X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Royal Tank Regiment

Dear 1RTR members of WAB,

I've seen you guys arriving in numbers since January... and you've contributions to the forum are great. I've come to know some of you fairly well through WAB, and was wondering if I get to know a few of you a little bit better. :)

Ironduke
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

*** looking at the 22 bottles scotch on the wall *** Think I'm going to empty the Oban on this thread.

Comment

Just the one bottle? OoE

Comment

The's a shot or two left from the lagavulin. Haven't replaced that yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
          Must admit Sir, your taste in Scotch is impeccable:)

Comment

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post

I've seen you guys arriving in numbers since January... and you've contributions to the forum are great. I've come to know some of you fairly well through WAB, and was wondering if I get to know a few of you a little bit better. :)

Ironduke
            At your service Sir...

PS
            Be carefull of what you wish for..
            Join the Army! Travel to exotic, distant lands and sweep it!

Comment

Ironduke
              Common decency on my part insists that I disabuse you from this idea. Think of the effect on poor old OoE, not to mention the forum itself. Don't say that I didn't warn you!
              Semper in excretum. Solum profunda variat.

Comment

I have a question...why dont we see anyone from the 2nd Royal Tank Regiment?

Comment

Originally posted by MarquezRazor View Post
                  I have a question...why dont we see anyone from the 2nd Royal Tank Regiment?
                  Who?
                  Last edited by T_igger_cs_30; 22 Feb 07,, 05:23.
                  sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Should raw analytical data ever be passed to policy makers?

Comment

Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                    Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
                    Must admit Sir, your taste in Scotch is impeccable:)
                    Seconded all in favour .........
                    sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

Ironduke
                      Sir you are a gentleman and a scholar............before we start do you also have an IRON constitution?
                      Last edited by T_igger_cs_30; 22 Feb 07,, 05:25.
                      sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

For a starter to knowing them all, here is their background as gleaned from the web:

The Royal Tank Regiment is a cavalry regiment of the British Army. It was formerly known as the Tank Corps and the Royal Tank Corps. It is part of the Royal Armoured Corps and is made up of two operational regiments, the 1st Royal Tank Regiment (1RTR) and the 2nd Royal Tank Regiment (2RTR). The regimental motto is Fear Naught.

In the nineteenth-century (and before) British Army, regiments of infantry raised several battalions, which were often deployed separately. This practice remained into the modern era - in the First World War, it was common to see twenty or more battalions with a single regimental title. However, this practice did not hold for the cavalry regiments, which traditionally were only of limited size; in the modern era, this meant that each regiment would only constitute one battalion.

As a result, it became traditional for a battalion-level unit of cavalry to be referred to as a "regiment". This was not as confusing as it may seem, since where other armies would use "regiment" for a unit of two to four battalions, the British Army used "brigade". Hence, an infantry brigade could consist of three battalions of infantry, but a cavalry brigade of equivalent size would have three regiments.

In the inter-war period, the British Army began to mechanise, with cavalry regiments giving up their horses in favour of armoured cars or light tanks. (The first regiment to do so was the 11th Hussars, in 1928; the last the Royal Scots Greys in 1941). As a result, it became common to refer to any armoured unit as a "regiment" rather than a "battalion" - the 11th Hussars were not merely an armoured-car battalion, but the whole of the regiment. In 1945, this usage became formal; all armoured battalions were henceforth referred to as regiments.

The Royal Tank Regiment is itself a regiment of the British Army, part of the Royal Armoured Corps. However, as a result of the above, both its "battalions" are formally titled regiments. This can cause some confusion, with the regiment currently being composed of two regiments...

World War I

The Royal Tank Regiment's formation followed the invention of the tank. Tanks were first used at Flers in September 1916 during the Battle of the Somme in World War I. At that time the six tank companies were grouped as the Heavy Branch of the Machine Gun Corps (MGC).

In November of 1916 the eight companies then in existence were each expanded to form battalions numbered A through H; another seven battalions, I through O, were formed by January 1918, when they all were converted to numbered units. On 28 July 1917 the Heavy Branch was by Royal Warrant separated from the rest of the MGC and given official status as the Tank Corps, meaning that by the beginning of 1918 the fifteen units were 1st Battalion, Tank Corps through to 15th Battalion, Tank Corps. More battalions continued to be formed, and by December 1918, 26 had been created. (At this time there were only 25 tank battalions, however; the 17th had converted to using armoured cars in April of 1918)

The Corps saw heavy action through 1917 and 1918, with special note being given to the Battle of Cambrai, which the regiment continues to commemorate annually. During the war, four members of the Corps were awarded the Victoria Cross. However, heavy losses and recurrent mechanical difficulties reduced the effectiveness of the Corps, leading the Bovington Tank School to adopt a doctrine that emphasised caution and high standards of maintenance in equal measure.

