This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mihais View Post
    Yes to all 3.This is what freedom and respect for the others mean.Don't like what some chaps are saying,go somewhere else and protest about it.And especially,don't vote them.Vote the ones you like.

And all you did was obfuscating.We are talking about political discourse and speech,not shouting ''fire''.And you are well aware of that.We are also talking about political rallies.

According to your logic is perfectly normal for homos to be attacked when they rally.Afterall,they cause emotional distress to others,religious people.Replace ''homos'' with any group imaginable.Some people don't like X.Bam!!Take that,mother....r!

Let's restate.
    Do you think a legally approved rally has to go on without being attacked?
    Generally speaking,do you think any sort of peaceful political gathering should not be attacked?
    Do you believe that political free speech must not be infringed?
    Do you think people should express their displeasure by violence,not ballots?
    OK, you craft the phrases your way so that I end up agreeing with you, and I'll craft the phrasing my way so that you end up agreeing with me.
    Fair enough?
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Comment

• Not quite so.We are talking about basic,fundamental issues.We either agree or not.

What it seems to me you want to do is introducing a nuance where none is needed.Yet.There is plenty of time for nuances.But for now is simply ''yes'' or ''no''.
      Those who know don't speak
      He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

• Neither the White Supremacists nor Antifa have enough political power to really be factored into a voting decision. These are marginal players right now, and arguing the specifics is more an academic exercise than a policy discussion.

The sooner we get started on our own independent nuclear deterrent the better.
        Ukraine getting its own nuclear deterrent will result in Ukraine getting ostracized, North Korea style, and then you'll be invaded by Russia. You'll be invaded long before your nuclear deterrent actually translates into operational weapons. Not to mention if you nuke Russia, they'll just nuke you back and you'll have the distinct accomplishment of being the first nation utterly eradicated in nuclear war.
        Last edited by GVChamp; 06 Sep 17,, 14:40.
        "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• GVChamp, I have replied to your remarks on Ukrainian/CEE nuclear acquisition in the thread here; http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/sho...=65176&page=16

Comment

• Heard about this DACA thing a few days back. All those kids whose parents were illegal that grew up in the US have to leave. They came forward on the proviso no action would be taken. Now it turns out Trump wants to deport them. Media blows up as it does. Its done now. They have to leave. Terrible news.

Then i learnt Trump need Congress to pass some legislation and now i'm thinking maybe its not so done deal.

How can laws be applied retroactively?

One president says legal, next one says illegal.
            Last edited by Double Edge; 07 Sep 17,, 00:27.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
              Heard about this DACA thing a few days back. All those kids whose parents were illegal that grew up in the US have to leave. They came forward on the proviso no action would be taken. Now it turns out Trump wants to deport them. Media blows up as it does. Its done now. They have to leave. Terrible news.

Then i learnt Trump need Congress to pass some legislation and now i'm thinking maybe its not so done deal.

How can laws be applied retroactively?

One president says legal, next one says illegal.
              Yeah, it's complicated. Obama issued a directive to DHS which said to grant deferred action to these kids. It isn't a law nor an executive order. Now Trump can issue his own directive and tell DHS to ignore what Obama said. Only Trump has told DHS to not do anything for 6 months so Congress can pass a law dealing with these children and young adults now. So now the ball is in Congress's court. Let's hope something gets done since being sent back to their parents country won't be a piece of cake. I have seen Filipinos go back to their ancestor's home because their parents brought them back as they were around 10-12 years old. Problem was that they were never considered Filipino but Filipino-American in school and that could be a big problem. They are outcasts in a way. That family came back 6 years later much to the joy of the now older teenagers.

Comment

• Who saw this coming...

Republican leaders in the room 'shell-shocked' following Trump deal with Democrats

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/06/politi...eal/index.html

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                  Who saw this coming...

Republican leaders in the room 'shell-shocked' following Trump deal with Democrats

http://www.cnn.com/2017/09/06/politi...eal/index.html

Pseudo pragmatism versus politics.
                  To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                    Pseudo pragmatism versus politics.
                    Actually doesn't surprise me too much. Trump gets his adrenaline rush by making deals. He literally lives for that besides getting even with someone who dissed him. So he order to get that rush and to be able to crow about it he will make a deal with anyone who will make a deal with him. He also gets to shove it in the face of the other party he couldn't make a deal with just as he has done in private business. Now next deal...

Sort of like Richard Gere as Edward Lewis who is always on the hunt for businesses to take over for the joy of it. However, a pretty woman breaks him out of it. One should be so lucky...
                    Last edited by tbm3fan; 07 Sep 17,, 22:49.

Comment

Actually doesn't surprise me too much. Trump gets his adrenaline rush by making deals. He literally lives for that besides getting even with someone who dissed him. So he order to get that rush and to be able to crow about it he will make a deal with anyone who will make a deal with him. He also gets to shove it in the face of the other party he couldn't make a deal with just as he has done in private business. Now next deal...

Sort of like Richard Gere as Edward Lewis who is always on the hunt for businesses to take over for the joy of it. However, a pretty woman breaks him out of it. One should be so lucky...
                      Could be. I think it's more like he is at heart an independent. Also he has been disappointed by the factionalism within the GOP Congress. If you listen closely to the more reasonable voices in his core constituency, you'll hear things like, "we want action and if dealing with the dems gets things done, that's fine."
                      To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Could be. I think it's more like he is at heart an independent. Also he has been disappointed by the factionalism within the GOP Congress. If you listen closely to the more reasonable voices in his core constituency, you'll hear things like, "we want action and if dealing with the dems gets things done, that's fine."
                        Now there's a phrase I never thought I'd see ...
                        Trust me?
                        I'm an economist!

Comment

So does that mean Nancy Pelosi is playing the role of Vivian Ward? Cause I might actually pay good money to see Donald Trump ride off into the sunset on a white horse with Nancy in his arms. It would be the perfect ending to an already slightly bizarre Presidency.
                          If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• JAD,

Could be. I think it's more like he is at heart an independent.
                            that's a mighty big tower you're building from fairly slim evidence...:-)
                            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Trump can't get anything by working with Democrats in the House, they aren't the majority. It doesn't matter if a majority of the House supports something, it matters whether House Leadership allows something to the floor, and House Leadership needs buy-in from the entire Party.

Trump needs the Freedom Caucus to get anything done. The only alternative is to not do anything and hope the Dems retake the House in 2018, so he'll have a (R) Senate and (D) House.
                              "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

I think it's more like he is at heart an independent.
                                I think it's more like at heart he entirely self interested.

Comment

Working...
                                X