Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some interiors of Olympia

Attached Files
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
      I visited USS Olympia and USS Becuna back in May, got a few pictures

[ATTACH]37707[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37708[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]37711[/ATTACH]
      We took Jesse L. Brown (FF 1089) into Philadelphia proper (as opposed to the Navy Yard or whatever) for Independence Day in 1993. We were moored at Penn’s Landing, just across the basin from ex-USS Olympia and ex-USS Becuna. I don’t believe Olympia was moored outboard of Becuna back then, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, we held “Open Ship” for three days and had thousands stream through the ship. Being XO at that point, I took the time not to play tour guide, except when I was sitting in my chair on the bridge doing some paperwork, and enjoying the view, and some little kid kept asking those “fanboy” questions that only someone who is a fanboy can ask, so I took him and his parents on a special tour that no one else got. Like down through CIC, engineering, etc.; all those things that tours like that never show. Of course, I moved much better in those days, so he and I were moving fast up and down ladders while mom and dad were probably cursing me for having indulged their kid. They looked like they were rode hard and put up wet when we were through.

Regardless, I slipped into civilian attire when I could, and visited Olympia. It was quite an eye opener, as my frigate was nearly 100 feet longer than that cruiser, but 1000 tons lighter. Jesse L. Brown was much roomier too. Of course we didn’t have guns in every nook and cranny, like Olympia, including in the wardroom. I couldn't really see what was going on in the bilges, but if I had, by the way this thing reads, I’d have condemned her.

Comment

Originally posted by desertswo View Post
        We took Jesse L. Brown (FF 1089) into Philadelphia proper (as opposed to the Navy Yard or whatever) for Independence Day in 1993. We were moored at Penn’s Landing, just across the basin from ex-USS Olympia and ex-USS Becuna. I don’t believe Olympia was moored outboard of Becuna back then, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, we held “Open Ship” for three days and had thousands stream through the ship. Being XO at that point, I took the time not to play tour guide, except when I was sitting in my chair on the bridge doing some paperwork, and enjoying the view, and some little kid kept asking those “fanboy” questions that only someone who is a fanboy can ask, so I took him and his parents on a special tour that no one else got. Like down through CIC, engineering, etc.; all those things that tours like that never show. Of course, I moved much better in those days, so he and I were moving fast up and down ladders while mom and dad were probably cursing me for having indulged their kid. They looked like they were rode hard and put up wet when we were through.
        Haha, that is an awesome story!

Comment

Regardless, I slipped into civilian attire when I could, and visited Olympia. It was quite an eye opener, as my frigate was nearly 100 feet longer than that cruiser, but 1000 tons lighter. Jesse L. Brown was much roomier too. Of course we didn’t have guns in every nook and cranny, like Olympia, including in the wardroom. I couldn't really see what was going on in the bilges, but if I had, by the way this thing reads, I’d have condemned her.
          First time long time, but this is a great time for me to ask my question.. What is the definition of "fanboy" and do you find their questions repulsive, or do you just not want to answer the same questions 836 times? I love learning, but certainly wouldnt want to overstep my bounds. I wouldnt want a pilot at a military open house answering my question just to be rolling his eyes as I walk away. I can sit here for hours reading all the insights on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by 96Daksport View Post
            First time long time, but this is a great time for me to ask my question.. What is the definition of "fanboy" and do you find their questions repulsive, or do you just not want to answer the same questions 836 times? I love learning, but certainly wouldnt want to overstep my bounds. I wouldnt want a pilot at a military open house answering my question just to be rolling his eyes as I walk away. I can sit here for hours reading all the insights on this site.
            With me, there is no "out of bounds" and I will answer any question put tp me, by a fanboy or no. I first encountered the term "fanboy" a few years back on an NFL website. Basically it meant a person who knew all sorts of minutia, but still didn't understand the game because they never actually played the game at any level. Taken to the military, it's the kid who reads all he can about warships, but again, still doesn't really understand how the "game" is played. So you answer the questions to the degree you can, but consider the age of the person asking the question; it keeps us from flame spraying them.

Comment

With me, there is no "out of bounds" and I will answer any question put tp me, by a fanboy or no. I first encountered the term "fanboy" a few years back on an NFL website. Basically it meant a person who knew all sorts of minutia, but still didn't understand the game because they never actually played the game at any level. Taken to the military, it's the kid who reads all he can about warships, but again, still doesn't really understand how the "game" is played. So you answer the questions to the degree you can, but consider the age of the person asking the question; it keeps us from flame spraying them.
              You are right on target Captain. The only "dumb" question is the one that is never asked.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                You are right on target Captain. The only "dumb" question is the one that is never asked.
                I use to think the same thing but.........

Attached Files

Comment

Yep, news reporters can, and do, turn that saying upside down. Forgot about them...

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                    I use to think the same thing but.........

