Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And after that obscuria, I never want to hear you complain about my Civil War postings anymore, Dick!

Actually, weren't the Roman Naval Legions the first formal marines?

All that said, seriously, thanks. As usual, I learned a lot from you.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
      And after that obscuria, I never want to hear you complain about my Civil War postings anymore, Dick!

Actually, weren't the Roman Naval Legions the first formal marines?

All that said, seriously, thanks. As usual, I learned a lot from you.
      I have nothing against any postings about the War Between the States (aka the Civil War). I personally think the war should never have happened.

However, I do have a sincere interest in the various firearms used. Probably that interest was sparked about 45 or so years ago when I met the son of the inventor of the Spencer rifle.
      Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
        I have nothing against any postings about the War Between the States (aka the Civil War). I personally think the war should never have happened.

Yeah, US Grant said the Civil War was the atonement for having gone to war with Mexico in 1846. He did not believe in the war but knew he had to serve.

However, I do have a sincere interest in the various firearms used. Probably that interest was sparked about 45 or so years ago when I met the son of the inventor of the Spencer rifle.

Wow! That is someone I would have loved to have met!
        Are you going to post again or is it an open thread?
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
          Are you going to post again or is it an open thread?
          It's an open thread.

By the way, when I met Spencer he already was quite elderly but busy designing his second airplane (he first soloed an amphibian plane in 1915). I have a story of him on this board under airplane quiz showing his SeaBee II that was built for Bush Pilots in Canada and Alaska after WW II.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• A game of Tug-O-War between what 2 ships helped change naval propulsion forever. As seen on TV.
            Craig Johnson

Comment

• One of the ships served in Africa and the East Indies, taking part in the Second Anglo-Burmese War.
              Craig Johnson

Comment

• HMS Rattler (Screw Drive Propeller) vs HMS Alecto (Paddlewheel)

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                  HMS Rattler (Screw Drive Propeller) vs HMS Alecto (Paddlewheel)
                  Correct your question.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hmsrattler.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1468812
                  Craig Johnson

Comment

• This war started because a ships captain lost an ear

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                      This war started because a ships captain lost an ear
                      It was the catalyst for the War of Austrian Secession and the part in North America was known as the War of Jenkins's Ear.

The war got it's name from on merchant pirate cum smuggler, one Robert Jenkins. His vessel was bordered by Spanish Coast Guard in Caribbean, at that time the area was under Spanish control. The Spanish Captain had Jenkins tied to the mast of his ship and then cut his ear off and told him the same would happen to his King if the sovereign would try to smuggle in Spanish territory again. The grievance smoldered for years from 1731 to 1739 when it was used by Britain as a reason to go to war with Spain. It merged into the War of Austrian Secession in 1742 and lasted until 1748. The British lost badly and at the end had to cede territory to Spain.

The only good outcome for the British was the treaty guaranteed the right for the colony of Georgia and formalized the border between the British colonies in North America and Spanish Florida.
                      Mark Twain

Comment

• Correct good sir.

Your question

Comment

• What vessel conducted the first OPERATIONAL under way replenishment?
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• USS Maumee, AO-2. 1917

Comment

• All yours Don!

The USS Maumee, a fleet oiler, UNREPed a squadron of destroyers which were deploying to Great Britain shortly after the US entered WW 1.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underw...shment#History
                              Mark Twain

Comment

• This ship was the first surface vessel in the USN to be powered by diesel engines. Extra points if you also know the name of the XO and CHENG (same person in both positions).

Comment

Working...
                                X