Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting movie ....

Originally posted by Ytlas View Post
    President John F. Kennedy was on board the USNS Observation Island on 16 November 1963 to observe a Polaris launch, six days before his assassination. (First picture above)
    https://www.jfklibrary.org/Asset-Vie.../USG-03-J.aspx
    Neat little film thanks for posting Salty ....

Comment

• [QUOTE Of the three Fletcher's that I'd like to see participate each comes with an issue..[/QUOTE]

I didn't see anywhere in that story that said it had to be a Fletcher DD! Whad I miss?
      For cheap money (by Hollywood standards) we may even be able to provide underway action on Slater! Heck, even her weapons still work! Who needs CGI! It would be a good way to get her over the "nay-sayers" hump about firing up those engines and releasing the plates on the screws!
      I think it's time to try and use an acquaintance that seems to have Tom's ear!

Ahhh, but to dream! :whome:

Comment

• DE is a hard charger ...

Originally posted by SlaterDoc View Post
        [QUOTE Of the three Fletcher's that I'd like to see participate each comes with an issue..

I didn't see anywhere in that story that said it had to be a Fletcher DD! Whad I miss?
        For cheap money (by Hollywood standards) we may even be able to provide underway action on Slater! Heck, even her weapons still work! Who needs CGI! It would be a good way to get her over the "nay-sayers" hump about firing up those engines and releasing the plates on the screws!
        I think it's time to try and use an acquaintance that seems to have Tom's ear!

Ahhh, but to dream! :whome:[/QUOTE]

NavyDoc,

In the back of my mind I was aware that the Slater was probably the best "fit" of all the museum ships to go to "sea".
        It helps that there is not multiple agencies involved to "clear the decks" [ so to speak ] !!!!
        Imagine a "winter cruise to a south pacific island" and offer some relief from the ice bound Hudson while filming takes place, too!
        Now that would be a dream!

Comment

• Just occurred to me ....

While I was focused on ships, such as BBs, DDs, and the like, the easiest prop would be a "boat".... Perhaps a Gato class? Easier to move, less expense and FX a lot easier.... But I'd still like a hard charging DD captain 🎥....

Comment

• Interesting fact ..

Both Fletcher class DD's were struck by IJN Kamikazes on the starboard side of the ship.
            To the credit of the shipyards and several coats of USN Grey paint, the damage is hard to detect by the untrained eye..

USS Kidd Picture 1

While on picket station 11 April 1945, Kidd and her division mates, USS Black, USS Bullard, and USS Chauncey, with the help of Combat Air Patrol, repelled three air raids. That afternoon, a single enemy plane crashed into Kidd, on the starboard side killing 38 men and wounding 55 .....

USS Cassin Young Picture 2

Was struck for the second time by a enemy plane, when a low-flying aircraft hit her starboard side, striking her fire control room.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Follow up on Mark 15 torpedo ....

Back tracking a little bit on Fletcher - DD information, but its never to late to get out hopefully useful information....
              I was not aware that the Mark 15 reached designed speeds of 47 knots... until reading the placard ( see attached )
              That 47 knot setting certainly reduces the range, but if a DD is that close one would no doubt wish to make use of that much speed...
              Attached Files

Comment

• Boiler No. 1 ....

The manufacturers plate for the Babcock -Wilcox boiler built 1942 and installed in the fire room USS Cassin Young

fyi ....

designed pressure 684 psi
                hydrostatic test pressure 951 psi
                operating pressure [superheated outlet] 595 psi
                Attached Files
                Last edited by blidgepump; 20 Sep 16,, 18:37.

Comment

• Away all boats ......

Layovers are not as much adventure as when I was fresh out of college many moons past.
                  The local farm market report has cycled for the third time this evening on the radio.
                  So I am very appreciative of the internet guys and YouTube.
                  Tonight, an old Universal film starring Jeff Hunter in "Away All Boats".
                  A 1956 film about a captain on a APA during WWII.
                  Best part of the film is two (2) cameo roles by a couple of Fletcher DD's.
                  USS Robinson ( with a tripod mast ) and the USS Sigourney ( with a single pole mast ).
                  Made the evening go by with a little more interest ....
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Greyhounds ....

Perhaps there will be a Fletcher - DD movie made!

