X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Real_Time_with_Bill_Maher

New Rule: America's Mass Delusion
    05 February 2021

It's fun to laugh at QAnon, but if you accord religious faith the kind of exalted respect we do here in America, you’ve already lost the argument that mass delusion is bad.

Comment

• Trump's DC hotel is hiking prices for March 4 - the day QAnon followers think the former president will be sworn in

QAnon's most dedicated followers still believe that former President Donald Trump, who lost the 2020 presidential election, is yet to be sworn in.

March 4, 2021 is a day they have marked in their diaries, insisting that is the date when Trump will be inaugurated in Washington, DC, and, ultimately, return to power.

Coincidentally, Trump International Hotel in Washington, DC is hiking up the prices of suites around that period. The hotel, just blocks away from the White House, has almost tripled the rates for some rooms on the nights of March 3 and 4, according to Forbes.

The reason why QAnon supporters place so much importance on March 4 is rooted in the bizarre beliefs of the 'sovereign citizen movement.'

It believes that Americans are not subject to a variety of federal laws. The basis for this is that a law, enacted in 1871, secretly turned the US into a corporation rather than a nation.

Consequently, they view every president inaugurated since as illegitimate. Members of the sovereign citizen movement believe that former President Ulysses S. Grant was the last legitimate president.

Grant, like other presidents in the 19th century, was inaugurated on March 4. The sovereign citizen movement believes that the republic will be restored and Trump will become the US's 19th president on March 4, 2021.

This fantasy has gained traction with the hardcore of QAnon adherents attempting to make sense of President Joe Biden's recent inauguration, according to Vice.

March 4 appears to have become a marketing opportunity for Trump's DC hotel.

The normal rate for a deluxe king in March would usually run between $476 and $596, according to Forbes. This year, the same type of room is priced has almost tripled. On March 3 and 4, the magazine reported that the room is going for $1,331 per night.

The price hike is exclusive to the Trump International Hotel, according to Zach Everson in his 1100 Pennsylvania newsletter.

Other luxury hotels in the White House's vicinity appear to have standard rates for the nights of March 3 and 4, Everson said.

Trump International Hotel did not immediately respond to Insider's request for comment for this story.

This would not be the first time that a Trump hotel had raised its rates to coincide with a political event.

On January 5 and 6, Trump International raised its rates significantly. The cheapest room available was $8,000 on the night of the deadly insurrection, according to Forbes' reporter Suzanne Rowan Kelleher.

On January 7, the hotel's managing director shared that the Capitol siege's week was one of "record-breaking" numbers.

The extreme gullibility of Trump's followers cannot be overstated.

Mark your calendars: these poor stupid bastards are going to come unglued by the evening of March 4th.

“He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• the gullibility would be funnier if it wasn't for the little base issue of, "I can't wait until God Emperor Trump publicly executes all political opposition!"

shoulda figured Jade Helm was only the cute prologue.
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I analyzed all of Trump's tweets to find out what he was really saying

The tally was in, it was clear Donald Trump had lost – and he tweeted: “either a new election should take place or … results nullified.”

It sounds familiar, but it wasn’t November 2020. It was February 2016.

Trump was just months into his presidential campaign, and was already telling a story he would tell countless times over the following five years, hinting to the world at the character of the man the U.S. Senate will soon evaluate in the impeachment trial.

Back then, Trump was seeking to nullify Ted Cruz’s victory. And he was accusing Iowa of bungling the primary vote counting.

The State of Iowa should disqualify Ted Cruz from the most recent election on the basis that he cheated – a total fraud!” Trump tweeted.

The Donald Trump Americans think of now was the same Donald Trump who entered the election in 2015 and the White House in 2016. Some of his power to rally a loyal base was based on his repetitive rhetorical style, but on Twitter he was especially potent as narrator-in-chief of his own political life.

In 2017, I began to collect all of his tweets, going back to June 16, 2015, the day he announced his candidacy. I kept at it until Jan. 8, 2021, the day Twitter permanently suspended his account. I wanted to learn more about how he used language. But in those 20,301 tweets I learned something more fundamental about how the 45th president of the United States used Twitter to tell his own story.

A storyteller president
          Trump was more effusively positive and more bitingly negative than the politicians, journalists, news organizations and activists I compared him to – including Democratic presidential candidate Hillary Clinton, Katy Tur of NBC, pro-Trump activist Linda Suhler and Black Lives Matter activist DeRay Mckesson.

