Tank Gunnery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    Come see me when those buckets of bolts can match this. Then I'll be impressed.

They don't call us the "God of War" for nothing

The skeet shooting was pretty cool though:))
    How long would that take to set up? If the lines are fluid you might find some enemy tankers there with you doing all sorts of nasty things to you. :)

On a more serious note- If the lines are not static and your not underground, a tank is a pretty good place to be if its new enough to have an anti-radiation liner. If its not at ground zero and the crew is buttoned up but otherwise in the last radius. Since tanks dig in to hull down positions and are very heavy, tactical weapons won't have much effect on the tank or crew. maybe shear the antennas, fry the stowed gear and fry the optics (if the optics are facing the explosion) but that is about it.

Also I've heard a rumor we leaked pictures of artillery firing nukes to the Chinese/Russians during the Korean War. The obvious message was we are getting ready to deploy tactical nukes to break the stalemate. The rumor is these pictures had an impact on Mao beign ready to agree to an armistice.

Comment

Originally posted by Prof View Post
      Excuse me. Ain't no tame jarhead, no where, no how.

Doc

Sadly, true, true.
      “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
      Mark Twain

Comment

What are the chances of a tank company overrunning an artillery battery that is set up to fire missions and not expecting to be attacked by enemy armor? How likely is it for the artillerists to win if they are doing indirect fire but also expect the lines to be fluid and prepared to defend their guns?
        All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
        -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
          What are the chances of a tank company overrunning an artillery battery that is set up to fire missions and not expecting to be attacked by enemy armor? How likely is it for the artillerists to win if they are doing indirect fire but also expect the lines to be fluid and prepared to defend their guns?
          No contest mate . Tanks manouverability makes it the winner ;)
          Last edited by tankie; 04 Dec 09,, 16:22.

Comment

A good tank crew can get 3 rounds of inthe first 10 seconds....and there are 10 to 14 tanks in the company.

A good artillery battery can get 3 rounds off in the first minute (155mm)....and there are 6 - 8 guns in a battery.

That correaltion of forces is why gunners, rightly, prefer to engage tankers at ranges out past 10,000 meters.
            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
            Mark Twain

Comment

That's why you have engineers preparing lines of approach.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                Mon dieu Colonelo a good tank troop uses Engineers for bridges , minefield clearance etc etc , so the reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaal fighting men can get on with the task at hand

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                  Gus,

Arguing with the Gunny is like wrestling with a pig....everyone gets dirty and the pig likes it.

The Gunny is okay...he's our tame Jarhead!
                  I thought I was the "Token Jarhead:))

Blame my attitude on the Blockhouse. They gave me that little pet peeve about striving for accurate info.

Comment

In a direct fire shoot, Arty doesn't stand a chance. Thats why our watchwords are "Shoot, Move, Communicate".

I want to engage tanks with Copperhead, BAT,SADARM, DPICM, and FASCM and aircraft. Not with HE in the direct fire mode.

And Zraver although I posted a video of "Atomic Annie" we could do the same thing in 155 and 8 Inch :))

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                      Yup, but if armor has a achieved a breakout the artillery, cooks, command posts, supply units etc are going to be running scared. Those are the targets the tank really likes to kill. The tanks mobility and firepower is used to achieve a penetration and that penetration causes shock. Hence the armor patch in the US Army is a cannon for firepower, a track for mobility and a lightning bolt for shock.

For example SSgt Pool in WWII killed 12 enemy tanks but also destroyed 246 other vehicles killing over 1,000 Germans and tanking 250 prisoners in 83 days of (June 29, 1944- Sept 19, 1944) combat from the Normandy breakout during Operation Cobra all the way across France to the German border.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                        In a direct fire shoot, Arty doesn't stand a chance. Thats why our watchwords are "Shoot, Move, Communicate".

I want to engage tanks with Copperhead, BAT,SADARM, DPICM, and FASCM and aircraft. Not with HE in the direct fire mode.

And Zraver although I posted a video of "Atomic Annie" we could do the same thing in 155 and 8 Inch :))
                        just wish the Navy was still in the shore bombardment game (a single 5" to me dosn't say much) and it's quite hard to overrun a warship with a tank, when there's fathoms of water surrounding said ship..

Comment

The current Navy buzz-words are 'littoral combat' meaning operations close to shore yet, other than multi-million dollar cruise missiles (and aircraft that operate from carriers well outside the littoral zone) they have no significant means of attacking the shore. Am I the only one who scratches his head over this one?

Comment

Originally posted by cr9527 View Post
                            Not to spoil the fun but, heres a very impressive demonstration of the Abrams tank at gunnery.

I like your video, but most of those shots are extremely easy. In most situations the tank is either static or in motion but facing it's target. Scoring 100% (which by the way, they didn't) on easy shots doesn't define the skill of a tank crew or the caliber of it's gunnery. In some of the shots the tank is in defilade, but again, the tank is static. In most situations a tank in defilade will either pop down to show up a few seconds later somewhere else, or retreat to a further line of defense. No tank just sits there letting enemy gunners get a line on it.
                            Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Been there, Done it, Wrote the Book, was Called up by 2RTR to be a Gunner on the CAT Trophy, had a Shit Loader who couldn´t match the Pace and scored on all engagements, 100% yes even Mover on Mover.

Then against my will Posted to ATDU Kirkudbright to show the Boffins what was needed to make IFCSS Better.

Now that my EGO is reaffermed Over to you Tankie.:P

Comment

Originally posted by Woodsy the Lar View Post
                                Been there, Done it, Wrote the Book, was Called up by 2RTR to be a Gunner on the CAT Trophy, had a Shit Loader who couldn´t match the Pace and scored on all engagements, 100% yes even Mover on Mover.

Then against my will Posted to ATDU Kirkudbright to show the Boffins what was needed to make IFCSS Better.

Now that my EGO is reaffermed Over to you Tankie.:P

Comment

Working...
                                X