This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goatboy View Post
    The fact that Russia took anything at all, that it used its military might to forcibly rip away and annex a Belgium sized piece of a neighbor's sovereign territory, shows enough of Putin's "caliber" to justify an expansion of NATO to every nation on Russia's doorstep. Great Powers anywhere, but especially in Europe, are not supposed to behave this way, especially in Europe in the 21st century for Christ sakes. My GOD what a violation, what a precedent. And I don't care what the percentage is of ethnic Russians in Crimea that worship Putin. Russia can't do what it did, nor should the West ever deal with Russia as a responsible partner again.

Czechoslovakia circa 1938 is far too distant a time to draw too many comparisons about what's appropriate or not.
    Well, you skipped a lot of shit between 1938 and 2014, especially that shithole called Kosovo.

Comment

• Originally posted by cdude View Post
      Well, you skipped a lot of shit between 1938 and 2014, especially that shithole called Kosovo.
      I didn't skip anything, I was responding to the previous statement made about Czechoslovakia. And I said before, there's no meaningful equivalency between Kosovo and Crimea -- and I say this not being completely comfortable with aspects of the West's involvement in Kosovo.

Comment

there's no meaningful equivalency between Kosovo and Crimea
        That's, like, your opinion.

But nobody was killed for Crimea, so I give you that.

Comment

• Originally posted by cdude View Post
          That's, like, your opinion.

But nobody was killed for Crimea, so I give you that.

The Big Lebowski? lol...
          Last edited by Goatboy; 24 Mar 14,, 21:56.

Comment

I didn't skip anything, I was responding to the previous statement made about Czechoslovakia. And I said before, there's no meaningful equivalency between Kosovo and Crimea -- and I say this not being completely comfortable with aspects of the West's involvement in Kosovo.
            So, Russia doesn't have to recognize it? Good for the Ruskies.

BTW, There is progress between Chechnya, Georgia and Crimea, just look at before and after pictures. Russian master the art, wanna bet the next thing will be spontaneous "Otpor-like" revolution?
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Stay away from Dude references unless qualified.

You've been warned.

There are little lebowski urban achievers everywhere...

...and they're watching.

Always watching.
              Last edited by S2; 25 Mar 14,, 05:02.
              "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
              "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Originally posted by S2 View Post
                Stay away from Dude references unless qualified.

You've been warned.

...and they're watching.

Always watching.
                I concur.

Comment

• Originally posted by S2 View Post
                  Stay away from Dude references unless qualified.

You've been warned.

...and they're watching.

Always watching.
                  The Dude is abiding people. Best you pay attention!
                  sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                    The Dude is abiding people. Best you pay attention!
                    :insane:
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Our Russian nationalist posters and propagandists will be delighted to know that Oleksandr Muzychko, aka Sashko Bily, died yesterday in Rivne after a gunfight with Police. Presumably this is further evidence of the 'Nazism' of the interim Government. The truth is that he was nothing more than a criminal thug who shot at police trying to arrest him. Of course when a country is invaded in contradiction to previous treaties it encourages ultra nationalist reaction; Russian nationalist aggression directly aggravates Ukrainian nationalism but this of course is ignored.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                        Our Russian nationalist posters and propagandists will be delighted to know that Oleksandr Muzychko, aka Sashko Bily, died yesterday in Rivne after a gunfight with Police. Presumably this is further evidence of the 'Nazism' of the interim Government. The truth is that he was nothing more than a criminal thug who shot at police trying to arrest him. Of course when a country is invaded in contradiction to previous treaties it encourages ultra nationalist reaction; Russian nationalist aggression directly aggravates Ukrainian nationalism but this of course is ignored.
                        invasion presumes there were no troops there before
                        the basing agreement allowed dislocation of troops and movement to protect bases from external threats.

Nationalist huh. Kravchuk(1st Ukr Pres) convinced Crimea not to have a referendum he said so on Savik Shuster Live proudly, in '90-'92 they were supposed to have one on exit, by '95 all those rights were stripped away and they changed constitution to not allow local referendums to take place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7coObEt-kY4
                        starts 8 minute mark... (yes they made it an autonomy with pres/econ devolution but they stripped those rights in 3 years)
                        Originally from Sochi, Russia.

Comment

• Originally posted by cyppok View Post
                          invasion presumes there were no troops there before
                          the basing agreement allowed dislocation of troops and movement to protect bases from external threats.
                          Some strange law books you read, not sure why an invasion can only happen if there are no troops there. The terms of the lease were violated; a piece of territory that Russia previously recognised as Ukrainian (until this month) it unilaterally occupied and now says is part of Russia without using the law of Ukraine or it's Governments consent... and you're surprised when this creates a nationalist reaction in Ukraine and the rest of the world doesn't recognise this aggression?

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                            Some strange law books you read, not sure why an invasion can only happen if there are no troops there. The terms of the lease were violated; a piece of territory that Russia previously recognised as Ukrainian (until this month) it unilaterally occupied and now says is part of Russia without using the law of Ukraine or it's Governments consent... and you're surprised when this creates a nationalist reaction in Ukraine and the rest of the world doesn't recognise this aggression?
                            if Kravchuk didn't lie to convince Crimeans in 90-92 Crimea would have left on dissolution of USSR.

Lease wasn't violated they could move around and enforce peace outside bases on territory of Crimea.

Self-defense existed, because Berkut, SBU, militia(cops), etc... went over on day 1 to the Crimean gov't.
                            Originally from Sochi, Russia.

Comment

• Yes, Muzychko was killed by several shots at chest, one bullet in heart. Accidental death at police detention... :pop:

Comment

• As I predicted before, Ukraine becomes a can of spiders. This is very symptomatic murder. Methods of Kiev government are not very different from methods of professional gangsters like Sashko Biliy. Pure political murder.

Comment

Working...
                                X