However, the main distinction I found was that Trump was among the most frequent users of storytelling methods. Since I am a digital narrative researcher, that intrigued me.

Storytelling in general is common among effective politicians, but Trump’s effort appears to have built a high level of loyalty, diverted attention away from negative topics and generally set the agenda for what the American public was discussing.

Others have looked at this aspect of Trump’s appeal, examining specific stories throughout his presidency, his style of storytelling and even the rhetorical components of his populist narrative.

But I discovered a particular story structure that he used the whole time.

Consistency amid change

There were five main themes, which appeared regularly – often all in one day:
          1. The true version of the United States is beset with invaders;
          2. Real Americans can see this;
          3. I (Trump) am uniquely qualified to stop this invasion;
          4. The establishment and its agents are hindering me;
          5. The U.S. is in mortal danger because of this.

Taken together over time, this formed an overall story structure that I summarize this way: “The establishment is stopping me from protecting you against invaders.”

The elements were flexible. “The establishment” could be anyone – Democrats, the NFL, a media outlet, a corporation and even Vice President Mike Pence. “The invaders” were China, the coronavirus that first emerged there, people crossing the U.S.-Mexico border or Black Lives Matter protesters.

But the structure never changed: There was a danger to the nation, Trump was uniquely able to protect America and he was righteously supported by “real” Americans.

That is what he said; how it worked was equally important.

Telling a different story
          In terms storytelling scholars use, Trump “rescripted” the world to fit his themes. He took elements of news articles, viral videos, other tweets and whatever else he needed to build his messages. He took storylines that were already in the public sphere and placed new meaning on them to fit his own tale.

During the 2015 lead-up to the Republican primary, for example, the conservative Club for Growth spent US$1 million running negative ads against Trump. But Trump, tweeting, rescripted the story: “The phony Club For Growth, which asked me in writing for $1,000,000 (I said no), is now wanting to do negative ads on me. Total hypocrites!” The Club for Growth was a groveling and fraudulent establishment; he was effective and powerful.

Trump would also rescript characters into multiple, sometimes contradictory, messages, depending on the day’s news. Consider his tweeting about China, which was first a partner, then a trade adversary and finally an invader:
          • 2017: “The failing @nytimes hates the fact that I have developed a great relationship with World leaders like Xi Jinping, President of China…..”
          • 2018: “We are not in a trade war with China, that war was lost many years ago by the foolish, or incompetent, people who represented the U.S. Now we have a Trade Deficit of $500 Billion a year, with Intellectual Property Theft of another $300 Billion. We cannot let this continue!”
          • 2020: “New China Virus Cases up (because of massive testing), deaths are down, ‘low and steady’. The Fake News Media should report this and also, that new job numbers are setting records!”
          Sticking to the script
          Trump most commonly tweeted about the government, media and corporate institutions, which often became fodder for news coverage. The media often framed the tweets as attacks and “counter-punching.” But in a closer read, they were not merely responses to criticism or bad news. They regularly described something, the way a narrator would.

But his recasting of reality through his own lens may have also played a role in Trump’s downfall. All the attacks, all the twisting of information, all the fear, may have worn out just enough people in key states to ensure his defeat.

When that defeat struck, Trump’s storytelling framework did not change: It escalated and multiplied, consuming everything and everyone who did not blatantly support what many have called the Big Lie – that the election was rigged against him:
          • Jan. 3, 2021: “I spoke to Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger yesterday about Fulton County and voter fraud in Georgia. He was unwilling, or unable, to answer questions such as the ‘ballots under table’ scam, ballot destruction, out of state ‘voters’, dead voters, and more. He has no clue!”
          • Jan. 6, 2021: “Mike Pence didn’t have the courage to do what should have been done to protect our Country and our Constitution, giving States a chance to certify a corrected set of facts, not the fraudulent or inaccurate ones which they were asked to previously certify. USA demands the truth!”
          A path to the end

There is no one single line from a Trump speech or tweet that is going to be the smoking gun urging his followers to violence.

But he did help set the scene for the Capitol raid. The most famous was on Dec. 19, 2020: “Peter Navarro releases 36-page report alleging election fraud ‘more than sufficient’ to swing victory to Trump … A great report by Peter. Statistically impossible to have lost the 2020 Election. Big protest in D.C. on January 6th. Be there, will be wild!”

The way Trump crafted this tweet is representative of how he rescripted things to tell his own story. He took something already in the discussion, Navarro’s report, and used it in a way that shaped the logic for the “stop the steal” campaign.

