No announcement yet.

Gun Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret list being used ot take away constitutional rights, sounds all above board.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...litics/419172/

How Obama's Gun-Control Push Inverted the Politics of the No-Fly List

Democrats, once critics of Bush-era terror policies, have decided they’re a useful tool, while Republicans have rediscovered the importance of due process.

David A. Graham 2:47 PM ET News

It’s a familiar story of the post-September 11 era: Democrats and Republicans are engaged in a partisan fight over the “no-fly” list created after the attacks. One party insists that the nation must take common-sense measures to protect citizens and the homeland. The other party howls that it’s an outrageous violation of due-process rules and part of a slide into lawlessness. All that’s different now is that the dominant voices in the two parties have flipped 180 degrees.

During his Oval Office speech Sunday night, President Obama said: “Congress should act to make sure no one on a no-fly list is able to buy a gun. What could possibly be the argument for allowing a terrorist suspect to buy a semi-automatic weapon? This is a matter of national security.”

Republicans reject that argument. “These are everyday Americans that have nothing to do with terrorism, they wind up on the no-fly list, there’s no due process or any way to get your name removed from it in a timely fashion, and now they’re having their Second Amendment rights being impeded upon,” Senator Marco Rubio, a top Republican presidential candidate, said on Sunday.
    Related Story

Last week, prior to the massacre in San Bernardino, House Republicans blocked debate on the Denying Firearms and Explosives to Dangerous Terrorists Act. On Thursday, the measure failed in the Senate as well. While its sponsors say the bill would prevent those on terror lists from acquiring guns, the law doesn’t specify whether it would bar those on the no-fly list or on several other federal watchlists.

What’s striking about this debate is how closely it mirrors the argument during the George W. Bush administration, when Democrats warned against the excesses of the list and Republicans defended it. The current debate suggests the extent to which the leading voices in the parties are willing to rearrange their positions around hot-button issues like gun rights, and shows how civil liberties tend to be treated as a tactical tool, exalted when they’re politically useful and forgotten when that’s more expedient.

Before September 11, the government did maintain a list of people who were not permitted to get on planes—16 of them, according to 60 Minutes. The list quickly grew after the attacks, though the government doesn’t report exact figures, making it tough to tell where things stand at any given moment. By 2006, 60 Minutes reported, there were 44,000 people on the list, plus another 75,000 for whom the feds called for extra screening. The no-fly list is also part of a much larger set, the Terrorist Screening Database, which the government compiled in 2003. In September 2008, an FBI deputy director told Congress there were 400,000 people on that last, 97 percent of them foreigners.

How does someone get on the watchlist? Who knows! The government says it gets thousands of tips a day, but it won’t tell you whether you’re on it, and it won’t tell you how to get off, as my colleague Conor Friedersdorf explained in 2012. The enormous size of the lists inevitably led to confusion, false positives, and outrage. Even Senator Ted Kennedy managed to end up on the no-fly list. So did Cat Stevens, now known as Yusuf Islam.

The system understandably raised the hackles of civil libertarians. The ACLU has been outspoken about the problems with the list for years. But it also upset Democrats, who complained that the list was yet another example of the Bush administration overreaching in its conduct of national-security policy, sacrificing in order to fight terrorism the very liberties that it purported to be defending.

“If his name got on the list in error, is that happening to other citizens and are they experiencing such difficulty in resolving the problem?” Kennedy’s spokesman told The Washington Post.

Over the late 2000s, pressure grew, and the no-fly list actually shrank significantly, to about 4,000. But after the failed Christmas Day “underwear bomber” attack in December 2009, the Obama administration reversed course and significantly ramped up the list. By 2013, according to documents obtained by The Intercept, there were 47,000 people on the no-fly list, topping the Bush administration’s high. Obama’s decision was driven in part by national-security hawks in his own party, including California Democratic Senator Dianne Feinstein, who called for a more aggressive list after the failed attack.

Republicans did not hesitate to criticize Obama over the attack, but the party was starting to discover a newfound skepticism for the no-fly list, now that a Democrat was in the White House and in charge of the list. That shift was helped by the election of a crop of libertarian-leaning legislators in the 2010 Tea Party wave, and growing evidence of the TSA’s inefficacy. The change wasn’t unanimous—you can read the conservative pundit Michelle Malkin saying no-fly enforcement was too lax in 2010—but something had changed. (It can’t have helped that Weekly Standard writer Stephen Hayes was somehow placed on the list, too.)

