X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JA Boomer
    replied
    Originally posted by Maxor View Post
    While its great we can bring back boneyard B-52s if we need to I really have to say it would seem to be just about time to seriously be looking at developing its replacement...

I really kind of think that right around the point that the backbone of our strategic bomber fleet hits the century mark it would be a good time to start rolling some new airframes and if we get serious about a replacement now that should be right about the time we would hit full serial production.

I'm not saying make something completely out of this world sci-fi performance wise....but a bit of performance increase a bit of rcs reduction, and a plan of ease of maintenance while doing something about the annoying pogo wing wheels would seem sensible while having airframes with a whole new lifespan and planned electronics upgrades for a century make some sense.
    Well lucky for you, it's called the LRS-B (Long Range Strike Bomber). It's not a simple bomb truck, but it is suppose to be "relatively" affordable. Could see a contact awarded this year!

Leave a comment:

• Maxor
    replied
    While its great we can bring back boneyard B-52s if we need to I really have to say it would seem to be just about time to seriously be looking at developing its replacement...

I really kind of think that right around the point that the backbone of our strategic bomber fleet hits the century mark it would be a good time to start rolling some new airframes and if we get serious about a replacement now that should be right about the time we would hit full serial production.

I'm not saying make something completely out of this world sci-fi performance wise....but a bit of performance increase a bit of rcs reduction, and a plan of ease of maintenance while doing something about the annoying pogo wing wheels would seem sensible while having airframes with a whole new lifespan and planned electronics upgrades for a century make some sense.

Leave a comment:

• Versus
    replied
    Its a good design and I am glad that it survived the test of time.

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy
    replied
    Originally posted by Stitch View Post
    Shoot, that plane's older than me! Amazing that a 54-year old strategic bomber is still flying over a half century later . . . .
    It's perfectly normal for the pilot of a given aircraft to be younger than the aircraft. If I had to guess I'd say that was more common than having an older pilot.

Leave a comment:

• gunnut
    replied
    That last B-52 rolled off the assembly line in 1962.

When the B-2 retires in 2035, the crew will transition to fly the B-52.

Yes, that is your grandpa's B-52....

Leave a comment:

• Stitch
    replied
    Shoot, that plane's older than me! Amazing that a 54-year old strategic bomber is still flying over a half century later . . . .

Leave a comment:

• jlvfr
    replied
    We need a good "zombie bomber" joke. And I can see a new SyFy movie here!

But seriously: 7 years and they can recover it for duty? Fantastic work.

Leave a comment:

• Jimmy
    replied
    Yeah there's a big difference between sealing an aircraft up in the desert and keeping a ship from rusting into the sea.

Leave a comment:

• ace16807
    replied
    Originally posted by blackzz28 View Post
    https://medium.com/war-is-boring/i-l...y-4eec4c8bf5cf
    Mods move this if its a problem but the battleships of the air are being dragged
    Back to service,the air force is doing the smart thing , to bad the navy isn't as far
    Sighted
    A heavily damaged air frame of was replaced by one in storage. It's not like they dragged a B-47 out of mothball to replace a B-52. It's expensive to maintain vessels in mothball and borderline useless once a class has outlived its usefulness.

Leave a comment:

• TopHatter
    replied
    Best to put this in the Aviation section.

And there's a world of difference between a heavy bomber and a battleship.

Leave a comment:

• blackzz28
    started a topic B-52H returns to service after 7 years

B-52H returns to service after 7 years

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/i-l...y-4eec4c8bf5cf
    Mods move this if its a problem but the battleships of the air are being dragged
    Back to service,the air force is doing the smart thing , to bad the navy isn't as far
    Sighted
Working...
X