This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cdude View Post
    The maid is a victim of human trafficking. There is trickery all right. The diplomat tricked the US immigration officer in her false visa application for the maid.
    Bullshit! She got paid better and received better benefits than most people would have got. Or there could be no trickery involved just a difference of opinion of how benefits were derived. For example, if maid got free board and food and etc, that could be part of the minimum wage. After all, finding housing and food in NYC is very expensive

Nobody cares how business is conducted in India. Don't bring that into the US. Be it a diplomat or a company.
    Funny. Why don't you say the same things for your brethren? After all, don't bring in goods produced by slave labor or forced labor. You are just full of hogwash.

Comment

Nobody cares how business is conducted in India. Don't bring that into the US. Be it a diplomat or a company.
      You are right about that. I think the indian diplomatic community will be applying the same yard stick against US diplomats in india in the future.

After all, indians will have to agree to amercian terms and so will they, a lesson in foreign culture.

Comment

Ok, that's the problem. The employer broke the law. Remember, the law is there to protect American workers. Doesn't matter how much the housekeeper agreed on.
        Guess what? the housemaid wasn't American but Indian and she was to go back to India with full savings. She did not have to pay for any kind of expenses in America. All expenses were paid for.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
          or tricked into working for slave wages... same result

She was promised $4500 and got $500 that is shenanigans.
          Not it is not when you have all of your expenses paid off. If i got my housing, food, living expenses, medical expenses, etc paid off and save the money that I earn, I come out way better than 99% of people living on $4500 with no expenses paid off.

She should have been paid what was promised, that is the alternative.
          She got paid, in benefits.

agreed to $4500, not $500
          Through benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by Tronic View Post
            True. If this wasn't pre-planned, then it seems like the housekeeper was in an unhealthy work environment. Treat the workers in your home with respect and you will most likely never get to this point.
            If you have a mutually respectful and a mutually caring relationship, there is no way anyone would humiliate another the way this housekeeper has done to her employer.
            Or it could be another angle... She wanted to get a permanent visa in America and one of the best way to do that is to allege domestic abuse, imagined or real.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
              Guess what? the housemaid wasn't American but Indian and she was to go back to India with full savings. She did not have to pay for any kind of expenses in America. All expenses were paid for.
              She wasn't working for the GOI but an employer in the US, therefore, subject to American laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Blademaster View Post
                Not it is not when you have all of your expenses paid off. If i got my housing, food, living expenses, medical expenses, etc paid off and save the money that I earn, I come out way better than 99% of people living on $4500 with no expenses paid off.
                the visa application said 4500 in direct compensation not benefits. Room and board is an employer, not employee benefit for domestic workers because it keeps the worker on site and on call.

She was a worker in America and this entitled to the legal protections of our system.

13th Amendment section 1- Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Under US law human trafficking and wage slavery violates the 13th.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                  She wasn't working for the GOI but an employer in the US, therefore, subject to American laws.
                  Sir it wouldn't matter, if its not an embassy, slavery including human trafficking would not be permitted regardless.

Comment

Well, the case has neither been about slavery or human trafficking.

But the american side can repeat that narrative another thousand times and maybe it'll magically become true. Actually that's the only song the americans can sing in their defence

It leaves me wondering, if the americans do not respect diplomatic immunity, will their own workers receive immunity rights from host nations? . The americans have disregarded diplomatic rights for a case which is not even complex, it revolves around budget and affordability(a trivial case), how wise was that?
                    Last edited by anil; 15 Dec 13,, 19:07.

Comment

Originally posted by anil View Post
                      Well, the case has neither been about slavery or human trafficking.

But the american side can repeat that narrative another thousand times and maybe it'll magically become true. Actually that's the only song the americans can sing in their defence

It leaves me wondering, if the americans do not respect diplomatic immunity, will their own workers receive immunity rights from host nations?

Anil, please provide any documentation showing how a consular official enjoyed diplomatic immunity of the type up claim she does.

Comment

She was a consular official not a diplomat, diplomatic technician or member of a diplomats family. She does not have diplomatic immunity but an immunty limited to minor crimes. Human trafficking and immigration fraud are felonies and serious crimes.

Comment

zraver, its not a game of words. The american govt just arrested an indian govt official serving on a budget.

Comment

Again, here are the legal positions stated by both sides. Khobragade does not enjoy 100% diplomatic immunity. How much does she enjoy is now the debate.

India, US fight over Devyani Khobragade's immunity - The Times of India

Comment

The american courts can serve her as they want for her crimes but don't expect the indian govt to respect diplomatic rights of US workers in india from this point on. These rights have just been thrown out the window.
                              Last edited by anil; 15 Dec 13,, 19:28.

Comment

Good! I expect and demand people representing my country to be on their best behaviour.

Comment

Working...
                                X