The US 2020 Presidential Election & Attempts To Overturn It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
    Welp, blaming the polls is one way to run a campaign, I suppose.
    Utterly predictable though. The man is a narcissistic sociopath. Blaming anything and everything is written into his very being.

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
    Honestly Trump has no one to blame but himself at this point. The media is absolute shit but there are enough independents and the Democrats are insane enough that any competent GOP candidate should cakewalk this election. GOP's only real hope at this point is that Trump resigns or becomes too ill to run. Though I doubt Mike Pence is popular enough to undo the damage. Maybe Romney.
    We'll see. There's still plenty of time for his numbers to yo-yo back and forth until the Election.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post

Once the police returned, there was peace between the two groups. Just as we did in OPERATION DELIBERATE FORCE.
      Actually after the riots the two groups sat down, and discussed their misunderstandings over each of their cultural traits, they came to the conclusion that they really had much in common. One of those things in common was that the police wouldn't really do either of them any favors. Koreans coming in circa 1995 really didn't understand what they were getting into when it came to a multi-cultural society as their experience was the total opposite. Up until the riots Koreans identified themselves as Korean and not Korean-American. They also learned that pitting one minority group against another minority group, something those in power always do, was a total antithesis to what they really needed to do.

Unfortunately for you, the animosity between your two groups went back centuries ( someone may jump in and tell us exactly) and there was no way to overcome that. I suspect they would still fight at the right provocation. In Compton it was only 27 years long and they worked together after. Today many Koreans have moved out of South Central to be replaced by South East Asians and Arab Americans meaning the process has to start all over again. Continual live, talk and learn certainly beats live and fight.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        Actually after the riots the two groups sat down, and discussed their misunderstandings over each of their cultural traits, they came to the conclusion that they really had much in common.
        Misunderstanding? You're putting way too much thought into this. There was one and only one reason why the looters went after the Koreans. They were easy ... until the Koreans started shooting back. When the Koreans started shooting back, the looters went elsewhere. And to be frank, if Black businesses were easy (and some were), they would be looted as well (and some were). The Koreans were merely targets-of-oppertunity. Nothing more.

Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
        One of those things in common was that the police wouldn't really do either of them any favors.
        The police were outmanned, out-positioned, out-manuvered, out-stretched, and as a result, out-gunned in a lot of places. The prudent thing was to fall back, regroup, re-assess, and then to recommit ... and the safe areas happenned to be ... white neighbourhoods. I'm sure you can guess why.

Koreans coming in circa 1995 really didn't understand what they were getting into when it came to a multi-cultural society as their experience was the total opposite. Up until the riots Koreans identified themselves as Korean and not Korean-American. They also learned that pitting one minority group against another minority group, something those in power always do, was a total antithesis to what they really needed to do.
        You make it sound like the police planned all this. The police most certainly did not plan to pit the Koreans against the Blacks. They were pushed out and no one, not the police, not the Koreans, not the Blacks expected such a clash.

Unfortunately for you, the animosity between your two groups went back centuries ( someone may jump in and tell us exactly) and there was no way to overcome that. I suspect they would still fight at the right provocation. In Compton it was only 27 years long and they worked together after. Today many Koreans have moved out of South Central to be replaced by South East Asians and Arab Americans meaning the process has to start all over again. Continual live, talk and learn certainly beats live and fight.
        White Americans (ALTRIGHT) could not get along with other White Americans (ANTIFA), you're expecting way too much. The best is a good police force (whatever that means) that ALLOWS everyone to talk but FORBIDS anyone to fight.
        Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
          Utterly predictable though. The man is a narcissistic sociopath. Blaming anything and everything is written into his very being.

We'll see. There's still plenty of time for his numbers to yo-yo back and forth until the Election.
          Yo-yo, yeah, but there's a snowball chance in hell Trump wins this one unless Biden basically dies, and even then his bloated corpse might be able to run neck-and-neck. Right now Biden has a double-digit lead, and is specifically doing well in older voters and suburban women. There's an enthusiasm gap, but not enough to overcome a 10 point deficit, and Trump hasn't even come close.

By this point in 2016, there were times when Trump was pretty close to Hillary, and after the RNC I think Trump was actually leading.

I honestly have no idea why betting markets still have Trump so high. The only reasonable explanation is that they think Trump will launch a succesful coup.
          "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Yo-yo, yeah, but there's a snowball chance in hell Trump wins this one unless Biden basically dies, and even then his bloated corpse might be able to run neck-and-neck. Right now Biden has a double-digit lead, and is specifically doing well in older voters and suburban women. There's an enthusiasm gap, but not enough to overcome a 10 point deficit, and Trump hasn't even come close.

By this point in 2016, there were times when Trump was pretty close to Hillary, and after the RNC I think Trump was actually leading.

I honestly have no idea why betting markets still have Trump so high. The only reasonable explanation is that they think Trump will launch a succesful coup.
            Trump has not lost any of his base, although he is doing his damndest to lose people in the center. And the Dems haven't distanced themselves from the extreme woke left twitter mobs and entitled brats like the ones who are ruling over the autonomous zone in Seattle. Some people will look at that and think the Dems are as scary or scarier than Trump. It remains to be seen who wins the fight to lose more voters to the other side, if that makes sense.

