The US 2020 Presidential Election & Attempts To Overturn It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• snapper,

For let us not forget the basic aim of discrediting and defeating Trump is the longer term reform/rehabilitation of a US political Opposition. Only then can US democracy function again properly; when the basics facts are agreed as opposed to insane distortions of Trumpian Peter Pan world.
    I fear you are mistaking the symptom for the problem.

the reason why Trump crushed his Republican primary competitors in 2016, despite him being a Democrat as recently as 2009, was because he understood far better than his opponents that the GOP as a party fundamentally does not want to hear the truth.

following double losses to Obama, Party elders drafted a document outlining the basic reasons why Republicans were so unpopular, and what the GOP could do to reverse unfavorable long-term trends.

Trump won because he systematically took the opposite tack to just about every single recommendation, and that proved hugely popular with the GOP base.

this remains the case following his election. if anything, it has grown even worse now. John McCain and Mitt Romney went from being leaders of their Party to a veritable swear word inside the GOP.

a crushing Trump loss in November will further accentuate this, because the GOP politicians whom are likely going to be defeated are in the swing states -- and they were already the types whom were NOT completely onboard the Trump train to begin with.

the remaining deep red GOP politicians and states will almost certainly lean in, hard, on insane conspiracy theories about why their savior Trump went down in defeat.

bottom-line: the basic aim of discrediting and defeating Trump is to prevent the complete degradation of democratic principles. while Trump's defeat is a necessary pre-condition to the reform of the GOP, by itself it will certainly not be sufficient.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
      Bloomberg extends a form of Democrat outreach by paying their fines and other payments in Florida so that the Felons may be able to vote.
      https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rida-vote.html
      And that, people, is how to defeat the ugly, unAmerican effort to suppress the vote.
      Trust me?
      I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
        Not personally a great Kamala Harris fan; 'feisty' etc may be valuable campaigning/debating talents but hopefully Biden will last one term and the GOP (or some new Party) will return US politics toward a truth based choice. For let us not forget the basic aim of discrediting and defeating Trump is the longer term reform/rehabilitation of a US political Opposition. Only then can US democracy function again properly; when the basics facts are agreed as opposed to insane distortions of Trumpian Peter Pan world.
        I don't think so as I don't know if there are that many reasonable Republicans left that can reflect with some sense. That being the case they are more likely to go with someone like Tom Cotton, in 2024, who is simply a more polished and less abrasive version of Trump but still Trumpian.

Comment

• The Trump campaign is reportedly 'discussing contingency plans to bypass election results'

President Trump's campaign is discussing "contingency plans" that would involve bypassing the result of November's election, reports The Atlantic.

The report delves into possible scenarios if Trump apparently loses the 2020 presidential election but doesn't concede, noting that although we're used to electors being selected based on the popular vote, "nothing in the Constitution says it has to be that way." Citing Republican Party sources, The Atlantic says that Trump's campaign is "discussing contingency plans to bypass election results and appoint loyal electors in battleground states where Republicans hold the legislative majority."

The campaign would reportedly assert that this step was necessary due to claims of supposed voter fraud, which experts have noted is extraordinarily rare, ahead of the "safe harbor" deadline to appoint 538 electors on Dec. 8.

"Trump would ask state legislators to set aside the popular vote and exercise their power to choose a slate of electors directly," The Atlantic reports. "The longer Trump succeeds in keeping the vote count in doubt, the more pressure legislators will feel to act before the safe-harbor deadline expires."

A Trump campaign legal adviser who spoke to The Atlantic said that in this scenario, "the state legislatures will say, 'All right, we've been given this constitutional power. We don't think the results of our own state are accurate, so here's our slate of electors that we think properly reflect the results of our state." Lawrence Tabas, chair of the Pennsylvania Republican Party, also told The Atlantic he has discussed the direct appointment of electors with the Trump campaign, saying, "I've mentioned it to them, and I hope they're thinking about it too." The Trump campaign said it is "fighting for a free and fair election."

This potential scenario is just one part of the broader piece in which experts warn "conditions are ripe for a constitutional crisis."

“Ladies and gentlemen, I want to make a major announcement today. I would like to promise and pledge to all of my voters and supporters, and to all the people of the United States, that I will totally accept the results of this great and historic presidential election.”

“If … I … win!”

Donald Trump - Delaware, OH - October 20, 2016
          “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
            The Trump campaign is reportedly 'discussing contingency plans to bypass election results'

President Trump's campaign is discussing "contingency plans" that would involve bypassing the result of November's election, reports The Atlantic.

The report delves into possible scenarios if Trump apparently loses the 2020 presidential election but doesn't concede, noting that although we're used to electors being selected based on the popular vote, "nothing in the Constitution says it has to be that way." Citing Republican Party sources, The Atlantic says that Trump's campaign is "discussing contingency plans to bypass election results and appoint loyal electors in battleground states where Republicans hold the legislative majority."