Obama didn’t personally make a great deal out of the no-fly list itself during his 2008 campaign for president, but he did criticize the Bush administration for overreach on civil liberties and excessive secrecy. Yet when the administration was sued by a man who believed he was on the list, it refused to say whether or not the man was on the list. As Nick Baumann of Mother Jones put it, “2008 Obama would have slammed 2014 Obama for this.”

When arguing that those on the no-fly list shouldn’t be able to buy guns, Obama and his allies have pointed to a 2011 call from American-born al-Qaeda member Adam Gadahn for would-be jihadis to take advantage of lax American gun laws. Still, it’s unclear how large an effect such a change would have on actual terrorism. The GAO found in 2010 that between February 2004 and February 2010, people on the terror watchlist were subject to firearm or explosives background checks in 1,228 cases. They were allowed to make their purchases in 1,119 of those cases, because there was noting that legally prohibited the buys.

In a smaller subset of the data, between 2009 and 2010, the GAO found that “several” people on the no-fly list were allowed to buy guns. So far, there’s nothing to suggest that Syed Rizwan Farook and Tafsheen Malik, the suspects in the San Bernardino shooting, were on the no-fly list, either.
    “There aren’t 700,000 terrorists operating in America openly on watch lists.”

The major objection among Republican politicians at the moment to Obama’s proposal is not that it wouldn’t prevent many gun purchases. It’s that it would infringe on people’s Second Amendment rights.

While that’s true, it somewhat misses the point. There are plenty of reasons why people in the United States can have their firearm rights abridged. The broader problem is not that the people on the no-fly list are being denied their rights; it’s that they’re being denied their rights without due process. The lack of due process for being placed on the list or getting off forms the basis for an ACLU case against the government, Latif, et al. v. Holder. In 2014, a federal court ruled that the redress process for people on the list was unconstitutional. The government revised its redress system, but the ACLU has again challenged that process as unconstitutional because of its lack of due process.

On Sunday, Rubio said, “There aren’t 700,000 terrorists operating in America openly on watch lists.” In fact, very few of the 700,000 he lists are in the U.S., but even accepting the principle, Rubio might, on some level, be making an argument against Obama’s gun proposal. But mostly, it’s a compelling case against the essence of the no-fly list as it exists today.

To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

• I work in Irvine, CA. It's one of the safest cities in the US.

http://www.cityrating.com/crime-stat...ia/irvine.html

There were 2 murders/manslaughter in 2012. One murder/manslaughter projected for 2015. That's not 2 murders/manslaughter per 100,000. That's TWO, period.

http://www.usa.com/irvine-ca-crime-and-crime-rate.htm

There was ZERO murder/manslaughter in 2010.

The gun laws here are the same as LA county. In fact, looser, since residents can mail order ammo in Irvine but not in LA county.

Why is Irvine so safe but not LA? Don't know.
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
        I work in Irvine, CA. It's one of the safest cities in the US.

There were 2 murders/manslaughter in 2012. One murder/manslaughter projected for 2015. That's not 2 murders/manslaughter per 100,000. That's TWO, period.

The gun laws here are the same as LA county. In fact, looser, since residents can mail order ammo in Irvine but not in LA county.

Also, OC Sheriffs follow Shall Issue guidelines for concealed carry permits last time I checked.

Comment

• Originally posted by gunnut View Post
          I work in Irvine, CA. It's one of the safest cities in the US.

Irvine is a planned city, largely an artificial creation since 1960. Communities are fairly small, and separated by freeways. There are no ancient slums (Southside Chicago, Watts) with names that strike terror in the wallets of real estate agents.

250,000 people (50% white, 40% Asian, mostly Vietnamese and Korean), top-rated schools and strong skilled labor employment. Single parent household are only about 13-14%. Half the residents own their own homes.

Most intreging of all, Prop 13 was bypassed by Mello-Roos taxes, providing the funding for economic and social development.
          Trust me?
          I'm an economist!

Comment

• that, and Irvine is so widely spaced that it's almost rural...;-)

I should know, I grew up in the turtle rock community...parents are still there in fact.
            There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
              Irvine is a planned city, largely an artificial creation since 1960. Communities are fairly small, and separated by freeways. There are no ancient slums (Southside Chicago, Watts) with names that strike terror in the wallets of real estate agents.

250,000 people (50% white, 40% Asian, mostly Vietnamese and Korean), top-rated schools and strong skilled labor employment. Single parent household are only about 13-14%. Half the residents own their own homes.