Comment

All depends on voter turnout. Georgia's primary was an utter shit show. Duplicate that, juuuuust enough, in November, and Trump gets another term.

After 2016 and the past 4 years, I'm not counting on anything, really. If the aliens from Independence Day showed up in October, I'd probably shrug and mutter "Figures".

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
              Because of the durability of his base, the relative weakness of Biden as a candidate, and the truckload of unknowns about the Election (voter suppression, foreign interference etc)
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

The police were outmanned, out-positioned, out-manuvered, out-stretched, and as a result, out-gunned in a lot of places. The prudent thing was to fall back, regroup, re-assess, and then to recommit ... and the safe areas happenned to be ... white neighbourhoods. I'm sure you can guess why.
                On Day 1, after the verdict, the police started to set their lines up already and the Koreans owners saw where it was, at the outer border of the white community, so they knew then.

You make it sound like the police planned all this. The police most certainly did not plan to pit the Koreans against the Blacks. They were pushed out and no one, not the police, not the Koreans, not the Blacks expected such a clash.
                Misunderstand me as powers doesn't refer to the police in my sentence.

White Americans (ALTRIGHT) could not get along with other White Americans (ANTIFA), you're expecting way too much. The best is a good police force (whatever that means) that ALLOWS everyone to talk but FORBIDS anyone to fight.
                Here you loose me since am dealing with Koreans getting along with Blacks.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                  On Day 1, after the verdict, the police started to set their lines up already and the Koreans owners saw where it was, at the outer border of the white community, so they knew then.
                  All the police line tells me is where the police expects where the focus of violence to be. No one knew how bad or how good the other areas would be.

Misunderstand me as powers doesn't refer to the police in my sentence.
                  I don't recall the location of Koreatown was forced on the Koreans.

Here you loose me since am dealing with Koreans getting along with Blacks.
                  The point is that you cannot get people who looked alike to get along (Whites), you're going to have a much harder time with people who looks different and act different from each other. Sure they can act nice when everything is fine but when crap hits the fan, they will line up against the other regardless what the whites will do.

I've seen grandmothers throwing out their granddaughters just because the granddaughter is half Croat/Serb/Muslim. That same grandmother will hug and kiss each one of us Canadians. I have zero faith that Blacks and Koreans will not shoot at one other ever again like they did at the LA Riots.
                  Chimo

Comment

• I've seen grandmothers throwing out their granddaughters just because the granddaughter is half Croat/Serb/Muslim. That same grandmother will hug and kiss each one of us Canadians. I have zero faith that Blacks and Koreans will not shoot at one other ever again like they did at the LA Riots.
                    I disagree: first, the US isn't the Balkans.

second, times have changed since 1992.
                    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                      I disagree: first, the US isn't the Balkans.
                      Looters are all the same worldwide. Cultural understanding or trusts between communities ain't going to stop them regardless if they're Croat/Serb/Muslim or American urban poor.

Originally posted by astralis View Post
                      second, times have changed since 1992
                      Things have not change that much. Blacks stil feel whites are against them. Take a look on the streets. MLK would have felt right at home. The only probable reason why the Koreans and the Blacks will not shoot at each other in LA again is that the Koreans have moved.
                      Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 11 Jun 20,, 18:09.
                      Chimo

Comment

• Take a look on the streets. MLK would have felt right at home.
                        I agree, he would have.

MLK's goal was for America to achieve her stated ideals, not to carve out a separate Black nation.

it's telling that certain people are choosing to back a historical separatist movement-- and it ain't the protesters.
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

I definetely would not count on it. UNPROFOR did not have legal jurisdiction to hold and try criminals. We have to hand them over to the local police to deal with. You see the problem with that right off the bat. What we did was to hand Serb criminals to Croat police and Croat criminals to Serb police. The only thing we ensure that they would remain alive because we have records ... but it was not a fun time for any of them.
                          I am agreeing with the shut up and do as they say bit of your post when it comes to cops.

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                            complying didn't save George Floyd from being murdered.
                            You live in the US, tell me what you advise instead when dealing with the cops ?

What i said has worked with cops in five countries, including yours.

Not that i ever had any run ins but that is how my interactions with them have been like.

There was this one odd incident in San Fran. Was over for a short trip. Crossed a lane by the side of a building.

So not a main road but a road leading to one. Cop shouts at me from across and says i'm jay walking.

I call him over, make him look up the street and down the street. Any traffic ? no

How am i jaywalking ? according to him i have to walk to the intersection and then cross.

I tell him i'm from NYC and have never been pulled up for this.

He says not to do it again.

This struck me as complete BS but i let it go.
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 11 Jun 20,, 20:10.

Comment

• the point is that just saying "comply and nothing will happen" has been proven categorically false, over and over again.

we expect police to act professionally. putting a knee to a man's neck for almost 9 minutes and asphyxiating him even though he was complying is not professional.

Comment

• And we expect police departments and the broader government to remove officers that behave irresponsibly and charge those that act criminally. Police do not have enough oversight or accountability.

Then again I also have other expectations regarding citizen diligence, politician leadership, and media honesty, and all those are toasted.
                                "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Working...
                                X