Trump didn’t have to invent #StopTheSteal – just include it in his existing narrative structure. Other politicians, including Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, have adopted Trump’s general structure for their own tweets.

However, the final tweet from his account before it was closed does not really fit any of his common themes. It is also one of the few times it seems like the tweet is telling a more traditional story. “To all of those who have asked, I will not be going to the Inauguration on January 20th” is a pretty understated ending to an epic tale
          _________

How the cult leader commands the loyalty of the cult. The names change, but the methods stay the same.

God this makes me just want to vomit in disgust at how easily intelligent people were taken in by such an obvious fraud....and are still in his thrall.
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
            How the cult leader commands the loyalty of the cult. The names change, but the methods stay the same.

God this makes me just want to vomit in disgust at how easily intelligent people were taken in by such an obvious fraud....and are still in his thrall.
            If they were taken in by him then can they really be that intelligent to begin with?

During this pandemic I look around and it seems almost half of Americans seem too clueless to either realize what is going one way or the other. I'd like to see their reaction if this virus was say fatal in 1 out of 10 at any age.

Comment

• Jenna Ryan, a Texas real-estate agent charged in the Capitol insurrection, says she 'bought into a lie' and regrets 'everything'

Jenna Ryan, a Texas real-estate agent who infamously took a private jet to Washington, DC, to attend what turned into the riot at the US Capitol and who has since been criminally charged over the insurrection, now says she is embarrassed by her actions and regrets "everything."

On January 15, Ryan was arrested and charged with two federal misdemeanor counts of knowingly entering or remaining in a restricted government building without lawful authority and disorderly conduct.

Ryan told The Washington Post she felt abandoned by the group of "patriots" who she said she came to the nation's capital to support.

"I bought into a lie, and the lie is the lie, and it's embarrassing," she said. "I regret everything."

As the FBI outlined in an affidavit, Ryan's participation in the riot was well documented on social media. Video footage from the event showed Ryan in the crowd that breached the Capitol wearing a "Trump" beanie hat. She also promoted her real-estate business, with her full name, to one of the many cameras rolling at the event.

Ryan also posed for a photo next to a broken window at the Capitol with a peace hand signal, according to the affidavit, captioning the photo on Twitter: "window at The capital. And if the news doesn't stop lying about us we're going to come after their studios next."

After the attack, she also bragged on Twitter: "We just stormed the Capital. It was one of the best days of my life."

Ryan told The Post that she didn't come to Washington, DC, to storm the Capitol but got swept up in the action when her group saw then-President Donald Trump on TV at their hotel telling his supporters to "fight like hell." Trump is now facing his second Senate impeachment trial on a charge of inciting the January 6 insurrection.

Two other people who rode on the same private jet with Ryan were charged on February 5.

Through an analysis of court records and public documents, The Post found that that almost 60% of those charged so far - for whom there is publicly available financial information - had experienced financial difficulties, including bankruptcies, foreclosures, unpaid taxes, and significant debt.

The Post said Ryan was among the suspects who had experienced "financial problems" and fell down a rabbit hole of right-wing media and the QAnon conspiracy theory.

Ryan, who lives in Frisco, Texas, and practices real estate in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, was also barred from PayPal after she attempted to raise funds for her legal defense on the platform.

She was also one of the many suspects in the Capitol riot who were disappointed when Trump declined to pardon anyone charged in the insurrection.

"Not one patriot is standing up for me," Ryan told The Post. "I'm a complete villain. I was down there based on what my president said: 'Stop the steal.' Now I see that it was all over nothing. He was just having us down there for an ego boost. I was there for him."

More crocodile tears now that she's facing the consequences of her actions, now that she's been yanked out of the fantasyland that Trump has been filling their heads with for the past 4+ years.

Fuck you and every last one of those deranged Trumpist lunatics that entered the Capitol Building. I hope to god that the judge and jury don't show one ounce of pity or leniency toward any of them. Not one goddamn bit.

Comment

• Leaked Video Shows Alex Jones Ranting That He's So 'F**king' Sick Of Trump

Conspiracy theorist and far-right talk radio host Alex Jones, who has promoted Donald Trump to his audience extensively for years, is heard in a newly leaked video expressing disgust at the former president in 2019.