Most intreging of all, Prop 13 was bypassed by Mello-Roos taxes, providing the funding for economic and social development.
              Originally posted by astralis View Post
              that, and Irvine is so widely spaced that it's almost rural...;-)

I should know, I grew up in the turtle rock community...parents are still there in fact.
              So....the theme looks to be a widely spaced community to decrease rate of murder/homicide/manslaughter in an area with high gun ownership.

By the way, David, Irvine is not that sparse any more. Not sure if you have visited recently, there are dense pockets of population with newly constructed multi level apartment buildings not commonly found in OC.

Comment

• gunnut,

So....the theme looks to be a widely spaced community to decrease rate of murder/homicide/manslaughter in an area with high gun ownership.
                of course, if only because there's fewer targets to hit in any given area. that's not really going to be practicable in a big city, though, especially one that wasn't planned out.

it's not an accident that gun-control is more popular in densely populated urban areas and not so much in rural areas.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                  gunnut,

of course, if only because there's fewer targets to hit in any given area. that's not really going to be practicable in a big city, though, especially one that wasn't planned out.

it's not an accident that gun-control is more popular in densely populated urban areas and not so much in rural areas.
                  So...let's solve the problem by putting more people into big cities. Or should we discourage dense city planning?

Comment

• gunnut,

So...let's solve the problem by putting more people into big cities.
                    greater economic opportunities where there's more people, which mostly outweighs considerations of getting shot.

Or should we discourage dense city planning?
                    dense city planning is actually a good thing-- it's more efficient, for one. Irvine is very much a product of the 1960-1970s city planning, which was very much fixated on cars (like LA). turns out most people LIKE a walkable neighborhood, and that's why some of the newer Irvine neighborhoods have tried to do that instead.

closer to the topic, I actually think gun control, or lack thereof, should be a local affair. what's good for Upper Nowhere, Mississippi, may not be what's good for New York.

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                      gunnut,

greater economic opportunities where there's more people, which mostly outweighs considerations of getting shot.
                      But we don't see that in Detroit or Chicago or Philadelphia or St. Louis.

dense city planning is actually a good thing-- it's more efficient, for one. Irvine is very much a product of the 1960-1970s city planning, which was very much fixated on cars (like LA). turns out most people LIKE a walkable neighborhood, and that's why some of the newer Irvine neighborhoods have tried to do that instead.
                      Is it really efficient? I've seen the subway systems in Europe, Japan, and Hong Kong. They are great because they are subsidized. The cost to run them is higher because a train that can carry 500 people runs all the time, even when there's only a handful of people riding it.

When our freeway or streets empty, they are not expending energy.

Of course there's the "independence" part that I like with our system. I enjoy going to my friend's house, watch movies, hang out, and leave at 230am. I hop into my car whenever I want and get back home without exposing myself to the rest of the world for more 2 minutes. I don't want to live on the government's schedule. I don't want to share my space with other people. I don't like strangers. They don't have to like me. And I sure as hell don't want to be trapped at home when the government shuts down the subway.

closer to the topic, I actually think gun control, or lack thereof, should be a local affair. what's good for Upper Nowhere, Mississippi, may not be what's good for New York.
                      But how do we reconcile that with the Constitution, the "supreme" law of the land? Why is it OK for locals to have their own gun control laws but not their own voting laws or immigration laws?

Comment

• closer to the topic, I actually think gun control, or lack thereof, should be a local affair. what's good for Upper Nowhere, Mississippi, may not be what's good for New York.
                        Thinking like that was used by bigots to ban blacks from having guns, an interesting chapter even the guns rights crowd doesn't wish to touch...

The Ignorant Gun Control Crusade
                        By Rich Lowry
                        December 08, 2015
                        http://www.realclearpolitics.com/art...de_128971.html
                        Self-righteousness is liberating. The same people who are most exercised about guns in America, and want to ban and even confiscate entire categories of firearms, know little about them and evidently feel no compunction to learn.

The worst terror attack in the United States since September 11 has become the occasion for another frenzied, poorly informed push for new gun restrictions.

President Barack Obama gave a prime-time address on the terror threat, in which he resolutely reaffirmed the status quo in the campaign against ISIS. Except that he hopes that gun control, one of the signal political and policy failures of our time, will now be deployed to help foil the apocalyptic terror group.

Almost every time there is a mass shooting, there is a rush to push old gun-control chestnuts, regardless of their applicability. The San Bernardino terror couple didn’t buy their guns at a gun show (making the effort to close the so-called gun-show loophole irrelevant); they weren’t on the terrorism watch list (so the proposal to ban people on the list from buying guns wouldn’t have stopped them); and Syed Farook passed a background check when he bought two handguns (rendering calls for universal background checks moot).

