Strange designations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RustyBattleship
    "F" stands for "Fighter" plane. In WW II it was "P" for "Pursuit" plane. It was shortly after the war when the fly force changed the P to an F. The Navy always used an "F".
    "F" in WW2 was "photo recon" for the AAF. The recon B-29 was officially designated as "F-12" (or F-9...couldn't remember off the top of my head.)

Originally posted by hello
    I still don't know what "U" in U-2 stands for.
    "U" was for "utility" if I remember correctly. Kinda non-descript, perfect for CIA.

Originally posted by TopHatter
    How about the F-111 though?
    That was the last of the Century series fighters. F-4 Phantom was the Navy designation. The AF version was originally F-110.
    Last edited by gunnut; 15 May 06,, 08:10.
    "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

Ok, here's a little intro:

In the late 1940s and early 1950s, before, during and after the Korean war, the fleet of B-29 Superfortress bombers were being converted into jet-powered B-50s and KB-29 tankers. After the Korean war, though, when it was realized that large lumbering piston powered aircraft were now useless against jet fighters, some B-50s and most KB-29s were converted to KB-50 jet tankers.
      Not to nitpick, but B-50s were not converted B-29s, nor were they jet powered. They were B-29s with structural modifications and a brand new engine, the Wasp Major (a 4-row, 28 cylinder beast) installed.

The Wasp Major was the most powerful aircraft piston engine ever made.

http://www.pw.utc.com/about_history_classic_r4360.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-4360
      Last edited by gunnut; 15 May 06,, 08:11.

Comment

Originally posted by gunnut
        Not to nitpick, but B-50s were not converted B-29s, nor were they jet powered. They were B-29s with structural modifications and a brand new engine, the Wasp Major (a 4-row, 28 cylinder beast) installed.
        Wow, a W-28. B-29s with structural modifications? Well, that means they were converts only. What's the differance? Sorry about the jet part, I think I mixed it up with the B-47 Stratojet. Still, the point of my mentioning remains; the KB designation of the tanker variants still suggests the name "Kerosene Bomber - 50"

Comment

Wow, a W-28. B-29s with structural modifications? Well, that means they were converts only. What's the differance?
          I think they were strengthened to take the new engine. New manufactures, not converted from existing air frames.

Comment

I think Maximus might have been referring to the huge - and occasionally haphazard - range of numbers within the "F" designator.

Like why for instance did we go from F-18(Hornet) - skip 19 - F-20(Tigershark) skip F-21 Hit F-22/YF-23 ok, but then leap into the 30s.
            The others I can't explain, but the 30's came to be from the JSF technology demonstrator aircraft, the X-35. I believe this came to be because the original ASTOVL and CALF programs which later lead to JSF got the X-aircraft number which actually was in order. The aircraft downselected in CALF was to be designated X-32. As things progressed, Boeing's JSF variant was called the X-32, and Lockheeds was labeled X-35. Years later, Lockheed won JSF and they just changed the X to an F.

Comment

Originally posted by jgetti
              The others I can't explain, but the 30's came to be from the JSF technology demonstrator aircraft, the X-35. I believe this came to be because the original ASTOVL and CALF programs which later lead to JSF got the X-aircraft number which actually was in order. The aircraft downselected in CALF was to be designated X-32. As things progressed, Boeing's JSF variant was called the X-32, and Lockheeds was labeled X-35. Years later, Lockheed won JSF and they just changed the X to an F.
              Correct. X-33 and X- 34 were space plane demonstrators.

Now if we were doing the system correctly, the F-35B (VTOL) would be the AFV-24
              :)

Comment

Current Designations since 1962

I also have the old systems for the services if anyone is interested.

