Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well today i went & saw battleship, it wasnt bad but the last 20 mins rocked !!!! the mighty mo saved the world !!!!!! i know it was alot of stuff that was ahhhh out there shall we say but seeing her get into action on screen was awesome !!!

Comment

• Originally posted by blackzz28 View Post
      well today i went & saw battleship, it wasnt bad but the last 20 mins rocked !!!! the mighty mo saved the world !!!!!! i know it was alot of stuff that was ahhhh out there shall we say but seeing her get into action on screen was awesome !!!
      Last night the SyFy Channel had a rip-off of the movie. It was called "American Warships" but the plot was that the USS Iowa, on the way to be made into a museum --- under her own power --- but on the way has to fight off Alien invaders. I laughed so hard my sides ached. Most scenes on a real BB I believe were done on the North Carolina. Some scenes were moderately good CGI. The worst was where an Alien missile knocks off the Port ECM "ear" of the New Jersey.

They are using 5"/38's to begin with as they didn't know they had any 16" ammo on board. They found some later.

They did knock out a few Alien missiles with the 40 mm and 20 mm machine guns. Yes, I said 40 mm and 20 mm. (Laugh some more).

But the ending closing statements were uplifting correctly announcing that the Iowa will soon be berthed in San Pedro. Which is absolutely true. But that first statement is also followed up by directives taken right out of the original donation requirements that the Iowa must be kept in condition so it could be readily reactivated and sent back into battle.

If those last requirements are held to us (Pacific Battleship Center) I made up the drawings of how to modify archways and doorways for handicap visitors with the detail is marked with an anchor. Below the General Notes on page one is the anchor symbol which states that any cut out doorways or archways must be tagged and stowed aboard ship to meet Navy requirements for possible reactivation. The same any other plans I developed for any other modifications we have to do to the ship.

But it was still a fun movie.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Under her own power might be handy right now! Oh well....better to be safe than sorry!

On a side note, there's a Kindle only novel titled "Tempered Steel" in which all the fast museum BBs-as well as other museum ships like Little Rock and Salem- are brought back to fight North Korea. The Iowa (and the crew, of course) is one of the stars, but I think the author started writing more than a year ago: the ship is a museum in Vallejo. Otherwise entertaining e-book-especially for battleship fans.
        Last edited by GrayGhost1975; 21 May 12,, 06:35.

Comment

• Rusty, is the Iowa scheduled to be drydocked?

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
            Rusty, is the Iowa scheduled to be drydocked?
            IMO, that would no doubt be a yes before she is permantly berthed. She will require inspection and hull painting for the long run. I'm wondering if she will turn out with a blue painted bottom such as the Missouri now sports.
            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Article
              USS Iowa to depart to Southern California Saturday

Live Stream
              http://new.livestream.com/accounts/725962/events/898014

Last edited by dmwnc1959; 25 May 12,, 08:36.

Comment

• Video from YouTube passing under the Golden Gate bridge.

Were the bloomers, blast bags put on in Richmond? As she is going under the bridge, you can see the blast bags being blown about by the wind. Are they the original blast bags?

Too bad she cannot go back to the WWII configuration, the ABL's do not look right, need the rest of the 5 inch mounts back. But she looks good!

Last edited by Ken_NJ; 29 May 12,, 07:42.

Comment

• I noticed that too. One other thing: is it just me or does the SPS-49 look smaller than I remember?

Comment

• The blast bags looked like 6 mil trash bags. I had my powerful binoculars on her and they way they flapped in the air the bags weren't that thick and I thought 200 gal trash bags if such a thing.

Comment

• rusty , are there plans to put all the parts back on turret #2 to be operational ??? i have heard that the parts are aboard but never installed , is that even true ?? i hope so

Comment

• I read that the original blast bags were missing, so someone volunteered to make and donate new ones. Apparently he used a lighter material. They're better than nothing, but hopefully eventually they can get new, correct ones made up...

Comment

• USS Iowa expected to arrive off San Pedro Wednesday morning

CLICK HERE

Comment

• Appreciate the video.....

Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
                            Video from YouTube passing under the Golden Gate bridge.

Were the bloomers, blast bags put on in Richmond? As she is going under the bridge, you can see the blast bags being blown about by the wind. Are they the original blast bags?

Too bad she cannot go back to the WWII configuration, the ABL's do not look right, need the rest of the 5 inch mounts back. But she looks good!

Thank you to the author of the video!

This 14+ minute overhead tour of the IOWA certainly provides a different perspective from the feet on deck tour of the NJ. Another attraction are the changes made during the upfit compared to all those Revell models built 45-years ago. It certainly adds to the recital's offered in Mr. L's "Yellow Book".

Comment

• Originally posted by Dreadnought View Post
                              IMO, that would no doubt be a yes before she is permantly berthed. She will require inspection and hull painting for the long run. I'm wondering if she will turn out with a blue painted bottom such as the Missouri now sports.
                              Is there anywhere close that can hold her?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pacfanweb View Post
                                Is there anywhere close that can hold her?
                                San Diego.

Comment

Working...
                                X