• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:slap:
    RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

Originally posted by NavyDoc View Post
      7th thought: What would I want for a memorial if given that choice? ...you can keep my ship from rusting away! It doesn't have to be the ship I served on. She's already been scrapped years ago anyway! But, when one of those vessels that was there and carried many young men into battle and harm's way can be saved, it should be! It would be a living memorial that continues on beyond my existence! Yes, those ships do live! They hold the souls of many!
      To continue on that thought of his; was reading the comments on the page where the semi final round "Capital region gives" vote was that for the category SLATER was in and what do I see..

None-other than a comment by one of our WWII DE Guys (Is 86 or 87 years old) and served on both the HAROLD C. THOMAS DE 21 & WESSON DE 184. His comment was the following -

I am proud to be a volunteer on the Slater for the past ten years. I served on a DE during WWII. I feel it is important that people know about such ships that played an import role during that war and several others since. I would like to cast my vote for the Slater H.M.
      And hear he is during SLATER's move this past march;

Attached Files

Comment

Didn't want to drag up an old thread on her although we all wished she could become a museum. Nonetheless, I was lead to this by a friend and thought some here might be interested.

USS Enterprise
        We Are Legend
        1961-2012

Big E Limited Edition - We Are Legend | Teespring

I'm not sure if this is considered advertising given how fond we are of the Big E, but if it is then mods can delete it.
        Last edited by tbm3fan; 21 Feb 14,, 09:20.

Comment

Ex U.S.S. Harnett County LST-821 Aground

Honestly I'm not sure what the best place this fits in...so if it goes better somewhere else feel free to move it!

But anyhow - came across this of of the Ex USS Harnett Country/South Vietnamese RVNS My Tho HQ-800/Philippine BRP Sierra Madre (LT-57).

It's been grounded since 1999 and is used as an "advanced outpost" (More like advanced rust bucket? )

The part I find most interesting is how its manned by eight Filipino troops still. Would you feel safe being stationed there?

Link has an article/video/pictures that talks about & shows the conditions inside. (use your mouse scroll button - it works the best to view it)

A Game of Shark and Minnow - Who Will Win Control of the South China Sea? - NYTimes.com

P.S Despite the name of the article there is a decent amount about the ship itself by the way ;)
          Attached Files

Comment

Very informing article....

Originally posted by qaz14595 View Post
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]35818[/ATTACH]

Honestly I'm not sure what the best place this fits in...so if it goes better somewhere else feel free to move it!

But anyhow - came across this of of the Ex USS Harnett Country/South Vietnamese RVNS My Tho HQ-800/Philippine BRP Sierra Madre (LT-57).

It's been grounded since 1999 and is used as an "advanced outpost" (More like advanced rust bucket? )

The part I find most interesting is how its manned by eight Filipino troops still. Would you feel safe being stationed there?

Link has an article/video/pictures that talks about & shows the conditions inside. (use your mouse scroll button - it works the best to view it)

A Game of Shark and Minnow - Who Will Win Control of the South China Sea? - NYTimes.com

P.S Despite the name of the article there is a decent amount about the ship itself by the way ;)
            Thank you qaz ;) very informative article.

Comment

Update on USS Salem situation.
              MBTA to help out struggling USS Salem - News - The Patriot Ledger, Quincy, MA - Quincy, MA

Comment

Thank you Don for posting. Hopefully they will stay with it now!

Comment

Not a museum ship, or, well, not really a ship at all. But this fellow would make an interesting neighbor....

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/man-mi...040022008.html

Comment

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
                    Not a museum ship, or, well, not really a ship at all. But this fellow would make an interesting neighbor....

http://sports.yahoo.com/video/man-mi...040022008.html
                    He had me up til the end when opened the door to his cars and said his deal was "Mopar or no car". :slap:
                    Hard to believe how much that Chrysler crap is worth now. Stuff was junk in its day, now it's gold.

But seriously, that dude rocks. Full replica of the USS Terry, DD513's bridge that he built? Mast, radars, everything. That's more impressive than the missile launcher to me.

Comment

Kind of a sad end for an Okinawa veteran, but at least she's still being "used".

