• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illumination since they didn't have arty illum rounds
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• Illuminating their own trenches to allow the Germans to bombard them?

The Russians performed poorly, but not that poorly.

Think of the type of warfare that did occur during the First, but not during the Second World War.
      And the nature of the question is purely physical.

Comment

• Entropy

Illuminating their own trenches to allow the Germans to bombard them?

You missed my point...illumination so that the Russian soldiers could engage attacking Germans at night.

Do not scoff at this. There are ample examples of this exact method being used.

Perhaps if you gave a measurement or distance of the straw piles from the edge of the trench line this question would make sense.
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          Illuminating their own trenches to allow the Germans to bombard them?

You missed my point...illumination so that the Russian soldiers could engage attacking Germans at night.

Do not scoff at this. There are ample examples of this exact method being used.

Perhaps if you gave a measurement or distance of the straw piles from the edge of the trench line this question would make sense.
          My apoligies sir, it was by no means an attempt to ridiculize.
          Also my apologies for the unclear description. The straw wasn't piled, but put in a layer in front of the trenches. The layer was even and parallel with the entire trench.

x is straw
          = is trench

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
          ==================

The straw was put almost immediately before the trench.

Keep in mind that poor Russian logistics made one particular item scarce in the inventory of the soldiers.

Comment

• Okay...it served as an early warning device...i.e., the crunching underfoot of the straw, etc, would signal an attack?
            Mark Twain

Comment

• It was put on fire, sir. But on a very special occasion.

Comment

• To prevent water from seeping in :))
                When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

• As communications - light fire to signal infantry(raiding party/sturmtruppen) attack ? Because these would not be announced by artillery preparations?
                  If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

• The answer is purely physical, gentlemen. No information technology involved.

Comment

• Against chemical attack? As protection?
                      Or another - to bury the stench of rotting corpses
                      If i only was so smart yesterday as my wife is today

Minding your own biz is great virtue, but situation awareness saves lives - Dok

Comment

• Chemical attack is correct. Any ideas on the exact working of this technique?

(my English has deteriorated seriously during my WABsence. Should post more here)

Comment

• The flames would burn the mustard gas particles as they drifted over?
                          sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

• It doesn't burn.

Comment

• The flames would cause a hot air barrier-as the gas reached the line of flames it would be carried up on the hot air??
                              "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Originally posted by Shamus View Post
                                The flames would cause a hot air barrier-as the gas reached the line of flames it would be carried up on the hot air??
                                Yeeeeeees, yeeeeees!

Due to braindead putting everyone on the right track, I do not know who of you should have the next question.

What I can do, is provide this nice set of dueling pistols.

Comment

Working...
                                X