Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
    Do falcons dislike Texas?
    Probably get sea sick so they might prefer to take a plane.

We have one nest down here in the large parking lot in front of the piers at NAS Alameda. The nest is in one of the very tall light fixtures.

Comment

Considering they are under an aircraft elevator, that probably isn't the safest place to be nesting during an open ocean voyage.

Comment

No, just cutting torches and wrecking balls.

Comment

• Wonder what they taste like? Chicken?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            Wonder what they taste like? Chicken?

RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

• Footage of the SINKEX of TUSCALOOSA. CA-37 sure looks small in that video... ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
                Footage of the SINKEX of TUSCALOOSA. CA-37 sure looks small in that video... ;)
                LST-1187

I found it hard to believe that a gun cruiser was still around to be sunk in 2014.....and I was right. CA-37 was scrapped in 1959.

Not your mistake, of course.....but the PAO's.

Comment

• It seems a remarkably dumb statement, really. One has to wonder who put together that video...

Comment

• Posted: July 21, 2014 10:40 AM

Ex-Constellation to Depart Bremerton on July 31

BREMERTON, Wash. — The decommissioned aircraft carrier Constellation (CV 64) will be towed from the Navy’s inactive ships maintenance facility in Bremerton July 31 to International Shipbreaking Ltd.’s ship dismantling facility in Brownsville, Texas, for complete dismantling and recycling, Naval Sea Systems Command said in a July 21 release.

The ex-Constellation is expected to arrive in Brownsville in January.

Because the shipyard is an industrial environment, there will not be an opportunity to enter the facility in advance of the departure.

Constellation was the second Kitty Hawk-class aircraft carrier to be built. It was laid down on Sept. 14, 1957, at New York Naval Shipyard in Brooklyn, N.Y., and was the last U. S. aircraft carrier to be built at a yard outside of Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Co. The ship was commissioned on Oct. 27, 1961.

After nearly 42 years of commissioned service, Constellation was decommissioned at the Naval Air Station North Island in San Diego on Aug. 6, 2003, and was towed to the inactive ship maintenance facility in Bremerton in September of that year.

Constellation had 21 deployments to the Western Pacific including tours in the Indian Ocean and Arabian Gulf. The ship received numerous awards during its service, including Navy Unit Commendations, Navy Battle Efficiency Awards, Navy Expeditionary Service Medals, National Defense Service Medals, Vietnam Service Medals, Humanitarian Service Medals and Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross Meritorious Unit Citation Medals. Constellation is credited with a Presidential Unit Citation, and two of the officers flying from the ship earned Navy Crosses and became the first aces of the Vietnam War.

Comment

• ex-USS Odgen (LPD-5) really didn't seem to want to go.

DVIDS - Video - Ex-USS Ogden Receives Fire from ROKS Submarine and HnoMS Frigate during RIMPAC 2014 SINKEX

Comment

Posted: July 21, 2014 10:40 AM

Ex-Constellation to Depart Bremerton on July 31

BREMERTON, Wash. — The decommissioned aircraft carrier Constellation (CV 64) will be towed from the Navy’s inactive ships maintenance facility in Bremerton July 31 to International Shipbreaking Ltd.’s ship dismantling facility in Brownsville, Texas, for complete dismantling and recycling, Naval Sea Systems Command said in a July 21 release.

The ex-Constellation is expected to arrive in Brownsville in January.

Because the shipyard is an industrial environment, there will not be an opportunity to enter the facility in advance of the departure.

Constellation was the second Kitty Hawk-class aircraft carrier to be built. It was laid down on Sept. 14, 1957, at New York Naval Shipyard in Brooklyn, N.Y., and was the last U. S. aircraft carrier to be built at a yard outside of Newport News Shipbuilding and Drydock Co. The ship was commissioned on Oct. 27, 1961.

After nearly 42 years of commissioned service, Constellation was decommissioned at the Naval Air Station North Island in San Diego on Aug. 6, 2003, and was towed to the inactive ship maintenance facility in Bremerton in September of that year.

Constellation had 21 deployments to the Western Pacific including tours in the Indian Ocean and Arabian Gulf. The ship received numerous awards during its service, including Navy Unit Commendations, Navy Battle Efficiency Awards, Navy Expeditionary Service Medals, National Defense Service Medals, Vietnam Service Medals, Humanitarian Service Medals and Republic of Vietnam Gallantry Cross Meritorious Unit Citation Medals. Constellation is credited with a Presidential Unit Citation, and two of the officers flying from the ship earned Navy Crosses and became the first aces of the Vietnam War.
                        I just noticed this. My first ship. "Connie" (I never called her that; I sort of have a thing about properly referring to a ship by name; but everyone else did) was a bit unique in that San Diego was her only home port through her entire operational career. I sort of grew up seeing that big number 64 on her island, across the Bay when driving on Interstate 5. I don't much care for the way she's going out. I would have preferred turning her into a reef, but I guess none of us gets a vote on those things. She was a good ship . . . and a pain in the ass too. Kind of like most women. :hug:

Comment

• Originally posted by desertswo View Post
                          I just noticed this. My first ship. "Connie" (I never called her that; I sort of have a thing about properly referring to a ship by name; but everyone else did) ...........
                          Curious.

I think the only terms I used when referring to the ship was either the proper name or just "the ship". Never "she", "her", or if there was a nickname.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamara View Post
                            Curious.

I think the only terms I used when referring to the ship was either the proper name or just "the ship". Never "she", "her", or if there was a nickname.
                            Grew up calling them "she" and "her," because my Dad, the Warrant Boatswain did. I've never thought of them as anything else. I tell you one thing I was death on, and I'm sure there was more than one young sailor who thought I was a major prick, but don't ever, upon pain of death or excommunication, refer to a ship as "the boat." I'll take away your fucking birthday before you get the words out of your mouth. Submariners can call their ships that; it's their sandbox, but a "boat" is otherwise something that can be carried on a ship (and please don't throw that heavy lift rig that dragged USS Cole back to CONUS), and a destroyer, cruiser, et al. isn't a boat.

Comment

• looking back I don;t remember to many ships that crewmembers called by a nickname.

Connie, of course, The Shitty Kitty (Kitty Hawk) (had a cousin on her) The Moose (USS Moosbrugger). And the Moose played on that nickname by having a set of moose horns mounted on the forward superstructure below the bridge windows for a while.

It seems that CVs do the nickname thing

The only ship that I was on that got a nickname was the Nassau. When I was on her, for the second time, in the mid 90s, we took to calling her the "Nasty" Because she was. From the state of the crews uniforms to the general lack of cleanliness of the ship. Very unprofessional. Couldn't wait to get off her. One of the 2 worst ships I've deployed on.

Ships are always referred to as She/Her. Even Marines know that

Comment

• Now that I think of it, the Yosemite was called the Yo-yo but I don't know if the crew called it that. Me, I called it the Yoyonovich but only to those around my ship and never to any of its crew.

Comment

Working...
                                X