Aircraft Type

G Glider
                H Helicopter
                Q Unmanned Aerial Vehicle
                S Spaceplane
                V VTOL/STOL (not used as status until 1962)
                Z Lighter-than-air

Basic Mission

A Attack
                B Bomber
                C Transport
                E Special Electronic Installation
                F Fighter
                L Laser
                O Observation
                P Patrol
                R Reconaissance
                S Antisubmarine
                T Trainer
                U Utility
                X Research

Modified Mission

A Attack
                C Transport
                D Director (formerly G)
                E Special Electronics Installation
                F Fighter
                H Search and Rescue (formerly S)
                K Tanker
                L Cold weather
                M Multimission
                O Observation
                P Patrol
                Q Drone
                R Reconnaissance
                S Anti-submarine
                T Trainer
                U Utility
                V Staff
                W Weather reconnaissance

Q for UAV, L for laser and S for spaceplane are late 80s or 90s additions/modifications.
                Last edited by Gun Grape; 16 May 06,, 01:54. Reason: switched the placement of basic mission and aircraft type to be inline with their use

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape
                  Now if we were doing the system correctly, the F-35B (VTOL) would be the AFV-24
                  :)
                  Wouldn't that be F/AV-24?
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Wouldn't that be F/AV-24?
                    No, but the F/A-18 shouldn't be called that either. It should have been the AF-18.

Same with the FB-111. SHould have been a BF-111.

Just cause we have rules doesn't mean we have to follow them

Comment

Just cause we have rules doesn't mean we have to follow them
                      So the rule - if followed - is to place multiple letters in alphabetical order?

Or am I still missing something?
                      “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

So the rule - if followed - is to place multiple letters in alphabetical order?

Or am I still missing something?
                        Missing something.

In the case of the FB-111. By the rules the aircraft basic mission is a bomber. And it has a modified mission as a fighter. When in fact, its just the opposite. The EF-111 was designated properly.

The F/A-18 should have been a F in the 1 seater and a AF in the 2 seat version. This is somewhat corrected in the "G" version. Its designation is the EA-18G basic mission a attack plane (a-18) with a mod mission of electronic warfare E (EA-18)

The F-35B is a VTOL plane and would have a type designation code of V. (v-35),A basic mission as a fighter F (FV-35) and a modified mission as an attack plane A (AFV-35)
                        Last edited by Gun Grape; 16 May 06,, 01:52.

Comment

Missing something.
                          Shocking I know.

In the case of the FB-111. By the rules the aircraft basic mission is a bomber. And it has a modified mission as a fighter. When in fact, its just the opposite.
                          And that's something that's always bothered me. A bomber? I thought the term bomber was supposed to refer to a strategic (not necessarily meaning nuclear) aircraft that attacked..erm, strategic targets behind enemy lines. I didn't think they intended the F-111 to do that as it's primary mission.

Oh wait, I remember: following the rules even if it's rarely done (like having an exception to virtually every standardized naming scheme in the Navy....USS Hyman G Rickover, USS Henry M Jackson, USS Thomas Gates etc.)

The rules are actually for coming up with NATO reporting names for Soviet equipment. THEN you have to follow them

Comment

So what's the deal with the 'tanker' version of the Super-Bug? Is it the F/A-18K, KF-18, KA-18 or what?

Comment

That's true. Notice the names of all Russian and Chinese fighters start with "F", bombers with "B", helcopters with "H" and transport with "C". The only deviation is the fact that attack planes are also "F". Space planes are "S".

MiG-21 Fishbed
                              MiG-23, 27 Flogger
                              MiG-25 Foxbat
                              MiG-29 Fulcrum
                              MiG-31 Foxhound
                              Su-27, 30, 35, 37 Flanker
                              Su-32, 34 Fullback
                              Su-25, 39 Frogfoot
                              Su-24 Fencer
                              J-8 Finback

MiG-105 Spiral

Tu-22 Blinder
                              Tu-22M Backfire
                              Tu-160 Blackjack

An-72 Coaler
                              An-124 Condor
                              An-225 Cossack

J-10, Su-47 haven't been named yet.

Comment

Originally posted by -{SpoonmaN}-
                                So what's the deal with the 'tanker' version of the Super-Bug? Is it the F/A-18K, KF-18, KA-18 or what?
                                There is no dedicated "tanker" version of the Superbug. It's just your average F/A-18E/F carrying 4 tanks under the wings and a buddy tank centerline along with 6 AMRAAMs and 2 Sidewinders for protection. Or this can even be a CAP loadout if you replace the centerline buddy tank with a normal tank. They plan to replace the S-3 with this, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X