Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double plated hull ....

Originally posted by DonBelt View Post
    She needed it. I saw her when she was drydocked a few years ago and her hull was fouled pretty bad. It's lucky she has the drydock right there. I haven't been out to see her in a few years, but I'm glad she's in good shape now.
    The hull on the Cassis Young is water tight!
    Complete access to both forward and aft engine rooms showed little water standing in the bilges.
    ( See attached illustration) While double plating the hull is controversial with some preservation
    groups the benefit of a dry ship is duly noted. There will be more on the engine rooms later.
    Did I mention the outstanding preservation of this DD and the countless hours the volunteers have invested collecting parts to restore
    a 1950's operational status?
    Attached Files

Comment

• Under the brow ...

The Cassin Young is docked in the traditional manner... ( i.e., the ship is tied up to the dock on the "port" side) with the brow extended forward.
      A wooden platform covered with rubber acts a fender as well as a painter's raft. The double plating of the hull can be seen in the second picture.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Stern detail ....

There has been some exchange of cooperation between the museum ships and the "pistols" on these " tear drop depth charges " are such an example.
        The pistol marked with a white arrow are reproductions and add to the sharp detail. The pistol marked with the red arrow is an original .
        Note that the remaining pistols on the rack are copies and made of Plastic!
        Attached Files

Comment

• amother view of the detail to restore ....

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
          There has been some exchange of cooperation between the museum ships and the "pistols" on these " tear drop depth charges " are such an example.
          The pistol marked with a white arrow are reproductions and add to the sharp detail. The pistol marked with the red arrow is an original .
          Note that the remaining pistols on the rack are copies and made of Plastic!
          another view of the detail of the stern depth charge rack. Nicely done.

And notice the Sound powered jack.
          My personal tour guide and really neat person to visit with is a retired telephone service man and has restored the sound powered system through out this Fletcher - DD.
          Attached Files

Comment

• I did notice the sound powered jacks immediately since one of the bakelite covers is a bit marred. Luckily I have buckets of these things so I don't have to look at marred ones.

Comment

• Sound powered phones ....

Yes, those little details make an impression.
              Steve's background in the phone business has had his talents used extensively across the ship.
              The sound powered phones are actually in service and used by the volunteers to communicate.
              To prove his point Steve provided this staged test of the phones during my "inspection tour".
              Attached Files

Comment

• Baton Rouge ----

Originally posted by blidgepump View Post
                another view of the detail of the stern depth charge rack. Nicely done.

And notice the Sound powered jack.
                My personal tour guide and really neat person to visit with is a retired telephone service man and has restored the sound powered system through out this Fletcher - DD.
                Many thanks to my friend in Baton Rouge and thread Fletcher-DD thread follower for sharing these pictures.

Work order no. # 1 ---- Removed ten (10) Mk-9 depth charges from aft starboard track, sanded them down in preparation for painting, and repaired wasted metal on them.
                Attached Files

Comment

• More on the Mark IX Depth Charge ...

Per BuOrd ORDNANCE PAMPHLET NO. 866 12 February 1944

Depth Charges Mark 9 and modifications are teardrop shaped, anti-submarine weapons which have higher sinking speeds and more stable underwater flight characteristics than the cylindrical, symmetrically-loaded Depth Charges Mark 6 and Mark 7 and modifications. These improved characteristics permit greater attack accuracy than has been possible in the past.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Bow view ....

The Cassin Young is berth in the old Boston Navy yard which closed in 1974.
                    A significant artifact is the drydock still in service today.
                    The view of the DD's bow is cluttered with scaffolding used for restoration by volunteers.
                    A benefit of having a personal tour was the ability to travel throughout the ship before other visitors arrived.
                    The USS Constitution is seen in the next photo resting on blocks.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Three views ....

A favorite photo to capture is standing with my back to the jack looking aft.
                      These three photos compare the Cassin Young, The Sullivans & the Kidd.
                      It's always interesting to view the securing of the anchor chain.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• 51 mount .....

What is see from outside and the mystery of the inner workings of a 5 -inch gun mount are illustrated in this diagram.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Fire drill ....

The volunteers have done well collecting artifacts from "other ships".
                          As the Cassin Young is berthed in a NP fire suppression is actively addressed.
                          This photo illustrates that point with the fire fighting gear being displayed and maintained in working order.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• 52 gun rigged for painting ....

The continual care for the Cassin Young requires the oversight of the NP before any work commences.
                            It is the mission of the volunteers to maintain the DD in a Post WWII configuration and the attention to detail requires the assistance of archivists.
                            The 52 gun was rigged with scaffolding on the day of inspection as seen in this photo.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• 52-gun with tripod ....

The volunteers have built an extensive network over the years with other museum ships and various warehouses to assemble material to outfit a 1950's era DD.
                              As the continuous maintenance performed by the Cassin Young staff is noted, so are the modifications made to support their activities.
                              The tri-pod looking device on top of the 52-gun provides a method to "high-line" acquired items onto the ship.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Do they have a functioning fire main?

Comment

Working...
                                X