Strange designations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hello
    That's true. Notice the names of all Russian and Chinese fighters start with "F", bombers with "B", helcopters with "H" and transport with "C". The only deviation is the fact that attack planes are also "F". Space planes are "S".
    Very few one-syllable names in there too...Hind and Havoc come to mind.

I wonder if that's for a reason...
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Don't forget the Ka-27/28/29/31 Helix or the Ka-50 Hokum.

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}-
        So what's the deal with the 'tanker' version of the Super-Bug? Is it the F/A-18K, KF-18, KA-18 or what?
        I'm not sure it would apply because the SuperHornet tanker is a configuration, not a variant.

Comment

Whats the "OV" significance in OV-10 Bronco and OV-22 Osprey?
          Last edited by Captain Drunk; 16 May 06,, 15:37.

Comment

Don't forget the Ka-27/28/29/31 Helix or the Ka-50 Hokum.
            For single syllable?

Originally posted by Captain Drunk
            Whats the "OV" significance in OV-10 Bronco and OV-22 Osprey?
            Observation for the O....the V is...oh heck, I don't have a clue since it should mean vertical but I don't think the Bronco could take off straight up.
            “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Originally posted by TopHatter
              For single syllable?
              Whoops, I thought you had forgotten about Kamovs altogather as Russian helicopters. For one-syllable names, you've got the Mi-8 Hip.

Comment

Whoops, I thought you had forgotten about Kamovs altogather as Russian helicopters.
                Nope, was just using those 2 as an example of one-syllable. They both happened to be from the Mil bureau though. :)

For one-syllable names, you've got the Mi-8 Hip.
                Yep, there's another one. "Haze" is also a Soviet helo as I recall...

Probably nothing at all, just seemed somewhat odd.

From what I understand, the Soviets were usually very interested to know what the NATO names were going to be.

Comment

Q: What does 'Y' mean in YF 23 ?

thanks in advance :)

Comment

What about the P in P-3 Orions?!
                    Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus
                      What about the P in P-3 Orions?!
                      Patrol

Comment

Aren't those Recce a/c.

Patrol? What? CAP?
                        Self-control is the chief element in self-respect, and self-respect is the chief element in courage.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximus
                          Aren't those Recce a/c.

Patrol? What? CAP?
                          uh..it was just a guess...i meant patrol as in martime patrol a/c
                          Last edited by brak; 16 May 06,, 18:25.

Comment

Originally posted by STIG
                            Q: What does 'Y' mean in YF 23 ?
                            The "Y" indicates prototype.
                            "We will go through our federal budget – page by page, line by line – eliminating those programs we don’t need, and insisting that those we do operate in a sensible cost-effective way." -President Barack Obama 11/25/2008

Comment

Originally posted by highsea
                              The "Y" indicates prototype.
                              sweet...thanks

Comment

A patrol unit would essentially have the capability to attack the hostiles. That holds true for historical & modern warfare.

Comment

Working...
                                X