[ATTACH]37744[/ATTACH]
                    Christ on a crutch, did a CNN reporter actually ask that? Lord, take me now!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by desertswo View Post
                      Christ on a crutch, did a CNN reporter actually ask that? Lord, take me now!!!!

Comment

• The only solution, since we've passed the tipping point for global climate shiftibility and rising dihydroxyl levels is the militarization of the moon.
                        With this program, we should be able to fill shovel ready jobs and push those nasty space rocks further away from innocent CNN reporters.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                          You've never met my PM, have you?

And CNN has been going downhill ever since the Gulf War...but then so has most of TV "news" broadcasts!
                          Last edited by Albany Rifles; 23 Aug 14,, 21:03.
                          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                            And CNN has been going downhill ever since the Gulf War...but then so has most of TV "news" broadcasts!
                            Probably one of the few examples where competition has ruined the product instead of improving it.

Comment

• What about CNN reporter Don Lemon, speculating that Malaysian Air flight 370 was consumed by a Black Hole!

Comment

• Yorktown repair cost estimated at more than $81 million

MOUNT PLEASANT — The estimated cost of repairing the World War II-era aircraft carrier Yorktown at Patriots Point comes in at more than $81 million.

That’s the figure Patriots Point Executive Director Mac Burdette outlined Friday in a long-range plan for the former war-time vessel.
                                The history

Most of the work on the Yorktown would not occur for at least a decade.

“The plan will change depending on necessity and availability of funds,” Burdette said. “The numbers are guesstimates at best.”

An environmental assessment of the 888-foot ship must be conducted before any repair work can be done to identify what liquids might be in hard-to-reach storage holds, and to determine exactly where they are.

That is expected to be completed by January. The board approved $380,000 on Friday for the study.

“It will show what we have to deal with before we can start repairing the ship,” Burdette said. “You don’t want to start cutting into the side of the ship and have contaminated materials leaking into Charleston Harbor, and you don’t want workers in areas where we don’t know what’s there.”

No money has been budgeted for the necessary repairs.

They include $25 million to install a cofferdam around the Yorktown so about $20 million in hull work can be performed on the ship. Its keel is sitting in 26 feet of mud on the edge of Charleston Harbor, and officials don’t know what condition it is in.

The aging warship, a popular visitor attraction, first docked at Patriots Point in 1975.

Some of the other major costs to repair the Yorktown include $10 million to replace the pier, $6 million to paint the Yorktown’s exterior and $5 million to replace the flight deck.

After the environmental study is completed, Burdette estimated that it will take about $6 million to de-water and clean compartments of whatever chemicals and liquids are found on the ship.

“This is our first step toward the ultimate restoration of the Yorktown,” he said. “Where the money comes from is truly the $80 million question.”

Patriots Point hopes to tap several sources to save the National Historic Landmark, commissioned in 1943 and given the same name of the ship the Japanese sunk in the Battle of Midway in the Pacific in 1942. Like its namesake, the Yorktown also served in the Pacific theater.

The naval and maritime museum looks to develop 36 prime acres around its ticket office for an infusion of cash; it hopes the recently announced $100 million Medal of Honor Museum will entice others to invest nearby in lucrative leasing arrangements; and it looks to embark on a massive fundraising effort in conjunction with the Yorktown Association and the Patriots Point Foundation.

“We are prepared to take on the task when it is handed to us,” Yorktown Association Executive Director Todd Cummins said of the looming fundraising campaign. He oversees a group of about 1,500 Yorktown veterans across the nation.

“They love the ship, and they want to be part of getting her fixed,” he said.

Cummins estimated that fundraising will start small, with hundreds of thousands of dollars at first, then swell to millions as the effort gets under way in earnest.

“It’s immeasurable what the Yorktown means for Charleston, the state, the Southeast and the nation,” he said.

Retired Maj. Gen. Jim Livingston, a Medal of Honor recipient, echoed Cummins’ remarks on the Yorktown’s impact on the community, and he lauded Patriots Point’s current leadership for looking ahead to save the storied vessel.

“It’s an uphill climb, but the leadership out there is capable of stepping up to the plate,” Livingston said.

He added that the fundraising effort to save the Yorktown will not conflict with the move to raise $100 million for the proposed Medal of Honor Museum at Patriots Point.

“I think we are appealing to totally different people,” Livingston said. “The museum will have a national appeal because of the nature of recipients from every state being represented.”

Lastly, Burdette said asking for government aid also will come into play.

The environmental assessment and the subsequent structural analysis of the ship will provide concrete evidence of the ship’s condition that can be provided to federal officials, he said.

“We can go to the Department of Defense and the Secretary of the Navy and perhaps put together a cogent argument that there is a shared responsibility here,” Burdette said. “We can’t just go pounding on doors in Washington and say, ‘The sky is falling,’ and have no evidence of anything. It’s going to take an effort by everybody.”

Entire article: http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...han-81-million

Another article back from January: http://www.postandcourier.com/articl...PC05/150119507

Comment

Working...
                                X