Interwar period

After the war, the Tank Corps was trimmed down to a central depot and four battalions; the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Battalions, Tank Corps.

In 1923 it was officially named Royal (making it the Royal Tank Corps) by Colonel-in-Chief King George V. It was at this time that the motto Fear Naught, the black beret and the unit badge were adopted. The word Corps was replaced in 1939 with Regiment to give the unit its current name, the Royal Tank Regiment.

In 1920, twelve Armoured Car Companies were set up as part of the Tank Corps, absorbing units from the Machine Gun Corps; eight were later converted into independent Light Tank Companies. All disbanded before the outbreak of WWII.

In 1933 the 6th Battalion, Royal Tank Corps, was formed in Egypt by combining the personnel of two of these companies; in 1934, the 1st (Light) Battalion, Royal Tank Corps was formed in England with personnel from three of the existing battalions.

With the preparations for war in the late 1930s a further two regular battalions were formed; the 7th in 1937 and the 8th in 1938. The 40th, 41st, 42nd, 43rd, 44th & 45th battalions were raised in 1938, being converted from Territorial Army infantry battalions; the 46th, 47th, 48th, 49th, 50th and 51st were likewise activated and converted in 1939. The twelve Yeomanry Armoured Car Companies of the RTR were all activated and transferred to the Royal Armoured Corps.

World War II

At the outbreak of war, the Regiment consisted of eight regular battalions.

* 1st & 6th RTR was part of the Heavy Armoured Brigade (Egypt)
                        * 2nd, 3rd & 5th RTR were part of the 1st Heavy Armoured Brigade
                        * 4th, 7th & 8th RTR were part of the British 1st Army Tank Brigade

In addition, there were a large number of territorial battalions, as well as hostilities-only battalions such as 9 RTR.

The regiment was again expanded such that there were numerous units of the RTR that took part in countless battles in World War II, including the Battle of Dunkirk, El Alamein and D-Day. In honour of the importance of tank warfare, and the Corps itself, Field Marshall Montgomery would frequently wear the Regimental cap badge in addition to his Field Marshall's badge.

Post-war period

After World War II, the RTR was reduced through various amalgamations, first in 1959-60:

* 3RTR and 6RTR amalgamated as 3RTR
                        * 4RTR and 7RTR amalgamated as 4RTR
                        * 5RTR and 8RTR amalgamated as 5RTR

In 1969, 5RTR was disbanded, while under Options for Change, 4RTR amalgamated with 1RTR, and 3RTR with 2RTR.

The current Colonel-in-Chief of the Royal Tank Regiment is Queen Elizabeth II.

Current status

Today, there are two regiments, the 1st and 2nd Royal Tank Regiments (1RTR and 2RTR). Today, half of 1RTR forms part of the Joint CBRN Regiment (together with No. 27 Squadron RAF Regiment) with the other half as a training unit, while 2RTR retains its role as an armoured regiment as part of 12 Mech Brigade.

The Royal Tank Regiment has continued to see action, including playing a role in missions in Bosnia and Kosovo. Elements of 1RTR were deployed to Afgahanistan in 2002 and both regiments were involved in the invasion of Iraq, with the 2RTR battlegroup playing an important role in the capture of the city of Basra.

Vehicles

The Royal Tank Regiment uses a variety of vehicles, including:

* Challenger 2 (introduced in 1998; the regiment's primary vehicle)
                        * FV107 Scimitar
                        * FV105 Sultan
                        * FV103 Spartan
                        * FV104 Samaritan
                        * HGV
                        * Land Rover
                        * Fuchs

Battle honours

* The Great War: Somme 1916 '18, Arras 1917 '18, Messines 1917, Ypres 1917, Cambrai 1917, St. Quentin 1918, Villers Bretonneux, Amiens, Bapaume 1918, Hindenburg Line, Épéhy, Selle, France and Flanders 1916-18, Gaza

