No announcement yet.

ghost fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The USNS Observation Island (AGM-23) just arrived at the Pacific side of the Panama Canal heading to the East Coast for her deactivation.

OBSERVATION ISLAND - Research/survey vessel: current position and details | IMO 8835449, MMSI 367213000, Callsign NRPP | Registered in USA - AIS Marine Traffic

Comment

• Thanks for the note. I missed that her successor had finally worked all her kinks out: US Navy news.

Comment

• ex-USS Forestal

USS Forrestal just passed through the channel in Brownsville. She is now at her final station.
        Attached Files

Comment

• That's a lot of steel, I hope it goes to American firms to make American things.

Comment

• As I have said before somewhere in here, the steel from that ship should be used in the construction of the next carrier! How appropriate would it be for Forrestal or Saratoga's steel to be used in the construction of the next one, USS JFK CVN-79! Especially since the Navy paid Allstar Metals 1 cent to dismantle her.

Comment

• SHOSHONE is departing Suisun Bay today for hull cleaning and then Brownsville: Times-Herald article.

Comment

• Originally posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
                SHOSHONE is departing Suisun Bay today for hull cleaning and then Brownsville: Times-Herald article.
                What a change from 18 months ago when the Dismantlers paid all the way up to $3 million for one ship and over $1+ million for the Holland out here.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                  What a change from 18 months ago when the Dismantlers paid all the way up to $3 million for one ship and over $1+ million for the Holland out here.
                  Sounds ridiculous we tax payers pay to build, modify and maintain a ship. And now we need to pay to to have it dismantled? We should get something back in the coffers for the sale of the ship. Of course the scrapper will need to make something for the sale of the materials.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken_NJ View Post
                    Sounds ridiculous we tax payers pay to build, modify and maintain a ship. And now we need to pay to to have it dismantled? We should get something back in the coffers for the sale of the ship. Of course the scrapper will need to make something for the sale of the materials.
                    Something seems very fishy about the whole thing! Didn't they spend a whole lotta money cleaning her of toxics in prep for sinking? Aren't the older ships more toxic than one that was in-service into the 90's? What's the "big" difference in dismantling a conventional carrier, other than it's a much bigger ship? Ther's a whole lotta steel there! That includes a lot more precious metals (copper, aluminum and etc)! :confu:
                    Plus, I read somewhere that they "awarded" one carrier each to the domestic breakers. Talk about "spreading the wealth around"!
                    We keep discovering that agencies in "our" government are up to no good. I wonder what the next headline will be!
                    I don't think it is an accident of fate that most of the ship breakers are just a few miles from our southern border!:hug:

Comment

• Unfortunately this is the world we've come to live in, where nothing seems to be on the upright anymore. I always liked how one govt agency can get funding to have a building built, use it, 20 years later when they need a new facility, they get more taxpayer money to buy it, but then the old building is sold to a different govt agency which of course funds that purchase with taxpayer money. But to give the ship breakers the benefit of the doubt, a lot probably depends on the price of metals at the time of sale or the projected price and the US is a "motivated" seller because we don't want to hold onto the ships and be the target for environmental lawsuits. So if we make no money or lose a dollar it's probably worth it to the agency tasked with getting rid of the mothballed ships. Besides the super carriers are a different story from the other ships anyway. Foreign ship breakers were forbidden by law to buy them and domestic ship breakers had to go thru some sort of certification process didn't they? I seem to recall this conversation coming up before on another thread- or maybe this one.

Comment

• This is true cause even though the Forestals are old the Nimitzs use similar hull designs which we don't want getting into the wrong hands ;). This will be an interesting turn of events with our carriers.
                        RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

• Sure, especially with the number of countries now trying their hand at carrier building or at least China and India. You wouldn't want to give anyone a hand up that you might end up regretting later. Not that the Chinese wouldn't be able to place someone on the workforce at All Star Metals if they are using undocumented guest workers anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by NavyDoc View Post
                            Something seems very fishy about the whole thing! Didn't they spend a whole lotta money cleaning her of toxics in prep for sinking? Aren't the older ships more toxic than one that was in-service into the 90's? What's the "big" difference in dismantling a conventional carrier, other than it's a much bigger ship? Ther's a whole lotta steel there! That includes a lot more precious metals (copper, aluminum and etc)! :confu:
                            Plus, I read somewhere that they "awarded" one carrier each to the domestic breakers. Talk about "spreading the wealth around"!
                            We keep discovering that agencies in "our" government are up to no good. I wonder what the next headline will be!
                            I don't think it is an accident of fate that most of the ship breakers are just a few miles from our southern border!:hug:
                            Nothing was done to clean the ships. The scrappers need to pay for PCB remediation, asbestos remediation and every other kind of hazmat removal in addition to the cost of towing them to Brownsville. These ships are full of nasty stuff outlawed back in late 1970s you don't find on a more modern vessel. The newest vessel being removed from Suisun Bay was built in 1971. Finally, of these three, WYMAN is a small ship with limited value to the scrappers.

It will be interesting to see how much the government will have to pay to dismantle the two buoy tenders in the SBRF -- they are full of nasty stuff but offer little steel and other materials to resell.

That's not to say that MARAD is without its problems, as this document from the GAO outlines: Ship Disposal Program Needs Improved Communications and Updated Strategic Plan.
                            Last edited by Admiral Nelson; 20 Feb 14,, 22:00.

Comment

Nothing was done to clean the ships. The scrappers need to pay for PCB remediation, asbestos remediation and every other kind of hazmat removal in addition to the cost of towing them to Brownsville. These ships are full of nasty stuff outlawed back in late 1970s you don't find on a more modern vessel. The newest vessel being removed from Suisun Bay was built in 1971. Finally, of these three, WYMAN is a small ship with limited value to the scrappers.
                              Takes a long time to do legal asbestos abatements. Can't use power tools to cut into insulation, only hand tools. There are countless layers of paint on the insulation and while one person is cutting, another is spraying amended water (water with light oil) to stop the release of fibers into the air. Main steam piping insulation is usually 4" - 5.5" thick and very heavy when saturated with water. In the early 90's we were only allowed to work up to four hours at a time before a break was necessary. After the break, fresh clean respirators were required per OSHA regs. And the best part was at the end of the shift when everyone was exhausted, was to form a chain and start tossing out the heavy double bagged hazmat from deck to deck and off the ship. :)

Comment

Nothing was done to clean the ships. The scrappers need to pay for PCB remediation, asbestos remediation and every other kind of hazmat removal in addition to the cost of towing them to Brownsville.
                                I think 2 conversations are crossing paths.

Forrestal was at least partially remediated in preperation to reef her. I think the intent of the original question around this was that remediation taken into consideration when they bid her out for scrapping.
                                The Marad ships have not been remediated at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X