"Tom Hanks has had an impressive acting career spanning forty years. One of his most memorable roles was in Saving Private Ryan. He played a company commander who had to survive the carnage of the D-Day landing at Omaha Beach and then had to lead his men on a mission to save paratrooper and bring him home. Now, it appears that Hanks may be getting another World War 2 role."

Hanks wrote the screenplay for the new WWII movie “Greyhound,” Aaron Schneider (Get Low) has been brought on to direct. Apparently, Hanks wants the starring role for himself.

"The movie Greyhound is about a career Naval officer who is put in command of a Navy destroyer. The film follows him as he battles not just the enemy, but also his self-doubt and personal demons. This new film benefits from being set in the Navy, which is seldom the focus of a WWII movie. The budget is expected to be in the mid-30 million range and with Hanks in the lead role, this has the makings of another hit for Hanks."

Destroyers were fast, streamlined, and powerful vessels. They became a new class of ship being nicknamed “Tin cans” and the “Greyhounds of the sea”, the Destroyer would play an important role on the seas. Destroyers were first built at the end of the 19th century and by the early 1940’s the United States’ newly commissioned destroyers would be equipped with 5″ dual-purpose guns which were capable of surface and anti-aircraft fire. They also sported 20mm and 40mm anti-aircraft guns, quintuple mounts of 21″ torpedoes, and depth charge projectors. The ships displaced 2100 tons and were capable of speeds in excess of 35 knots, hence the nickname Greyhound......"

Sounds like a Fletcher to me !!!
                    Attached Files

Comment

• The Kidd ..

Thinking ahead .... should the Kidd serve as the "prop" for the upcoming film " Greyhound " and should the FX folks elect to stage this Fletcher Class - DD in open water,,,, perhaps constructing a bridle to "Tow" the ship in the Gulf of Mexico.... how much work would it take to release the ship from the dolphins ?

Not much is the apparent answer.... pictures attached for you consideration....
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by blidgepump; 22 Sep 16,, 05:23.

Comment

• Officers mess / operating room ...

Most of the "good stuff" has been preserved on board "The Kidd".
                        Officer's Mess / Operating room .... some operating equipment i.e. radar array ... 52 gun (?) single pole mast, lost of 20mm & Dual 40mms, depth charges ... and it floats, too.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• More Fletcher ....

Comparing the Kidd's officer's mess to the Cassin Young's....

The Kidd is precise and neat while the Young's appears to have had the meal interrupted by a "General Quarters" alarm ....
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Insulation .... Frame 79 ...

The Cassin Young has kept it's engine and boiler spaces high & tight.
                            This sample illustration offers a view of the overall general condition of the insulation.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Cleveland Diesel emergency genset ...

A diesel engine located starboard on the mess deck [ A-305-1E ] carried this warning sign.....
                              This is a 3-cylinder engine built December 1943 for Destroyer DD-793.

It is a two-stroke cycle uniflow aspirated diesel, which uses an engine driven roots blower to supply air to the cylinders for combustion.
                              Several of these surplus Cleveland Diesel engines appeared on the market at the end of hostilities.
                              In the end the Detroit Diesel surpassed the Cleveland engine for maritime use after WWII.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Atomic submarines don't require diesels ....

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                                A diesel engine located starboard on the mess deck [ A-305-1E ] carried this warning sign.....
                                This is a 3-cylinder engine built December 1943 for Destroyer DD-793.

It is a two-stroke cycle uniflow aspirated diesel, which uses an engine driven roots blower to supply air to the cylinders for combustion.
                                Several of these surplus Cleveland Diesel engines appeared on the market at the end of hostilities.
                                In the end the Detroit Diesel surpassed the Cleveland engine for maritime use after WWII.
                                "Postscript: When Winton Engine Corp. in 1930, was bought by GM. Its name officially changed to the Cleveland Diesel Engine Div. of General Motors Corp. in 1938.

By 1939 98% of the company's business was work performed for the government. In 1941 Cleveland Diesel expanded its plant, employed 5,000 people, and produced
                                the new diesel engines for an estimated 70% of the navy's submarines during World War II. Employment dropped to 1,000 in 1947, but expansion began again in the
                                1950s with the acquisition of plants at 2160 W. 106th St. and 8200 Clinton Rd. However, in the next decade, the navy needed fewer diesel engines with the development
                                of atomic-powered submarines, and GM closed the Cleveland plant in 1962, combining its operations with facilities in LaGrange, IL. What we know as Electromotive Division [EMD]"

Comment

Working...
                                X