No announcement yet.

ghost fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tug Scorpius with her tow the USNS H. H. HESS in the Miraflores Locks of the Panama Canal Feb 17, 2011, eastbound for Brownsville TX and her dismantling:

Comment

• Nice views. I always thought she was a pretty ship. I did see some pics of her boiler room posted somewhere, though, showing a completely melted boiler.

Comment

• Originally posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
        Nice views. I always thought she was a pretty ship. I did see some pics of her boiler room posted somewhere, though, showing a completely melted boiler.
        THANKS! Heres another of her (looking very small) crossing the Miraflores Lake towards the Pedro Miguel Locks. You can see the Bridge of the Americas in the background looking towards the Pacific OCean:

Comment

• Here is the article about her boiler mishap.

Comment

Here is the article about her boiler mishap.
            Impressive! Thanks!!!! If she anchors out in Gatun Lake overnight (as the last few tows did) I will try and get a few last webcam grabs in the morning before she disappears off into oblivion.

Comment

• I drive by the 2 swing arm Tico's all the time at the Philly yard. Which 2 ships are there? Does anyone know?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                tbm, what were those ships that are usually docked there? I think one of the docents on the Hornet last year told me they're off-shore refueling ships.
                What is currently around the Hornet:

Opposite on Pier 3:
                Petersburg (Transport Oiler) and the Cape Mohican (Heavy Lift Roll on Roll off)

Pier 2:
                Gem State, Keystone State, Grand Canyon State (Crane ships)
                Adm. Callaghan (Roll on Roll off)
                Algol, Capella (Fast Lift)
                One other behind the "States" that I can't get a look at the name

Pier 1:
                Cape Orlando (Roll on Roll off)

Comment

• USNS H. H. HESS in tow behind the Tug Scorpius at the Gatun Locks of the Panama Canal today Feb. 18, 2011 enroute Brownsville TX for dismantling:

Comment

• That first pic is outstanding, thanks. :)

Also, the Mare Island ship recycling facility formally opens today. KGO-TV news story.

Comment

That first pic is outstanding, thanks. :)

Also, the Mare Island ship recycling facility formally opens today. KGO-TV news story.
                      I wish the first webcam was HD. The second webcam is HD but the ships are almost always too far from the camera to get a decent shot. THANKS for the news link.

Comment

• Interesting story. Wonder what they will do when the reserve fleet has no more ships for them to dismantle?

Comment

• They probably don't need to worry about that for a decade. It will be interesting to see if the pace of dismantling slows as the ships in worst condition are removed.

Comment

• I actually noticed the other day while driving by that there are at least 3 of the old Mk26 Ticonderoga's being dismantled at the Philly yard.

Comment

• SS President should be on the way now to Mare Island for scrapping: Benicia Herald Article.

This Contra Costa Times article suggests that a vessel was lost last year when under tow to the breakers. Anyone know what ship this might have been?

Edit: Webcam images are now up of PRESIDENT's arrival.
                              Last edited by Admiral Nelson; 08 Mar 11,, 23:19.

Comment

• With the events in Japan unfolding, has there been any movement to reactive any Ready Reserve Ships to assist them?

Comment

Working...
                                X