The campaign would reportedly assert that this step was necessary due to claims of supposed voter fraud, which experts have noted is extraordinarily rare, ahead of the "safe harbor" deadline to appoint 538 electors on Dec. 8.

"Trump would ask state legislators to set aside the popular vote and exercise their power to choose a slate of electors directly," The Atlantic reports. "The longer Trump succeeds in keeping the vote count in doubt, the more pressure legislators will feel to act before the safe-harbor deadline expires."

A Trump campaign legal adviser who spoke to The Atlantic said that in this scenario, "the state legislatures will say, 'All right, we've been given this constitutional power. We don't think the results of our own state are accurate, so here's our slate of electors that we think properly reflect the results of our state." Lawrence Tabas, chair of the Pennsylvania Republican Party, also told The Atlantic he has discussed the direct appointment of electors with the Trump campaign, saying, "I've mentioned it to them, and I hope they're thinking about it too." The Trump campaign said it is "fighting for a free and fair election."

This potential scenario is just one part of the broader piece in which experts warn "conditions are ripe for a constitutional crisis."

“Ladies and gentlemen, I want to make a major announcement today. I would like to promise and pledge to all of my voters and supporters, and to all the people of the United States, that I will totally accept the results of this great and historic presidential election.”

“If … I … win!”

So we have the first American President actually discussing how to seize power, under the disquise of the Constitution, if the results don't satisfy him. A new low for this country and his base will have no problem with it. What did I say about at least 1/3+ of this country willing supporting a you know what as he inches his way there ever so slowly...

Comment

• Trump on peaceful transition if he loses: 'Get rid of the ballots' and 'there won't be a transfer'

President Donald Trump was asked Wednesday whether he will commit to a peaceful transfer of power should he lose this fall to Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden. The president declined to do so.

"Well, we’re going to have to see what happens," Trump said. "You know that I’ve been complaining very strongly about the ballots and the ballots are a disaster."

Pressed further, Trump said: "We’ll want to have — get rid of the ballots and you’ll have a very — we’ll have a very peaceful — there won’t be a transfer frankly, there’ll be a continuation."

When asked by Fox News' Chris Wallace in June whether he would accept election results, Trump said he would "have to see" and claimed that mail-in voting will “rig the election.”

Trump has repeatedly assailed mail-in voting as widely fraudulent though he and his campaign have released no evidence proving such. Despite the fact that the president and first lady Melania Trump have voted by mail and that his campaign and Republicans have encouraged voters in key swing states to request ballots, his campaign is suing multiple states over mail-in voting rules.

Earlier Wednesday, Trump said he wanted to have the next Supreme Court justice confirmed ahead of the election so that the high court could rule on the contest.

“I think this will end up in the Supreme Court and I think it’s very important that we have nine justices, and I think the system’s going to go very quickly,” Trump said at the White House Wednesday, adding that "having a 4-4 situation is not a good situation."

He just came right out and said it. No shame whatsoever.

Is this that Law and Order you were talking about surfgun ?
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

{{{ snippet excerpted from quoted news article: }}}

Earlier Wednesday, Trump said he wanted to have the next Supreme Court justice confirmed ahead of the election so that the high court could rule on the contest.

“I think this will end up in the Supreme Court and I think it’s very important that we have nine justices, and I think the system’s going to go very quickly,” Trump said at the White House Wednesday, adding that "having a 4-4 situation is not a good situation."

Originally posted by Bloomberg_Quicktake

Trump: 2020 Election Will 'End Up In the Supreme Court'

Published on Sep 23, 2020

President Donald Trump predicted Wednesday that the 2020 presidential election "will end up in the Supreme Court." And he suggested that is one of the reasons he is pushing so strongly to fill the seat vacated by the death of Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg before the nation votes Nov. 3. Speaking to reporters in the Cabinet Room, Trump complained again about mail-in voting, calling it a Democratic "scam," and saying the "scam" will end up requiring a Supreme Court decision. "And I think having a four four situation is not a good situation," he said, referring to an evenly split court. "Just in case it would be more political than it should be, I think it's very important to have a ninth justice," Trump said. The president said as soon as he puts forward his nomination this Saturday, the process will move "very quickly." Trump was also asked about the Kentucky grand jury ruling which brought no charges against Louisville police for the killing of Breonna Taylor during a drug raid gone wrong. Prosecutors said Wednesday that two officers who fired their weapons at the Black woman were justified in using force to protect themselves. Trump said he hadn't seen the decision yet so he will have a comment later in the day. But he said he loves the black community and claimed anew that he has "done more for the black community than any other president...with the possible exception of Abraham Lincoln."

Last edited by JRT; 24 Sep 20,, 14:40.

Comment

The Trump campaign is reportedly 'discussing contingency plans to bypass election results'

“If … I … win!”

This is how the Weimar Republic ended
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

• Trump claims Fox anchor Chris Wallace won't ask Biden 'tough questions' at debate

“He will be controlled by the radical left.”

