ghost fleet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by T_igger_cs_30 View Post
    Not a naval man by any stretch of the imagination, but I do enjoy perusing the naval threads. One thing that as always made me curious is, I am amazed at how many ships, boats etc the US has around in retirement, so here is my question...........

What percentage of them could be reactivated if necassary, or are they all scrap metal just waiting to be taken apart? I understand some will be museum pieces.
    According to the November report the National Defense Reserve Fleet has a total 184 ships in the 'ghost fleets', only 49 (less than 1/3rd) of those ships in their Ready Reserve Force, most of those (35 of 49) are Roll-on/Roll-off ships. None of the combatants with the exception of the battleships(?), and none of the auxillary/supply ships are listed as in the Ready Reserve Force, all are listed for 'disposal'. The list is of course somewaht out of date as at least 10 of the ships listed in their inventory have already been towed to Brownsville for scrapping, are already scrapped, or are in the process of being cleaned at BAE Systems SF for their final journey.

http://www.marad.dot.gov/documents/i101130.pdf

Comment

• I think they are kept on the list until the ship breaker confirms in writing the terms of the disposal contract have been met.

What I find interesting is wondering if the US won't miss some of these old ships, if and when, a major problem happens. like in 1939 or 1941. I read the navy was looking at anything (back then) to reactivate or use, because of the threats in the Pacific and Atlantic.

Comment

• Most of the stuff being dismantled now are 45+ year old break bulk cargo ships, along with even older single hull oilers. They won't be missed. :)

A different question can be fairly asked about the recent SINKEXing of nearly the entire SPRUANCE class destroyers, which probably wasn't the best idea.
        Last edited by Admiral Nelson; 17 Jan 11,, 03:16.

Comment

• Originally posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
          A different question can be fairly asked about the recent SINKEKing of nearly the entire SPRUANCE class destroyers, which probably wasn't the best idea.
          Especially all those that had additional armor added to them.
          Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Additionally, that was a lot of spare parts for the Ticonderoga class!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
              That TBM is a real beaut, it looks like it was time well-spent; I'm glad you guys are keeping it down in the hanger bay below decks away from the elements (though the last time I was there I noticed they put the SH-3 up on the flight deck). Last year, I ran into one of the guys doing the work your doing (he was working on the forward elevator shaft when I saw him), and he was kind enough to take my son & I into some of the spaces not generally open to the public. That's a big ship! This should look familiar

Also been on the docent-led tours through the citadel and the CIC and the Admiral's Cabin and all that, very interesting. Looks like you did a good job on the island!
              Should Stick still be reading this thread the TBM just took a big step forward today. Two of our Air Group guys just got back from Idaho Falls with TWO complete sets of bomb bay doors for an Avenger. We have only been looking for 12 years now. We got the two sets complete with hinges and some new ribs. Even better we got two actuators so I can hook them up to the hydraulic system in order to operate them with the pump on manual. The very, very best part was the price ...$500 versus $15,000 made to order. Looks like it is time to get the rivet gun and bucking tools out after a long sleep.

Comment

• Daver6's Flickr photosets now include DAWN and H. H. HESS. We'll be looking for the canal views from dmwnc1959.... ;)

Comment

Daver6's Flickr photosets now include DAWN and H. H. HESS. We'll be looking for the canal views from dmwnc1959.... ;)
                  Argh, I feel the weight of the world now on my shoulders..... ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                    Should Stick still be reading this thread the TBM just took a big step forward today. Two of our Air Group guys just got back from Idaho Falls with TWO complete sets of bomb bay doors for an Avenger. We have only been looking for 12 years now. We got the two sets complete with hinges and some new ribs. Even better we got two actuators so I can hook them up to the hydraulic system in order to operate them with the pump on manual. The very, very best part was the price ...$500 versus $15,000 made to order. Looks like it is time to get the rivet gun and bucking tools out after a long sleep.
                    Yes, still here!

I'll be on board again in a month or two, hope to see your handiwork first-hand! I'm assuming you'll be keeping her below-decks, away from the elements?
                    "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Are any of the west coast ships being considered for SinkEx in the near future?

Comment

Daver6's Flickr photosets now include DAWN and H. H. HESS. We'll be looking for the canal views from dmwnc1959.... ;)
                        The SS Bay went through the canal Jan 30th enroute Chesapeake VA for dismantling;

Comment

• Nice one. What's the tall ship, there?

Comment

• Mare Island dry dock alive

On Friday, Dry Dock #3, was flooded in preparation to take their first ship for dismantling. Big day for the Mare Island dry docks which have been empty a long time. Definitely a more cost effective way of dealing with the ships than cleaning in San Francisco and then dragging them all the way to Texas. The first ship set to arrive today, Feb. 2nd, at the dry dock. However, it seems wind conditions have delayed the arrival of the Solon Thurman until the 3rd. Maybe...

Stories below

Ship from reserve fleet to arrive today at Vallejo's Mare Island dry dock for dismantling - Vallejo Times Herald

1st ship to be recycled at Mare Island « The Benicia Herald

Mare Island ship dismantling project start comes up dry, for now - Vallejo Times Herald

Get to go up to the fleet next Wednesday after a long hiatus due to movement of all the ships over the last few months so the Hornet was put on hold.

Comment

• tbm3fan, I don't suppose you know what the other three ships are that need to be disposed of this year, do you?
                              Last edited by Admiral Nelson; 03 Feb 11,, 14:42.

Comment

Daver6's Flickr photosets now include DAWN and H. H. HESS. We'll be looking for the canal views from dmwnc1959....
                                ;)
                                The ALLIE B arrived at the Pacific Anchorage of the Panama Canal this morning with the SS DAWN in tow. She should be transiting the canal within the next 72 hours.

Originally posted by Admiral Nelson View Post
                                Nice one. What's the tall ship, there?
                                That is the cruise ship STAR CLIPPER.

Star Clippers Sailing Tall Ship Cruises

Here are two more webcam grabs of her:

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpa...Ad_3558_15.jpg

http://www.travelserver.net/travelpa...Ad_3552_13.jpg
                                Last edited by dmwnc1959; 03 Feb 11,, 15:32.

Comment

Working...
                                X