Comment

Originally posted by Pacfanweb View Post
                        He had me up til the end when opened the door to his cars and said his deal was "Mopar or no car". :slap:
                        Hard to believe how much that Chrysler crap is worth now. Stuff was junk in its day, now it's gold.

But seriously, that dude rocks. Full replica of the USS Terry, DD513's bridge that he built? Mast, radars, everything. That's more impressive than the missile launcher to me.
                        It's unreal what that stuff goes for. My friend Mick restores specialty Mustangs and he said it's stupid what people will pay for stuff. Hell I think a shaker for a Hemi went for like $15K awhile back :confu:.

That was really cool what he had though. Funny that the news cast really thought that SAM launcher was real...

Comment

Apparently, the Philippine Navy is going to repair the ship in situ.

BRP Sierra Madre set to be repaired - Manila Standard Today

Comment

Historic ship Olympia to remain at Penn's Landing

PHILADELPHIA After three years of trying to find a new home outside of Penn's Landing for the historic warship Olympia, officials are reversing course.

Leaders of the Independence Seaport Museum announced Wednesday that they will keep the Olympia, described as the oldest steel warship afloat, at Penn's Landing. It was launched in 1892.

In 2010, officials announced that the museum could no longer afford the upkeep on the vessel, and would seek an owner who could pay up to $30 million to tow, restore, and endow the vessel, which had fallen into disrepair. The museum contacted the Navy, saying it would "relinquish its stewardship of this national treasure and its valuable artifact collection."

On Wednesday, officials said the museum would continue to make repairs to the ship and launch a fund-raising effort for the vessel's preservation.

Asked what prompted the change, museum spokeswoman Hope Koseff Corse said that under new leadership the institution has been looking for ideas for new interpretations and exhibits.
                            "The Olympia fits in extremely well with the stories we are telling and plan to tell with new exhibits," Corse said.

Jesse Lebovics, the museum's director of historic ships, said that while the search for a new home was being conducted, the Olympia was a significant contributor to revenue and visitors at the museum.

"The last few years have proved that it is absolutely vital that the Olympia becomes integral to the museum," Lebovics said.

He described the ship, 344 feet long, as "absolutely unique in the world. . . . It is the only surviving veteran of the Spanish-American War. It's a unique time capsule to the late 1800s."

The Olympia, which was Cmdr. George Dewey's flagship at the Battle of Manila and on which he famously said, "You may fire when you are ready, Gridley," is one of two historic ships at the museum. The other is the Becuna, a World War II-era submarine decommissioned in 1969.

Officials said six organizations around the country submitted transfer applications for the Olympia. They said only two, in California and in South Carolina, were asked to provide detailed plans for the ship's preservation.

A panel found neither organization had viable long-term plans for the vessel, officials said.

Lebovics said a $7 million fund-raising effort is being launched for repair work to the ship, especially its hull, which he said has become thin in some places and developed leaks.

Lebovics said the process of searching for a new home for the Olympia showed there is much interest in the vessel.

"The transfer process we've been working on has shown us there is national interest in the ship," Lebovics said. "People want to come here and see it, and people want to give money to help save it."

Read more at Historic ship Olympia to remain at Penn's Landing
                            Or the AP version of the story -

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Caretakers for a historic steel cruiser from the Spanish-American War say they have ended an effort to find another home for it and are keeping it in Philadelphia.

The Independence Seaport Museum at Penn's Landing had been looking for a new home for the USS Olympia for four years.

The rusting 344-foot-long warship needs repairs costing millions of dollars, money the museum doesn't have. It hasn't been dry-docked since 1945.

The search for a new owner yielded proposals from California and South Carolina. But museum president John Brady said Wednesday a review panel determined neither group had viable long-term plans in place.

Brady says the museum will promote tours and new activities on the Olympia while a $20 million national fundraising campaign gets underway.
                            AP version of the story can be found on many multiple news websites if you simply Google "Historic warship will be staying in Philadelphia"

Comment

Interesting. Hopefully they can turn her around.

Comment

Hopefully it turns out well for them. The Olympia is truly a unique museum ship. They all are in one way or another, but the Olympia is really the only example from her period- when the US Navy drove the US to world power status.

Comment

Working...
                                X