the Pacific to Central Europe. There are still people who grew up as Germans or Finns who are now Russians.

Comment

• Z,

On some of those maps Crimea is in Russia and so is Finland. You have to be more precise ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post

Russia may have regained its pride and damaged itself in Western eyes. But a new cold war? Not likely.
                        If I were examining this purely from a western perspective I'd have to agree. But looking at Putin from that perspective, his actions make little sense, other from the much touted 'morale raiser' for the Russian people, which isn't much of a perspective. If you view it as a means of isolating his people, including the nouveau riche, and bringing them more firmly under his control, consolidating himself as the new tsar and imposing yet more control in the name of 'fighting off' the evil westerners, then his actions make much more sense.
                        The west doesn't want a Cold War, we want to trade. Putin wants a Cold War, because it consolidates his power.
                        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                          Z,

On some of those maps Crimea is in Russia and so is Finland. You have to be more precise ;)
                          That's the spirit, old maps and the answer for the future is always in the past....Wait until Mongols hear about this, I am sure that they are planning the return as we speak.

Comment

• Originally posted by Versus View Post
                            That's the spirit, old maps and the answer for the future is always in the past....Wait until Mongols hear about this, I am sure that they are planning the return as we speak.
                            Mate, we know how dangerous old maps are. There is always some older map out there.

Comment

USSR dissolved.
                              The Baltic States didn't leave quietly. And Georgia fought a mini civil war.

Comment

Mate, we know how dangerous old maps are. There is always some older map out there.
                                I like one with the buried treasure. I know that very well, just, I thought that that was our specialty but now I am afraid that the spirits of Milosevic,Tudjman and Izetbegovic have possesed hearts and minds of bigger leaders.
                                Last edited by Versus; 23 Mar 14,, 22:40.

Comment

Working...
                                X