Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B-52H returns to service after 7 years

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/i-l...y-4eec4c8bf5cf
    Mods move this if its a problem but the battleships of the air are being dragged
    Back to service,the air force is doing the smart thing , to bad the navy isn't as far
    Sighted

Best to put this in the Aviation section.

And there's a world of difference between a heavy bomber and a battleship.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by blackzz28 View Post
      https://medium.com/war-is-boring/i-l...y-4eec4c8bf5cf
      Mods move this if its a problem but the battleships of the air are being dragged
      Back to service,the air force is doing the smart thing , to bad the navy isn't as far
      Sighted
      A heavily damaged air frame of was replaced by one in storage. It's not like they dragged a B-47 out of mothball to replace a B-52. It's expensive to maintain vessels in mothball and borderline useless once a class has outlived its usefulness.

Comment

Yeah there's a big difference between sealing an aircraft up in the desert and keeping a ship from rusting into the sea.

Comment

We need a good "zombie bomber" joke. And I can see a new SyFy movie here!

But seriously: 7 years and they can recover it for duty? Fantastic work.

Comment

Shoot, that plane's older than me! Amazing that a 54-year old strategic bomber is still flying over a half century later . . . .
            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

That last B-52 rolled off the assembly line in 1962.

When the B-2 retires in 2035, the crew will transition to fly the B-52.

Yes, that is your grandpa's B-52....
              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                Shoot, that plane's older than me! Amazing that a 54-year old strategic bomber is still flying over a half century later . . . .
                It's perfectly normal for the pilot of a given aircraft to be younger than the aircraft. If I had to guess I'd say that was more common than having an older pilot.

Comment

Its a good design and I am glad that it survived the test of time.

Comment

While its great we can bring back boneyard B-52s if we need to I really have to say it would seem to be just about time to seriously be looking at developing its replacement...

I really kind of think that right around the point that the backbone of our strategic bomber fleet hits the century mark it would be a good time to start rolling some new airframes and if we get serious about a replacement now that should be right about the time we would hit full serial production.

I'm not saying make something completely out of this world sci-fi performance wise....but a bit of performance increase a bit of rcs reduction, and a plan of ease of maintenance while doing something about the annoying pogo wing wheels would seem sensible while having airframes with a whole new lifespan and planned electronics upgrades for a century make some sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Maxor View Post
                      While its great we can bring back boneyard B-52s if we need to I really have to say it would seem to be just about time to seriously be looking at developing its replacement...

I really kind of think that right around the point that the backbone of our strategic bomber fleet hits the century mark it would be a good time to start rolling some new airframes and if we get serious about a replacement now that should be right about the time we would hit full serial production.

I'm not saying make something completely out of this world sci-fi performance wise....but a bit of performance increase a bit of rcs reduction, and a plan of ease of maintenance while doing something about the annoying pogo wing wheels would seem sensible while having airframes with a whole new lifespan and planned electronics upgrades for a century make some sense.
                      Well lucky for you, it's called the LRS-B (Long Range Strike Bomber). It's not a simple bomb truck, but it is suppose to be "relatively" affordable. Could see a contact awarded this year!

Comment

Working...
                      X