No announcement yet.

Southern Border Developments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this is sad for the agents, you can imagine the stress they have to deal with day in and day out of having to play cat and mouse with these people. ill be applying for that same job in about 1 year. but ill never do something like that.
    sigpic

Comment

• What I have heard is that these guys removed evidences and obstructed the investigation. That doesn't sound like something innocent people would do. These guys knew they did something wrong and were trying to hide it. They should be found guilty of obstructing justice
      "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• Ok little buck fever Id say. Oh wait its not deer season is it and they were trained professionals not big city tourist running around in the sticks with grandpa's WW II rifle. Something about this don't smell right. 15 shots 1 hit. My questions are, how many aliens were these 2 BP agents really facing? How long did they talk to each other and about what before the shooting started? Who fired first and why?
        One thing seems for certain the drug pushers and the evidence tampering Border Patrol are never going to tell John Q Public.

Comment

• Texas officials say US-Mexico wall not wanted

Texas officials say US-Mexico wall not wanted

AUSTIN, Texas - Officials from southern Texas on Wednesday criticized a federal plan to build a wall along the US-Mexico border to stop illegal immigration, calling it a "wall of shame."

They said the wall would hurt the economy and the environment and was an affront to both Mexicans and Mexican-Americans in southern Texas, where economic and cultural ties to Mexico are deep.

"This wall would do damage to those of us living on both sides of the wall," said State Sen. Eddie Lucio from the border city of Brownsville. "This is a wall of shame that we neither want nor welcome.

"Texas is connected to Mexico by 23 bridges. Through these bridges we maintain our centuries-old friendships and blood ties with Mexico, as well as the trade and tourism which benefits this state and the entire United States of America."

The US Congress has approved the construction of 700 miles of fencing along the 2,000-mile US-Mexico border.

The idea for the most part is unpopular in heavily Hispanic southern Texas.

The officials told reporters in the state capitol that the Department of Homeland Security plans to have 153 miles of fence in place in Texas by the end of 2008.

Eagle Pass Mayor Chad Foster said when a tornado struck last week that killed seven in his city and three in Piedras Negras across the Rio Grande, the Mexican government and Mexican relief agencies provided help to people in Eagle Pass.

'Unique relationship'

The proposed wall would discourage that kind of cross-border cooperation, he said.

"We have a unique relationship with our friends, neighbors, and family members in Mexico, and we don't want to do anything to jeopardize that relationship," Foster said.

The officials said the fence would hurt the river environmental system and disrupt wildlife migratory patterns.

Illegal immigration has been a hot political issue in the US, where opponents say a porous border leaves the door open for anti-US militants bent on a 9/11 type disaster.

State Sen. Juan Hinojosa of McAllen said the real issue for those pushing for a border wall was not terrorism, but racism.

"None of the 9/11 hijackers came into this country from Mexico," he said. "They came from Canada and overstayed their visas.

"So, I ask, why do we not put up a wall along the Canadian border, which is less secure than the Mexican border? The answer is, quite obviously, that they're not Mexican."

The officials said the $1.2 billion budgeted for the fence could be better spent on high-tech security equipment and on infrastructure to improve commerce between Mexico and the United States. Reuters
          sigpic

Comment

• How can a wall between two places that are not supposed to have any traffic be economically damaging?

-dale

Comment

• They said the wall would hurt the economy and the environment and was an affront to both Mexicans and Mexican-Americans in southern Texas, where economic and cultural ties to Mexico are deep.
              Are you Mexicans or Americans? All building a wall would do is keep out illegal aliens.
              "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just; that His justice cannot sleep forever."
              - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• I wonder if US could not really control the entry of illegal alien on the border without the possibility of constructing this wall?
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by dalem View Post
                  How can a wall between two places that are not supposed to have any traffic be economically damaging?

-dale
                  Think "the trafficking of drugs and illegals". If the U.S. stops this the corrupt Mexican economy would crumble.
                  Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by xrough View Post
                    I wonder if US could not really control the entry of illegal alien on the border without the possibility of constructing this wall?
                    Miserable failure so far. At best, the wall will only slow down the flood to a more managable level. We do not have an open border with Mexico, but they just can't seem to get this.
                    Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

• A wall symbolizes division..is the US don't care about the possible impact on this to the Mexican since I know they are a great supporter of US in the Central America? especially now that the number of anti-US regime is increasing in the Latin America..
                      sigpic

Comment

A wall symbolizes division..is the US don't care about the possible impact on this to the Mexican since I know they are a great supporter of US in the Central America? especially now that the number of anti-US regime is increasing in the Latin America..
                        "symbolizes division"? We're two separate countries, the division is clear and precise.

-dale

Comment

"symbolizes division"? We're two separate countries, the division is clear and precise.

-dale
                          Good response. I have a privacy fence around my house. That does not mean I don't like my neighbor!

Comment

-dale
                            I don't think the wall is necessary..if US patrols most of the oceans of the world and send troops to other countries, why they can't patrol its boundaries?Yes, we have our own specified boundaries and I think that would be enough..
                            sigpic

Comment

I don't think the wall is necessary..if US patrols most of the oceans of the world and send troops to other countries, why they can't patrol its boundaries?Yes, we have our own specified boundaries and I think that would be enough..
                              We don't have enough people to densely outpost the Mexican border, and why should we bother when a wall can do a large part of the work?

You're feeling, not thinking, in my opinion.

-dale

Comment

• Originally posted by ExNavyAmerican View Post
                                Are you Mexicans or Americans? All building a wall would do is keep out illegal aliens.
                                Some towns in South Texas are basically part of Mexico ... there is one town that declared Spanish its official language and made it a crime to communicate with US Border Patrol or Immigration Enforcement agents and some other communities have similar rules.

I really dont see what the problem here is ... this is our land and that is their land stay off our land unless your invited, its a very simple concept. Besides, good walls make good neighbors!

Comment

Working...
                                X