“It’s the truth, and I’m just going to say it. That I wish I never would have fucking met Trump,” Jones says in the footage. “I wish it never would have happened. And it’s not the attacks I’ve been through. I’m so sick of fucking Donald Trump, man. God, I’m fucking sick of him. And I’m not doing this because, like, I’m kissing his fucking ass, you know. It’s, like, I’m sick of it.”

Filmmaker Caolan Robertson, who shot a propaganda film called “You Can’t Watch This” with the Infowars host, leaked the footage to the Southern Poverty Law Center’s Hatewatch initiative, which monitors far-right extremism in the U.S.

Robertson told Hatewatch that Jones asked him to discard the footage, which he said was shot in January 2019 in Austin, Texas. He provided text messages between him and Jones corroborating his account.

Robertson shared the footage to expose how Jones is exploiting Trump’s supporters and his audience, he told the group. During that same shoot, he recalled, Jones bragged about making tens of millions of dollars in 2018 and mocked his audience, claiming they would “buy anything.”

“Alex Jones doesn’t care about most of the stuff he professes to,” Robertson told Hatewatch. “It just shows he doesn’t care about anything he talks about. He doesn’t like Trump, but then goes on camera talking about how Trump is the savior.”

Indeed, Jones has filled his pockets by spreading fear and conspiracy theories, and by selling products that capitalize on them. He has publicly been a fervent supporter of Trump, whom he interviewed in 2015, throughout the course of his campaigns and presidency. In 2018, when Jones was banned from Twitter, Trump showed implicit support for him as he railed against the silencing of conservative voices. Jones claimed at the time that he was advising the president.

On Jan. 6, Jones hyped up the crowd at Trump’s “March to Save America” rally in Washington, D.C., before attendees went on to stage a deadly insurrection on the U.S. Capitol. The FBI and Justice Department are investigating whether Jones and other right-wing figures may have played a role in inspiring the riot, according to The Washington Post.

Robertson, who has worked closely with many far-right provocateurs, went viral himself in 2017 after he was filmed giving a racist and vitriolic speech following the Westminster Bridge terrorist attack in London. He has since tried to rehabilitate his image. He told Hatewatch he is working to undo the damage he did while working with extremists like Jones.

Infowars did not immediately respond to HuffPost’s request for comment.

_________

You speak for all us Alex. But we're also so sick of you too, so there's that...

Comment

• MAGA Mom Whose Son Stormed Capitol Feels 'Stupid' For Buying Trump's Voter Fraud Lies

The mother of Bruno Cua ― a Georgia 18-year-old who stormed the U.S. Capitol, pushed a cop and entered the Senate chamber with a baton after traveling to D.C. with his parents for Donald Trump’s rally ― told a federal judge Wednesday she felt “stupid” for buying into the former president’s lies about mass voter fraud.

Alise Cua and her husband, Joseph Cua, took their teenage son to D.C. for the “Stop the Steal” rally, in which the then-president and his allies attempted to pressure lawmakers to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election based on false conspiracy theories about mass voter fraud. Afterward, the family members made their way to the Capitol and unlawfully entered restricted grounds. The younger Cua made his way inside and shoved an officer to get into the Senate chamber.

Since her son was arrested, Alise Cua testified during a hearing before a federal judge in D.C. on Wednesday, she had spent time “feeling, quite frankly, just stupid for believing what I believed.”

“I really should’ve known better,” she said, adding that she and her son felt “ridiculous” for believing the former president’s lies about voter fraud.

Bruno Cua, who is currently detained in Oklahoma on his way to D.C., has been in government custody since last month, when a federal judge in his home state of Georgia ruled that his parents were inappropriate guardians and that Cua should be held until trial. Joseph Cua had testified during a hearing in Georgia ― a day before Republican senators voter to acquit Trump at his impeachment trial ― that he was “embarrassed” that he and his family bought into the conspiracy theories about a stolen election.

Alise Cua testified on Wednesday that she was similarly embarrassed by her belief that the election was stolen from Trump, who lost the popular vote by 7 million votes and the Electoral College vote by a wide margin.

“I am asking for just mercy and forgiveness,” Alise Cua told the court. “We are prepared to do absolutely anything the court wants.”

Alise Cua’s voice broke up as she begged a federal judge to send her son home until his trial.

“We are completely broken and just honestly and truly remorseful to the core of our beings, and we’re asking for a chance,” Alise Cua testified.

U.S. District Judge Randolph Moss said he would further review evidence in the case and didn’t immediately rule on whether Bruno Cua would remain detained ahead of his trial.

