COVID-2019 in America, effect on politics and economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    DE, you have got to stop thinking "Oh this was just Trump being Trump". THIS is all that you EVER need to know about Donald Trump:

[ATTACH]48448[/ATTACH]
    Can you explain the squeeze bit ?

He hopes to control the supply of the first drug known to work in order to squeeze state governors on this like he’s squeezing them on ventilators and PPE.
    Hydroxychloroquine isn't the only drug that can be used here. There are others.

And then there is Convalescent Plasma replacement therapy. This is a hundred yr old trick.

They take some blood plasma from a recovered patient that has anti-bodies and treat another four in the hopes of jump starting their immune systems.

There have been promising results from this therapy so far : )

No drugs needed for this, only blood donors.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 08 Apr 20,, 21:04.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

Hydroxychloroquine isn't the only drug that can be used here. There are others.

And then there is Convalescent Plasma replacement therapy. This is a hundred yr old trick.

They take some blood plasma from a recovered patient that has anti-bodies and treat another four in the hopes of jump starting their immune systems.

There have been promising results from this therapy so far : )

No drugs needed for this, only blood donors.
      Hydroxychloroquine, or plaquenil as I know it, is great for the auto-immune diseases of Lupus and Rheumatoid arthritis. Do you know of other proven uses where I can read the clinical study?

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        Hydroxychloroquine, or plaquenil as I know it, is great for the auto-immune diseases of Lupus and Rheumatoid arthritis. Do you know of other proven uses where I can read the clinical study?
        You may find some pointers here and caveats with the existing data

Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine: Current evidence for their effectiveness in treating COVID-19 | CEBM | Mar 25 2020
        Last edited by Double Edge; 08 Apr 20,, 22:28.

Comment

• Questioning the way we do things, hmmm

Comment

Not a clinical study

Comment

• Thought the French one qualified

Comment

• DE,

what he means by that is simply that by controlling the supply, he can get the governors to "be appreciative" as quid pro quo for getting it.

he's already said as much.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings...s-briefing-13/

Q So what I’m asking is: What more, specifically, do you want the governor of Washington and the governor of Michigan to be doing?

THE PRESIDENT: All I want them to do — very simple — I want them to be appreciative. I don’t want them to say things that aren’t true. I want them to be appreciative. We’ve done a great job. And I’m not talking about me. I’m talking about Mike Pence, the task force; I’m talking about FEMA, the Army Corps of Engineers.

THE PRESIDENT: Because we have done — we have done a job, the likes of which nobody has seen...

Q So it’s the words they’re saying that you’re concerned about? It’s not that they’re —

THE PRESIDENT: I think they should be appreciative because you know what? When they’re not appreciative to me, they’re not appreciative to the Army Corps. They’re not appreciative to FEMA. It’s not right. These people are incredible. They’re working 24 hours a day. Mike Pence — I mean, Mike Pence, I don’t think he sleeps anymore. These — these are people that should be appreciated.

He calls all the governors. I tell him — I mean, I’m a different type of person — I say, “Mike, don’t call the governor of Washington. You’re wasting your time with him. Don’t call the woman in Michigan.” All — it doesn’t make any difference what happens —

Q You don’t want him to call the governor of Washington?

THE PRESIDENT: No, no. You know what I say? If they don’t treat you right, I don’t call. He’s a different type of person. He’ll call quietly anyway. Okay? But he’s done a great job. He should be appreciated for the job he’s done.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

In addition to what Astralis said:

Trump grants ventilators to Colorado 'at the request' of its GOP senator — a week after its Democratic governor begged for them
                  Colorado's Democratic Gov. Jared Polis made it clear his state was in desperate need of ventilators.

In a letter to Vice President Mike Pence sent March 28, Polis asked for 10,000 ventilators and other medical supplies, cc'ing his state's Democratic and Republican senators. But when President Trump announced Wednesday that Colorado was getting 100 ventilators, he said it was at the request of Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Colo.).

Gardner, a Republican facing a tough re-election race this year, tweeted Tuesday that Trump had approved Colorado to use National Guard assistance "at the request of the members of the Colorado congressional delegation." That includes Democratic Sen. Michael Bennet, as well as four other Democratic House representatives and three Republicans.

The number of ventilators Colorado was granted is far short of the total Polis requested from FEMA and the Department of Health and Human Services. He also asked for millions of surgical and N95 masks and gloves, citing a "crisis-level shortage of these essential supplies."
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• btw, this isn't just a case of Trump -threatening- to do this; Trump has ALREADY done it.

Washington, Colorado, New York, Illinois, Massachusetts, Maine were all begging for releases from the national stockpile and only got fractions, sometimes less than half, of what they were requesting-- after delays of well over a month.

Trump then said that the federal government wasn't a "shipping clerk", and Kushner said that it was "our stockpile".

Florida (led by DeSantis, R) then makes a request over -double- the size of Colorado's request.

the full order arrived 3 days later.
                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• There is another problem brewing. Fauci and Blix may have set themselves up for a fall. Their dire prediction of 80,000 to 300,000 dead Americans by the end of April would not seem to pan out. It seems the lower end of the model at 40,000 is within reach BUT they scared Trump into acting with the higher figures. When that is not reach, Trump will decide that they cried wolf and at the very least, start to take their warnings with a grain of salt.

I understand why they did it. Trump is not the man to make the best decision possible even when he have all the information, let alone under time sensitive decisions based on incomplete, and perhaps faulty, but best information available.

Fauci and Blix will not be able to continue the emergency orders after this.
                      Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 09 Apr 20,, 18:22.
                      Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                        There is another problem brewing. Fauci and Blix may have set themselves up for a fall. Their dire prediction of 80,000 to 300,000 dead Americans by the end of April would not seem to pan out. It seems the lower end of the model at 40,000 is within reach BUT they scared Trump into acting with the higher figures. When that is not reach, Trump will decide that they cried wolf and at the very least, start to take their warnings with a grain of salt.
                        Sir, that was bound to happen regardless of anything else.
                        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• again, Trump does not have the power to "force" people back to work. that is up to the governors.

Fauci is predicting roughly 60,000 dead now.

actually, I think what's going to happen is that Trump is going to use that macabre figure as part of his re-election sell. "If not for my leadership, we'd have 500,000 dead Americans..."

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                            again, Trump does not have the power to "force" people back to work. that is up to the governors.
                            I was thinking about opening up the borders back up to at least get the commercial traffics free flowing again, especially food ... and the resulting untested drivers criss-crossing the borders.
                            Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                              actually, I think what's going to happen is that Trump is going to use that macabre figure as part of his re-election sell. "If not for my leadership, we'd have 500,000 dead Americans..."
                              No question about it. This is after all the same guy that said "If we've got 100,000 dead, I'd say that's a good job"

Comment

• Astralis,

Not tracking your comment on Governors being force people back to work....do you mean through unemployment benefits?
                                “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X