This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
    I love the idea of the High Power. Beautiful Classic design that is still available. The only thing to knock about it is that people say the trigger pull is heavy. It is a design that less tunable and has much less support than the 1911.
    The Sig Sauer P220 grip is pretty darn skiny. A pristine P225 would be hard to come by as they have been out of production for about twenty years.
    I believe P225 was produced up until a few years ago for the European market. There are still pristine P225s around, and at reasonable prices as long as you are not in CA. Older P6s are cheap, but you have to be careful to not get "parts" gun (I've seen one) and heavily modified stuff.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

• [QUOTE=surfgun]I love the idea of the High Power. Beautiful Classic design that is still available. The only thing to knock about it is that people say the trigger pull is heavy. It is a design that less tunable and has much less support than the 1911.

I bought my first Hi-power at a gun show, a 35xxx serial number, took it to the range that day. I was used to the 1911 and thought the hi-power would be similar just a 9mm. At 50 feet one hand, my first shot was low and left 7 ring, not the trigger pull I expected, my next 2 shots were in the 10 ring just left, I knew what to expect after the first shot, the next 5 were all touching in the x ring, at one time I had about 8, down to 5 now. Have carried and shot matches with the hi-power, the carry drawback is weight. For the trigger, there is the magazine safety that causes the trigger pull to be heavy, some disconnect that to lighten the trigger pull.
      CADPIPE

Comment

• [QUOTE=cadpipe;988231]
        Originally posted by surfgun
        I love the idea of the High Power. Beautiful Classic design that is still available. The only thing to knock about it is that people say the trigger pull is heavy. It is a design that less tunable and has much less support than the 1911.

I bought my first Hi-power at a gun show, a 35xxx serial number, took it to the range that day. I was used to the 1911 and thought the hi-power would be similar just a 9mm. At 50 feet one hand, my first shot was low and left 7 ring, not the trigger pull I expected, my next 2 shots were in the 10 ring just left, I knew what to expect after the first shot, the next 5 were all touching in the x ring, at one time I had about 8, down to 5 now. Have carried and shot matches with the hi-power, the carry drawback is weight. For the trigger, there is the magazine safety that causes the trigger pull to be heavy, some disconnect that to lighten the trigger pull.
        Each time I think about BHP, I have this huge confusion about the various versions and possible tweaks - MKI, MKII, MKIII, P35, L9A1, Standard, Capitan, magazine disconnect (apparently with which the trigger is crap), forged slides, cast slides, tangent sights, regular sights ...GAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!:bang:

Not too different from most other guns, but seems like there is less clarifying info to go around. I went to the site Hi Powers and Handguns which cleared up maybe 10% of the confusion.

This is without the tiny issue that they are really hard to come by and cost, like, a lot.
        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Hi-Powers appear to be available from the online retailers for about $900. Not to bad considering the level of craftsmanship involved.

Comment

• Picked up a Romanian TTC yesterday. Very nice, I like this pistol. Much heavier than it seems at first, and an oddly thick grip for the thinness of the rest of the gun. I'm probably going to toss the safety and fill in the holes in the frame to bring it back close to original.
            Can't speak to the accuracy. I was shooting into a fifteen mph wind, with temps at 10 degrees to start. I like the cold, but today was too much for me. Did manage to get my Mosin rifle sighted in before I wimped out, so it wasn't too bad a day.
            "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

• Well obviously it is not super cold! Otherwise, that Mosin-Nagant would have shattered your frozen tissue.
              Might as well ditch that manual safety on the TTC as it only blocks the trigger and not the sear.

Comment

• Speaking of Mosin-Nagants...

Kind of a cliche purchase but I still think its awesome you can buy a working 80-year old foreign gun at any gun show in the US for a bit over a hundred bucks. Mine's an Izhevsk from 1931.
                "Nature abhors a moron." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

• Is your socket bayonet tight as all get out, to get it locked on?
                  I stocked up on Ruskie ammo as soon as Vlad started acting the fool in the Crimea. Who knows how much longer we will have access to Russian mil-surp ammo?
                  Last edited by surfgun; 24 Feb 15,, 04:23.

Comment

• Originally posted by Genosaurer View Post
                    Speaking of Mosin-Nagants...

Kind of a cliche purchase but I still think its awesome you can buy a working 80-year old foreign gun at any gun show in the US for a bit over a hundred bucks. Mine's an Izhevsk from 1931.
                    Great post.

The fitting response to this would be pics of my K31 (posted here before, but lets do a repeat :) ). Complete with the tag of the trooper who once carried this fine weapon

Attached Files
                    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                      Is your socket bayonet tight as all get out, to get it locked on?
                      Mine slides right on and locks into place easily, at which point it becomes almost impossible to remove.

I think I recall reading that the 91/30 was intended to be fired with the bayonet fixed, but I feel like I'd get funny looks using it that way on the range...
                      "Nature abhors a moron." - H.L. Mencken

Comment

• IIRC, it was the 1944 carbine length that was intended to use the bayonet. Mine goes on easy, but won't come off once in place. I'd shoot it just to irritate the Fudds at the range, but I can't fit the rifle in the car with bayonet attached.

It may have been my heavy coat, or the numbing cold, but recoild didn't seem too bad yesterday. I've also added a slip on rubber recoil pad.

Worst part of yesterday was the snow. I brought snowshoes, which popped their rivets and left me at the 100 yard range target with one on and one off - frustrating to say the least.
                        "Bother", said Poo, chambering another round.

Comment

• Bought this today through cheaperthandirt.com, which is where I do all of my firearms, ammunition, and related items purchases these days:

Mossberg Model 500 Special Purpose Tactical Tri-Rail pump action shotgun
                          12 gauge
                          18-1/2" barrel
                          3" chamber
                          6 round capacity
                          Adjustable synthetic stock
                          Matte black finish
                          Tactical tri-rail forend
                          Bead sights
                          Cylinder bore
                          36-3/8" overall length
                          Weighs 6-3/4 pounds

$464.00 out the door, plus another $10 for UPS overland delivery. It will arrive at my local Cabela's, which has the Federal Firearms License (FFL) required to receipt for firearms delivered by online companies, in about a week. They receive a handling fee that is part of the purchase price. I look forward to making little ones out of big ones.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• My new (used) Sig p229

I bought a somewhat heavily used P229 from a local gun. Picked it up from the FFL today and took her shooting. I am pretty happy

Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
                              I bought a somewhat heavily used P229 from a local gun. Picked it up from the FFL today and took her shooting. I am pretty happy
                              I don't know which is worst. Daddy, can I borrow the car or Daddy, can I borrow your gun?
                              Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by desertswo View Post
                                Bought this today through cheaperthandirt.com, which is where I do all of my firearms, ammunition, and related items purchases these days:
                                I thought we were still boycotting Cheaper than dirt for price gouging.

Comment

Working...
                                X