President Trump on Thursday said he doubted that Chris Wallace would ask Democratic nominee Joe Biden difficult questions during next week’s presidential debate, asserting that the Fox News host is “controlled by the radical left” and that the debate would be “unfair.”

Trump made the comments in an interview on Fox News Radio with host Brian Kilmeade, who swiftly pushed back on the president's claim that Wallace, a veteran anchor and journalist known for his tough questioning, is beholden to Democratic interests.

“Chris is good, but I would be willing to bet that he won’t ask Biden tough questions. He will ask tough questions of me and it will be unfair, I have no doubt about it,” Trump said. “He will be controlled by the radical left.”

Trump noted that he has “a lot of respect” for Wallace and had a good relationship with the journalist's father, Mike Wallace.

“Mr. President, I will tell you for sure, he is not controlled by anyone,” Kilmeade countered.

“We’ll see. Then, he’s got to ask tough questions of Biden,”
                    Trump said. The president went on to complain about ABC News’s handling of the 2016 presidential debate, claiming that the network grilled him while asking then-Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton “little powder puff questions.”

Wallace will moderate the first presidential debate in Cleveland on Tuesday. A list of topics he released this week includes Trump and Biden’s records, the novel coronavirus, the Supreme Court, the economy, race and violence in U.S. cities, and the integrity of the election.

Trump’s remarks on Thursday appeared aimed at lowering expectations for himself during the debate, after he and his campaign have for months sought to paint Biden as confused and mentally unfit to serve as president.

Kilmeade repeatedly asked Trump whether he has an advantage over Biden going into the debate because he sat down with Wallace for an hour-long interview on “Fox News Sunday” in July. But Trump insisted it is Biden who has the advantage, citing his decades of experience in Washington politics.

“No, I think I am the one without experience. I have just been doing this for a few years. He has been doing this for 47 years plus. I mean, he has a tremendous advantageous really, if you think about it, but I have a much better record than he does,” Trump said.
                    _________

Suddenly "Sleepy Joe" has a "tremendous advantage" and Chris Wallace is "controlled by the radical left".

Ladies and Gentlemen, this is what a desperate scared shitless lunatic sounds like.

I can't say this enough: Time Is Not On This Man's Side.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post

This is how the Weimar Republic ended
                      Dangerous waters. I fully expect him to protest the election and try to take it to the Supreme Court. Taking things to court has been his MO all his life. He is not about to change.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post

Dangerous waters. I fully expect him to protest the election and try to take it to the Supreme Court. Taking things to court has been his MO all his life. He is not about to change.
                        Agreed 100 percent. The only way that his attempt to overturn the election can be blunted (not stopped) is by a Nov 3rd landslide that even the Republicans won't be able to ignore.

Comment

• I find people calling a Trump win since last month. If this Yiwu index is anything to go by

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                            snapper,

I fear you are mistaking the symptom for the problem.

the reason why Trump crushed his Republican primary competitors in 2016, despite him being a Democrat as recently as 2009, was because he understood far better than his opponents that the GOP as a party fundamentally does not want to hear the truth.

following double losses to Obama, Party elders drafted a document outlining the basic reasons why Republicans were so unpopular, and what the GOP could do to reverse unfavorable long-term trends.

Trump won because he systematically took the opposite tack to just about every single recommendation, and that proved hugely popular with the GOP base.

this remains the case following his election. if anything, it has grown even worse now. John McCain and Mitt Romney went from being leaders of their Party to a veritable swear word inside the GOP.

a crushing Trump loss in November will further accentuate this, because the GOP politicians whom are likely going to be defeated are in the swing states -- and they were already the types whom were NOT completely onboard the Trump train to begin with.

the remaining deep red GOP politicians and states will almost certainly lean in, hard, on insane conspiracy theories about why their savior Trump went down in defeat.

bottom-line: the basic aim of discrediting and defeating Trump is to prevent the complete degradation of democratic principles. while Trump's defeat is a necessary pre-condition to the reform of the GOP, by itself it will certainly not be sufficient.
                            Yes thank you. This is where trump derangement blinds people.

I would suggest corporate donor influence is also critically damaging, both democrat and republican, and has been left to fester and helped bring you trump. Ironically right now however you have more pressing issues of dealing with the cancer, not its causes.

If i was american I would be wishing forward the day texas flips, the republicans want to get rid of the electoral college and the incentive structure changes so they will have no choice to realign as the democrats leak left they can push back towards the middle. It will be a more useful conversation even if no less contested.

Comment

• Tantalus,

What do you mean by this response to Astralis?

Yes thank you. This is where trump derangement blinds people.

Are you implying anyone who opposes with President Trump and his Administration suffers from TDS?
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• my reading of Tantalus' post is that hatred of Trump blinds people to the deeper problems with American politics.

if that's the case, it's a fair point-- it's basically the crux of my response to snapper. but, thankfully, I don't think it's actually a widespread problem. most people who hate Trump also realize that the problem goes much deeper than Trump.
                                Last edited by astralis; 24 Sep 20,, 20:24.
                                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X