The president and the New York Times, which saw fit to publish a front-page editorial for the first time since it thundered against Warren Harding in 1920, have fastened on the two “assault weapons,” AR-15s, used in the attack. The Times called them “weapons of war, barely modified.” President Obama referred to them as “powerful assault weapons.”

On this question, the Left has fallen for its own propaganda. Decades ago, gun-controllers decided to play on the confusion between semi-automatic versus automatic weapons to push for a ban on nasty-looking assault weapons, even though they are, for the most part, functionally indistinguishable from other semi-automatic rifles.

The AR-15 is one of those semi-automatic guns. It isn’t exotic or particularly powerful. It is the most popular rifle in the country. At least 3.5 million are in circulation. It is lightweight, accurate, and without much kick. You wouldn’t use it in combat and, in fact, wouldn’t necessarily use it to hunt. A .223-caliber gun, it is less powerful than many handguns. Some states forbid .223-caliber rifles in deer hunting because they aren’t powerful enough to reliably take down the game.

If gun-controllers know any of this, they hide it well. Nor do they seem to care that a prior version of the assault-weapons ban, in effect in the ten years after 1994, was wholly ineffectual. A Department of Justice-backed study concluded, “Should it be renewed, the ban’s effects on gun violence are likely to be small at best and perhaps too small for reliable measurement.” (Rifles of all types, let alone assault rifles, are used in gun homicides only rarely.)

The proposal to keep people on the terrorist watch list from buying guns sounds sensible, yet it is problematic in that it denies people an explicit constitutional right on the basis of little or no due process. Last year, the Times itself inveighed against “the shadowy, self-contradictory world of American terror watch lists.” If the watch list is to become a no-gun list, it has to be cleaned up, and listees should have an opportunity to challenge their status upon attempting to buy a gun.

Such a prohibition would affect a tiny slice of gun purchases and would likely be mere symbolism, like the assault-weapons ban. The overriding reality that gun-controllers ignore is that almost all gun homicides are committed with handguns in routine street crime, and are often obtained in informal networks operating outside the gun rules we already have.

But please don’t confuse the anti-gun campaigners with facts. Their ignorance is invincible, and necessary to their crusade.
                        To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

• Is it true that the 2 "assault" rifles in Farook's possession were straw purchases? Didn't he know that was illegal? Why would anyone break the law? I mean, it's the law. We set it up for a reason. I simply don't understand why anyone would break the law. It doesn't make any sense.

Comment

• Is it really efficient? I've seen the subway systems in Europe, Japan, and Hong Kong. They are great because they are subsidized. The cost to run them is higher because a train that can carry 500 people runs all the time, even when there's only a handful of people riding it.
                            I can't speak for Europe or Japan, but Hong Kong's Mass Transit Railway Corp (MTRC) is often described as a property company with a railroad problem. Here's how it was financed:

The government decides where it wants a subway line.
                            The government then gives the MTRC several plots of land, one at each station.
                            The MTRC either develops or sells the land rights to pay for the subway.
                            The government sets rates and safety rules, and the population gets highly efficient and low cost mass transit at no more than an opportunity cost to the public purse.

This is an excellent model, and the MTRC is being asked to advise on implementing it in both China and Eastern Europe.
                            Trust me?
                            I'm an economist!

Comment

• Is the line profittable? Or are they using real estate to pay for rail?
                              Chimo

Comment

• gunnut,

But we don't see that in Detroit or Chicago or Philadelphia or St. Louis.
                                depends on the economic opportunities, of course. there's a reason why Detroit has shrunk, while the likes of SF continues to boom.

Is it really efficient? I've seen the subway systems in Europe, Japan, and Hong Kong. They are great because they are subsidized. The cost to run them is higher because a train that can carry 500 people runs all the time, even when there's only a handful of people riding it.
                                if you're talking about the microeconomics of a subway, yeah, they can't pay for themselves. but that's true of any public road; even the ones with tolls take decades just to make back the initial cost, let alone maintenance. (of course, that's also not dealing with secondary costs like air pollution, traffic jams, accidents, etc.)

you run the subway/road to make the rest of the city more economically efficient. some subway systems are more efficient than others, again usually based on population density.

But how do we reconcile that with the Constitution, the "supreme" law of the land? Why is it OK for locals to have their own gun control laws but not their own voting laws or immigration laws?
                                note that there's a lot more leeway for local implementation of domestic policies vice what's considered foreign policy, or would have an impact on foreign policy.

of course there's a bottom-line in the Constitution; and then it's up to the courts to decide if the local law violates the Constitution.

Comment

Working...
                                X