Bruno Cua’s attorneys ― Jonathan Jeffress and William Zapf ― argued in an emergency motion that Trump had given his supporters “an illegal and impossible task ― to stop Congress from certifying the election results.” They wrote that Trump and his surrogates “repeatedly sowed the seeds of distrust in the democratic institutions of this country, claiming that the presidential election had been stolen from him.”

Bruno Cua, his lawyers wrote, was a “sheltered and vulnerable teenager whose view of the outside world largely revolved around social media.”

The government argued that Bruno Cua should be detained until his trial given his rhetoric and his lack of remorse even after the Capitol attack, when he continued using violent rhetoric about taking over the government by force.

“The tree of liberty often has to be watered from the blood of tyrants. And the tree is thirsty,” he wrote on Jan. 7 under the Parler name @PatriotBruno. “WE THE PEOPLE have a right to rise up and overthrow a tyrannical government.” He wrote in another post that there “will be no ‘warning shot’” the next time the people rose up. And he wrote on Jan. 8 that everyone in Congress “is a traitor to the people and deserves a public execution.”

“This case is not like others,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Kimberly Paschall told the court Wednesday. “The government has now brought approximately 300 cases before the district court. This one is one of the most terrifying.”

Paschall said there were few defendants who laid out so clearly ― as Bruno Cua did in multiple social media posts on Parler ― what would happen in D.C. on Jan. 6.

“There are few other defendants who have stated their intentions so clearly and so knowingly on social media before showing up on Jan. 6,” Paschall argued. “He knew exactly what was going to happen when the rest of us did not.”

Paschall pointed to one post in which Bruno Cua warned others not to bring firearms to D.C. because of the city’s gun laws. She said that Cua’s parents were “inappropriate” guardians given their knowledge of his behavior.

“His parents were fully aware that he was in possession of a weapon, fully aware that he was inside the building, fully aware that there was an altercation with a plainclothes officer, and they did nothing about it,” Paschall said. “They did nothing.”

No mercy. None. This little shit stain, by his own words, is a psychopath. Let him spend some time in jail getting acquainted with reality.

Comment

• Self-styled evangelical prophet Jeremiah Johnson apologizes for predicting Trump's re-election and says he's dismantling his ministry

Self-described prophet Jeremiah Johnson has publicly apologized for saying that Trump would be re-elected president in 2020.

The prominent evangelical leader announced in a now-deleted open letter to his Facebook followers that he was shutting down his ministry, "Jeremiah Johnson Ministries," and that he would be removing all the ministry's social media handles over the next week.

In a YouTube video titled "I Was Wrong," Johnson apologized for his inaccurate predictions and for his repeated claims that Trump would be re-elected against all odds.

"I believe that it is a tremendous mistake to take the next four years to argue and debate and cause division and grow more prideful talking about how we think the election was taken from Donald Trump. I actually believe we need to take the next four years and humble ourselves," he said in the video.

Johnson said as well in the video that fellow evangelical Christians "need to recognize that God is up to something far greater in the prophetic, charismatic movement."

"We need to stop, we need to take a breather, and we need to come back to a place where we can begin to dialogue about these issues rather than be so triggered," he said.

Johnson's change of heart is surprising, as he used to be one of the former president's staunchest supporters. In 2015, he predicted that Trump would win, as he had been "chosen" by God. He did so again in 2020.

According to Newsweek, Johnson said he had made this decision "after much prayer and the clear direction of the Lord."

In doing so, Johnson has broken with other evangelical leaders, some of whom still claim that there will be a miraculous reversal of the 2020 Biden presidential win.

According to a Politico article, televangelists like California Pentecostal pastor Johnny Enlow still claim that the "January 2020 inauguration date doesn't really mean anything." Enlow goes on to say in a YouTube video that more than 100 "credible" Christian prophets were continuing to back Trump, prophesying his return to power.

Enlow is among many charismatic, prophetic Christians who also believe deeply that Trump is still president or will ascend to power again, The Washington Post reported.

According to the Religion News Service, Johnson will be starting a new ministry called "The Altar Global." As part of this new ministry, Johnson will no longer offer "prophetic commentary" but will instead help prepare the world for the "end times."

The ministry's website says that The Altar Global will "prepare the Bride of Christ for the return of our glorious Bridegroom King Jesus," doing so through a one-year intensive program in North Carolina, as well as through local and national conferences.

Time to move on to the next scam and the next batch of a easy marks and suckers. The rest of them are just doubling down on the lies.

