Tank Gunnery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Gunnery

"So little pains do the vulgar take in the investigation of truth, accepting readily the first story that comes to hand." Thucydides 1.20.3

Originally posted by Shek View Post

brill

Comment

Not to spoil the fun but, heres a very impressive demonstration of the Abrams tank at gunnery.

Comment

Come see me when those buckets of bolts can match this. Then I'll be impressed.

They don't call us the "God of War" for nothing

The skeet shooting was pretty cool though:))

Comment

Yea but , can it fire on the move oh and by the way the enola gay did it on the move with more spectacular results , hows a bout them eggs honey bunch

But yup , im impressed

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post

Acctually, that would be "King of Battle"

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post

The skeet shooting was pretty cool though:))
              There weren't very many atomic cannons built and those that are left are now museum displays.

However, that 11-inch shell was considred as a sabot round for the Iowa class Battleships under "Project Katy". But the AEC shot it down as they would not allow a nuclear warhead to be lowered down to the shell decks with just a steel cable. They had to be raised or lowered on tracks or hoists that have a fail-safe braking system.

Some plans were drawn for an AEC acceptible hoist system but was cancelled when the Battleships were retired not long after the Korean War and were never expected to be used again.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

Originally posted by Gus00 View Post
                Acctually, that would be "King of Battle"
                My Grandmother use to say" Its better to keep you thoughts to yourself and let people think you are an idiot, then to say them and remove all doubt".

A few things that should have made think, and possibly "Google" before you decided to "Correct" me.

#1 The poster referred to the Artillery arm as "Us"

#2. Look at the persons screen name. Gun Grape, hummm, thats slang for an Artilleryman in both the US Army and The US Marine Corps.

If I put those key indicators together and could conclude, with a high level of confidence, the the poster served as an Artilleryman.

Then I look at the bottom of the post and see that his sig states that he is a retired Marine.

That would lead me to reason that he most likely served for at least 20 years as an Artilleryman and might know a thing or two about the Arm and its history.

Then I might think, " Wow I've never heard of this "God of War" thing so I should "Google" it and see what I can find.

Let me google that for you

And I would learn a thing or two about the Field Artillery and its nicknames.

Like, while the Army Branch goes under the Motto "King of Battle", the Marine Corps usually calls it the "Arm of Decision".

The BCAs Branch motto is 'Quo fas et gloria ducunt' .(Whither Right and Glory Lead) And carry only one battle honor. Ubique

The French, under Louis XIV, had their guns inscribed with Ultima ratio regum (The final argument of Kings)

And somewhere along the line you will read that Stalin declared Artillery the "God of War" and we have been known, in informed circles, as such since that time.

Or you could think you know everything and fire off a "Correction" telling the old arty guy that he is wrong. And prove my grandmother right;)
                Last edited by Gun Grape; 03 Dec 09,, 04:01.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                  There weren't very many atomic cannons built and those that are left are now museum displays.

However, that 11-inch shell was considred as a sabot round for the Iowa class Battleships under "Project Katy". But the AEC shot it down as they would not allow a nuclear warhead to be lowered down to the shell decks with just a steel cable. They had to be raised or lowered on tracks or hoists that have a fail-safe braking system.

Some plans were drawn for an AEC acceptible hoist system but was cancelled when the Battleships were retired not long after the Korean War and were never expected to be used again.
                  Great info, as always Rusty.

AEC was right in wanting more than a cable hoist system. The projectile used a gun type warhead. Dropping one could cause real bad things to happen. Like a big hole in the water where a battleship use to be.

Comment

wow.. Stalin, I stand corrected.

I guess if I Googled anything hard enough I could find just about any nick-name for it. I just use the ones most people go by I guess. I also try not to do a couple of hours of research and write an essay about how another person might be wrong about something. I just leave a friendly little note and move on with my life.

I do not like the cone of shame..

Comment

Originally posted by Gus00 View Post
                      wow.. Stalin, I stand corrected.

I guess if I Googled anything hard enough I could find just about any nick-name for it. I just use the ones most people go by I guess. I also try not to do a couple of hours of research and write an essay about how another person might be wrong about something. I just leave a friendly little note and move on with my life.

I do not like the cone of shame..

In my case, it doesn't take "Hours of research". I did that little thing off the top of my head.

It would have been a 30 sec google search for the uninformed to find the "God of war" quote.

This is an international board there is no such thing as "What most people go by".

There is a reason some of us have Mil Professional in our name line.

Don't try to correct someone on something you don't know squat about.

I see you did the same in the UnRep question in another thread. UnRep was not universal with all the allies.

It is very possible that an allied formation could not replenish AA ammo until reaching a port prior to 1944.

Comment

"You win"

.. does that help?

Comment

Gus,

Arguing with the Gunny is like wrestling with a pig....everyone gets dirty and the pig likes it.

The Gunny is okay...he's our tame Jarhead!
                          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                          Mark Twain

Comment

Trust me, I'm smiling. All in good fun to me.

Comment

Excuse me. Ain't no tame jarhead, no where, no how.

Doc

Comment

Working...
                              X