* The Second World War: Arras Counter Attack, Calais 1940, St. Omer-La Bassée, Somme 1940, Odon, Caen, Bourguébus Ridge, Mont Pincon, Falaise, Nederrijn, Scheldt, Venlo Pocket, Rhineland, Rhine, Bremen, North-West Europe 1940 '44-45, Abyssinia 1940, Sidi Barrani, Beda Fomm, Sidi Suleiman, Tobruk 1941, Sidi Rezegh 1941, Belhamed, Gazala, Cauldron, Knightsbridge, Defence of Alamein Line, Alam el Halfa, El Alamein, Mareth, Akarit, Fondouk, El Kourzia, Medjez Plain, Tunis, North Africa 1940-43, Primosole Bridge, Gerbini, Adrano, Sicily 1943, Sangro, Salerno, Volturno Crossing, Garigliano Crossing, Anzio, Advance to Florence, Gothic Line, Coriano, Lamone Crossing, Rimini Line, Argenta Gap, Italy 1943-45, Greece 1941, Burma 1942

* Korea 1951-53; Al Basrah, Iraq 2003

Order of Precedence

Royal Armoured Corps is the third in the order of Precedence and follows the Household Cavalry and the Royal Horse Artillery.

The Royal Armoured Corps is divided into those regiments that operate main battle tanks (armoured regiments) and those that operate reconnaissance tanks (formation reconnaissance regiments). Of these, three regiments are designated as Dragoon Guards, two as Hussars, two as Lancers and one as Dragoons. The remaining two are the two regiments of the Royal Tank Regiment. In the regular army there are five armoured regiments and five formation reconnaissance regiments:

* Regular Army
                        o 1st The Queen's Dragoon Guards - Formation Reconnaissance
                        o The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards (Carabiniers and Greys) - Armoured
                        o The Royal Dragoon Guards - Armoured
                        o The Queen's Royal Hussars (The Queen's Own and Royal Irish) - Armoured
                        o 9th/12th Royal Lancers (Prince of Wales's) - Formation Reconnaissance
                        o The King's Royal Hussars - Armoured
                        o The Light Dragoons - Formation Reconnaissance
                        o The Queen's Royal Lancers - Formation Reconnaissance
                        o 1st Royal Tank Regiment - NBC
                        o 2nd Royal Tank Regiment - Armoured

The 1st Royal Tank Regiment forms approximately two thirds of the regular establishment of the Joint CBRN Regiment.

The Household Cavalry Regiment (consisting of the Life Guards and the Blues and Royals) is not part of the RAC; instead it is part of the Household Cavalry, which is classed as a corps in its own right. However, for operational purposes, the Household Cavalry Regiment is considered to be part of the RAC and constitutes the fifth formation reconnaissance regiment

Alliances

* Canada - 12e Régiment blindé du Canada
                        * Australia - 1st Armoured Regiment
                        * New Zealand - Royal New Zealand Armoured Corps
                        * New Zealand - Queen Alexandra's Mounted Rifles
                        * India - 2nd Lancers (Gardner's Horse)
                        * Pakistan - 13th Lancers
                        * Royal Navy - HMS Kent
                        * France - 501/503 Régiment de Chars de Combat (Bond of Friendship)

Affiliated Yeomanry

* The Dorset Yeomanry
                        * The Westminster Dragoons (2RTR)
                        * The Royal Devon Yeomanry (2RTR)

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Originally posted by Ray View Post
                          The Royal Tank Regiment is a cavalry regiment of the British Army
                          Thank you Ray Sir, saved me typing all that out however one small point ...........no way were we a cavalry regiment.......in my case I would rather be called a sailor than a cavalryman........given that in our first tanks the gunners on the tanks were actually seconded from the Royal Navy....much to there disgust I am sure ..............
                          sigpicFEAR NAUGHT

Comment

True, the cavalry is too posh! ;) :)
                            Last edited by Ray; 22 Feb 07,, 06:32.

"Some have learnt many Tricks of sly Evasion, Instead of Truth they use Equivocation, And eke it out with mental Reservation, Which is to good Men an Abomination."

I don't have to attend every argument I'm invited to.

HAKUNA MATATA

Comment

Fear Naught

Hello,well only just got this link the other day,and as one of the younger guys ex 1RTR (35) we all like a good bit of banter and have a lot of knowledge to share.

Comment

Working...
                              X