Comment

• I’m relieved he’s moving on to focus on helping people prepare for the end times instead.

Comment

• Credible...Christian...Prophet... all linked together in the same sentence?

I'd say Jesus Christ just to piss off all those so called credible christian prophets.

Comment

• Sidney Powell argues in new court filing that no reasonable people would believe her election fraud claims.
                          CNN March 23, 2021
                          https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/22/polit...aud/index.html

Right-wing lawyer Sidney Powell is claiming in a new court filing that reasonable people wouldn't have believed as fact her assertions of fraud after the 2020 presidential election.
                          The election infrastructure company Dominion Voting Systems sued Powell for defamation after she pushed lawsuits and made appearances in conservative media on behalf of then-President Donald Trump to sow doubt about the 2020 election results. Dominion claims that Powell knew her election fraud accusations were false and hurtful to the company.

In a new court filing, Powell's attorneys write that she was sharing her "opinion" and that the public could reach "their own conclusions" about whether votes were changed by election machines.

"Given the highly charged and political context of the statements, it is clear that Powell was describing the facts on which she based the lawsuits she filed in support of President Trump," Powell's defense lawyers wrote in a court filing on Monday.

"Indeed, Plaintiffs themselves characterize the statements at issue as 'wild accusations' and 'outlandish claims.' They are repeatedly labelled 'inherently improbable' and even 'impossible.' Such characterizations of the allegedly defamatory statements further support Defendants' position that reasonable people would not accept such statements as fact but view them only as claims that await testing by the courts through the adversary process."

Election authorities and Dominion have resoundingly called Trump's loss in the election accurate and untainted by any possible major security risks. Trump's lawyers and his allies quickly lost or dropped all but one minor case out of nearly 60 following the election, as the then-President sought to overturn Joe Biden's win in multiple key states.
                          Rep. Peter Meijer of Michigan, one of the Republicans who voted to impeach Trump in January after the January 6 Capitol attack, tweeted that Powell's argument is "pathetic."

"Absolutely infuriating. GOP lost the Senate & 5 ppl died in attack on the Capitol in part bc Sidney Powell misled millions claiming stolen elections. Now Powell backtracks saying "no reasonable person" wld believe what she *ALLEGED IN COURT* were "statements of fact"!?! Pathetic."

Though the Trump campaign had sought to distance itself from Powell after she held a conspiracy-filled news conference with his other attorneys, Trump had told people he liked Powell's arguments and wanted to see more of her on television.

In one chaotic Oval Office meeting in December, Trump said he had considered naming her as a special counsel to investigate voter fraud allegations.

Besides Powell, the meeting included her client, former Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn, two people familiar with the matter previously told CNN, describing a session that began as an impromptu gathering but devolved and eventually broke out into screaming matches at certain points, as some of Trump's aides pushed back on Powell and Flynn's more outrageous suggestions to overturn the election.

The following day, Trump's campaign legal team sent a memo to dozens of staffers instructing them to preserve all documents related to Dominion Voting Systems and Powell, in anticipation of litigation by the company.

The lawsuit -- filed in January -- outlined Powell's TV appearances and online posts in extraordinary detail, including when she repeated her unfounded beliefs that Dominion was linked to communist Venezuela and Georgia officials were in on election fraud.

"Emboldened by Trump's endorsement of her false accusations, which launched her into political superstardom, Powell's defamatory media campaign continued and intensified" with her media appearances, Dominion alleged in its lawsuit.

A former federal prosecutor based in Texas, Powell rose to prominence through her criticism of the Robert Mueller investigation and her promotion of right-wing conspiracy theories about a range of topics on social media.

Powell also claims in court that her statements about the 2020 election were a "matter of public concern" about a publicly known company, Dominion, and thus protected speech.

Her attorneys also claim she had a right to make accusations because she was acting as an attorney for the Trump campaign, even during her right-wing TV appearances. As a result, Powell is asking a judge in Washington, DC, to dismiss the case, or to allow it to be moved to the federal court in Texas.

Trust me?
                          I'm an economist!

Comment

• Well, at least she is finally telling the truth for a change.
                            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                              Well, at least she is finally telling the truth for a change.
                              She should be hit with a class action law suit, her law license pulled and be disbarred in every state where she is a member.
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• I've moved the posts about the Nazis, Russians and Western Democracy to a new thread called The Nazis, Russians and Western Democracy

Comment

Working...
                                X