Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This Latin phrase was inscribed on artillery pieces during this persons reign.

By who's order was it inscribed? and what does it translate to in english?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ultima.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1468576
    Last edited by Gun Grape; 05 Apr 16,, 02:31.

Comment

• First hint. France

Comment

• The Final Argument of Kings by Louis XIV aka Louie the Pretty Good
        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
        Mark Twain

Comment

• Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner.

He knew, when its time to get serious, its time to call Arty.

Your question.

Comment

• We have the old fox now.

Who said it?

Who was the fox?

What was the outcome?
            Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
              We have the old fox now.

Who said it?

Who was the fox?

What was the outcome?
              IIRC off the top of my head...

Wellington, Napoleon, Battle of Waterloo, Isle of St. Helena

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
                IIRC off the top of my head...

Wellington, Napoleon, Battle of Waterloo, Isle of St. Helena
                Nope. And I believe Wellington at Waterloo said just prior to the battle, 'Gentlemen, today's fox."

But you are close to the right time. Just the previous century.
                Mark Twain

Comment

• I'm going to say the answer to the first question is Sir Banastre Tarleton, the second answer is Francis Marion, and the third answer is "I don't know".
                  "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                    I'm going to say the answer to the first question is Sir Banastre Tarleton, the second answer is Francis Marion, and the third answer is "I don't know".
                    Nice try...but no. But you have the correct war.

BTW, best Swamp Fox in the movies...Leslie Nielson.
                    Mark Twain

Comment

• Second Battle of Trenton, uttered by Cornwallis about Washington, Washington and the Continental Army escaped to ultimately prevail at the Battle of Princeton.

Comment

• Correct...or also known as the Battle of Assunpink Creek.

And I will be there in 1 week!

Will be limited on WAB for the next week and a half.
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• The NYT said this about an American War, On our part, "the war was in its origin and motive nothing short of a gigantic blunder and a crime."

Which war?

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
                            The NYT said this about an American War, On our part, "the war was in its origin and motive nothing short of a gigantic blunder and a crime."

Which war?
                            The Mexican War
                            Mark Twain

Comment

• I concur with that answer; and, curiously, one the most outspoken later critics of that war was one Ulysses S. Grant, who fought in that war, but did not agree with it's justification.
                              "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• Originally posted by Stitch View Post
                                I concur with that answer; and, curiously, one the most outspoken later critics of that war was one Ulysses S. Grant, who fought in that war, but did not agree with it's justification.
                                Grant disagreed with the war while he was fighting it...however, he believed better a bad war now better than a worse war later.

Like the War of 1812, the Mexican War was more popular in the South and West than in the North and East.
                                Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                                X