Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whoa, wait, back up 3 posts... Set the wayback machine to "Ship's Galley" for a sec... MAJOR publicity idea that Pac Bat might enjoy using:

Invite Chef Robert Irvine out to do a "Dinner Impossible" - using only the wardroom or main galley (if USN Lets you I bet Robert would much prefer the main galley) - prepare a "Battleship related" Meal for the guests for Opening Day of the Museum. Guaranteed to get outstanding ratings when aired on TEEVEE so food network will bite on it, and makes for huge publicity for Iowa (can you $ay Donation$$$?)

Please, let me know the outcome - I'd love to play a part in this.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
      Deck planking is cut a little differently than home style flooring. It also attached differently with bolts. The bolt hole is then filled with a wood plug. So if you turned the plank over, the countersink for the plug would be on the bottom. To countersink on the other side would actually wind up as a hole going all the way through the plank.
      Could the planks be both flipped over and shifted along their length, with new holes drilled so as to not share axii in common, and use double the number of plug for both the old holes and the new holes?

Comment

• In several places this will not work as the angled cuts where the deck meets the structure and curvatures have special cut edges such as pictured below. Look closely at the stucture where the deck meets it. You would more then likely end up with a deck even when stoned that would be two different colors in too many places.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Dreadnought; 07 Nov 11,, 19:14.
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• This is a really great thread. My uncle in law was a crew member and still seems to be able to recall details at a flash. I am also currently building a 1/96 scale 10" rc model of the Iowa and all these pictures are great refrence material.

On a note more pertaining to the the current discussion. When the deck to the USS Nautilus was last replaced they used iron wood instead of teak wood. Not sure what the price difference was but I was curious if you planned to restore with the original material. I know sometimes with a museum ship exceptions are sometimes made (sometimes criminal in my mind). For instance on the Nautilus (forgive me but most my museum boat experience lies here) she was painted inproperly with an improper color pattern and the stern superstructure had to be re made due to rusting and the teak planking was omitted on the new section.

Comment

• Rogue Sub,

Welcome on board.

Care to introduce yourself to the rest of us? You can do it here:http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/wab...on-thread.html

If you need a guidance you might find it here:

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/wab...3-13-11-a.html

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/wab...val-guide.html

Hope you will have nice time around here.
            No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rogue Sub View Post
              This is a really great thread. My uncle in law was a crew member and still seems to be able to recall details at a flash. I am also currently building a 1/96 scale 10" rc model of the Iowa and all these pictures are great refrence material.

On a note more pertaining to the the current discussion. When the deck to the USS Nautilus was last replaced they used iron wood instead of teak wood. Not sure what the price difference was but I was curious if you planned to restore with the original material. I know sometimes with a museum ship exceptions are sometimes made (sometimes criminal in my mind). For instance on the Nautilus (forgive me but most my museum boat experience lies here) she was painted inproperly with an improper color pattern and the stern superstructure had to be re made due to rusting and the teak planking was omitted on the new section.
              Let me take a guess. You bought that fiberglass hull from The Scale Shipyard.
              Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• BB61Vet said: Whoa, wait, back up 3 posts... Set the wayback machine to "Ship's Galley" for a sec... MAJOR publicity idea that Pac Bat might enjoy using:

Invite Chef Robert Irvine out to do a "Dinner Impossible" - using only the wardroom or main galley (if USN Lets you I bet Robert would much prefer the main galley) - prepare a "Battleship related" Meal for the guests for Opening Day of the Museum. Guaranteed to get outstanding ratings when aired on TEEVEE so food network will bite on it, and makes for huge publicity for Iowa (can you $ay Donation$$$?)

That's fine with me, but I also want the pastry chef that was on the Missouri when we first reactivated her. He made apple pies so delicious I thought I was a kid back in Wisconsin eating a pie my grandmother made from the apples in the trees in our back yard.

As far as galley chefs go, Captain Pickering (the last Commander of LBNSY) told me that on one of the Carriers he served on he spent almost the entire 6 month cruise on Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwiches because the food prepared was horrible to try to eat.

Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes you're not.

Comment

• Just remember! These museum ships are intended to be as authentic as possible!
                  So, if you need one I have a source for the correct "powdered eggs"!

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
                    Let me take a guess. You bought that fiberglass hull from The Scale Shipyard.
                    My dad bought that same hull 20 years ago, and never did anything with it. (he's holding it for me now)

What I do find amusing are the few pictures of the Kentucky-the hull looks almost white-ish that it reminds me of that Scale Shipyard hull!

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayGhost1975 View Post
                      My dad bought that same hull 20 years ago, and never did anything with it. (he's holding it for me now)

What I do find amusing are the few pictures of the Kentucky-the hull looks almost white-ish that it reminds me of that Scale Shipyard hull!
                      Kentucky was painted with the standard Haze Gray topcoat. But when further construction was cancelled, it was not maintained. The old formula for Haze Gray in those days would soon oxidize and actually form an almost white powder on the surface. So if the lighting is in the right position, photos (on old celluloid film of those days) would make it look white.

Comment

• Speaking of paint, just how bad does the hull's port side look? I took at least 3 Mothball fleet cruises and noticed that the port side wasn't painted from Turret 2 on down.

Comment

• Yes its a scale shipyard hull. Im not sure anyone else manufactures this hull in this size. So, guess confirmed.

Comment

• Originally posted by GrayGhost1975 View Post
                            Speaking of paint, just how bad does the hull's port side look? I took at least 3 Mothball fleet cruises and noticed that the port side wasn't painted from Turret 2 on down.
                            If anything like us, probably sunbleached from seeing the sun constantly down one side for a prolonged period of time.
                            Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• I'm guessing that that unpainted area on the port side was due to the Iowa being up against another ship and there was minimal access to that area? Yes? No?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
                                I'm guessing that that unpainted area on the port side was due to the Iowa being up against another ship and there was minimal access to that area? Yes? No?
                                In a word, Yes.

Comment

Working...
                                X