Historical US Navy vessels (where are they now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historical US Navy vessels (where are they now

I'm starting this in a new thread so that I will not be putting eggs in the orange baskets! I mean it kinda fits in some other threads, but not really!:confu:

In the course of other discussions there has been mentioned the fate of some of our WW2 ships. Thanks to satellite imagery I have dealt with a number of episodes of insomnia by travelling the globe on line and looking for those ships we gave, lent or sold to others after the war. I wonder how many still exist and are rusting away somewhere waiting to be rescued and come back home!
    It would be so nice (though doubtful) if those countries we lent these ships to would give them back when they're done! OK, but one can dream!
    One class of shiips that have dwindled to a couple is the Admirable Class Minesweepers. There are only two left in the US. The Hazard in Omaha has faced a few flood threats and though high and dry on land, her fate is still risky. There is one other on the west (left) coast that was reclaimed by some vets and is currently trying to make a comeback.
    Then there were a couple we gave to the Phiilipines! While taking a virtual tour over Cavite I spotted two hulks sitting there that look to be two of our missing ships. I have cropped in a picture of the Hazard for comparison. Could they be 2 of our Admirable Class?

Now, not knowing how old this Google image is, they may not be there anymore! But, who knows! Maybe we have someone in here that can tell! Or, maybe we have someone in here from the RP that could find out!

I am currently examining a Gearing Class Destroyer the Mexicans still have. Hmmm...how many more are still out there?
    No, this is not a "Naval Quiz" question! :grump:
    Last edited by SlaterDoc; 30 Dec 13,, 07:37. Reason: dumb fingers hit the wrong key!

They are not! Not Admirable Class anyway! What they are is even rarer! They are the former USS Amherst, PCE(R)-853) and the former USS PCE-884. Do we have even one of these remaining in the US?
    A different view of them tied up at Cavite

In their day!

Comment

Looking for a place to put this, I guess this thread works- Admin if there is a better place or new thread is appropriate do what you must or advise me to move it.

Quincy's ferry service, USS Salem museum closed indefinitely - News - The Patriot Ledger, Quincy, MA - Quincy, MA

Civic groups, city officials: Keep the USS Salem in Quincy - News - The Patriot Ledger, Quincy, MA - Quincy, MA

USNSM USS Salem CA-139

Apparently this occurred this past October. Thru no fault of their own a water main broke damaging the pier and causing the agency owning it- the MBTA (Mass Bay Transportation authority) to shut them down. It is a shame as there are not many of this type of ship preserved as museums.

Comment

Works for me Don! This should be a thread about the museum ships and what's happening with them!

As for the Salem..... I am amazed they did not come up with, plan for or fight for an alternative that would keep them open! There is plenty of parking nearby. I am sure they could have arranged access to the ship in some fashion! Move the brow to the bow or aft to the stern and then close off the rest of the pier. But then, there is little in the way of "determined leadership" or any active veteran crew on her! It does not speak well for her future!

Comment

The drawback of museum ships, dreamers and incompetent management.
          Last edited by tbm3fan; 02 Feb 14,, 09:11. Reason: used wrong noun

Comment

If they can get some of the parties involved like the T to whom they were paying rent, and the MWRA whose water main broke damaging the pier, to front some money, maybe they could move it or at least get some heating oil. If you are a rent payer and the landlord doesn't use the rent money to maintain the rental property don't you have some claim? I'd just hate to see this ship be lost, there aren't many heavy cruisers left- only 2 by my count and only one all gun and in it's original build. Maybe it could go to Boston or Fall River, but I don't know that there is room there and there really should be something at Fore River when you consider the number of ships built there.

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
              Apparently this occurred this past October. Thru no fault of their own a water main broke damaging the pier and causing the agency owning it- the MBTA (Mass Bay Transportation authority) to shut them down. It is a shame as there are not many of this type of ship preserved as museums.
              Damn! USS Salem is a rare breed...in fact I don't recall any other 8-inch gunned cruisers still around. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong)
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Just Olympia though she's in a sad state. I did't know the Salem was closed indefinately wth! They're website just says they are working on the pier. I really hope they get her open for June when I go up there as i'd love to see her. Hopefully she doesnt get thrown away as theres no other like her. Ughh....
                RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

The Pier is owned by the MBTA, Mass bay Transportation Authority and they have decided NOT to repair the pier. The Museum is now in a really difficult position, not having any income for 4 months, needing heating oil to keep things from freezing on the ship and paying the 4 staff members. The parking is all on MBTA property and they have closed and fenced it off. I don't think there is any place they could put the brow that it wouldn't be on the pier but I'd have to go by there again and get a better look. Not happening now while my shoulder is broke. I've sent emails to the Gov and MBTA, I think that's a place to start. The Salem had some challenges, but if the public had access, she would be open and have a fighting chance. @ 85 gt kid- the Olympia is an old Spanish American War protected cruiser, the USS Salem is a WW2 era all gun heavy cruiser with automatic 8 in triple gun mounts. There are no others like her. The closest would be the USS Little Rock in Buffalo, a former Cleveland class cruiser with 6 in guns converted into a Talos guided missile cruiser.

Comment

I may have posted them before, but here are a couple of shots of the Salem
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here is a current photo from the local paper:
                      Attached Files

Comment

From those pictures she looks to be in decent shape given the environment she is in. Time to light some fires as the last heavy cruiser shouldn't go down like this.

Here is a crappy movie but we're not here to see the human actors as much as the ship. They couldn't even remove the 139 from the hull while filming was being done. The Salem is pretty new here.

Last edited by tbm3fan; 02 Feb 14,, 09:47.

Comment

While at it...

Here is a 7 part series from 1956 on You Tube. Only #1 and #7 (because I like cleaning a teak deck) while the others can be found via #1 on You Tube

Life on the Salem in 1956 - YouTube

Comment

From those pictures she looks to be in decent shape given the environment she is in
                            tbm, never judge a book by it's cover!
                            The last time I was on her (last Summer) it almost brought tears to my eyes! They do not have many funds and there is a lack of invlovement by many. For the size of our ship, we have a good size and dedicated crew. She doesn't! From the deck the lack of maintenance would make you cry! There was moss and grass growing all over in and between her deck boards. There was hardly an area that the paint wasn't peeling and the surface rusting away! The first platform, being the only area open to the public was also an obvious area of neglect. The old battleship linoleum was cracking and lifting everywhere. I hope it is not the original stuff with the "asbestos" content.
                            The neglect was evident even before you step on board. The artifacts they have on the shore side were showing the same signs The jeep needs attention like everything else.

What may be a good thing out of all this is that the attention may change things to the positive! If they move her to a new location she may see a revitalization. Where she is, is a tough place to find and access. A lot of locals are screaming she should stay. But, where were they as she slid into this condition? Where is the money to keep her heated?

I don't think there is any room for her in Fall River. The only place that makes sense would be the now empty and flooded Drydock #2 in Charlestown. But ..... that park is owned and operated by the NPS! They ain't gonna want her or the cost and responsibility that goes with her!
                            As for next to the Intrepid? Forget that too! They don't want anymore there! They moved Edson out because they didn't want her there! Slater started out there and had to move out too back in the 90's! Thank God she is in Albany, where they "want" her and support her!
                            Let's just hope "they" come up with a solution for her in the former (Quincy) Fore River Shipyard!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Maybe we could get a little money from the German government to save the ship that "portrayed" the Graf Spee!

Comment

Working...
                              X