Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sgt. Alvin York (WW I) was noted for his extraordinary marksmanship with a 1903 Springfield Rifle.

However, when his unit got to France, they were issued a different type of rifle.

Two questions:

What type of rifle were they issued?

What did Sgt. York find so wrong about it that he quickly "acquired" a Springfield?
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Comment

• Originally posted by RustyBattleship View Post
      Sgt. Alvin York (WW I) was noted for his extraordinary marksmanship with a 1903 Springfield Rifle.

However, when his unit got to France, they were issued a different type of rifle.

Two questions:

What type of rifle were they issued?

What did Sgt. York find so wrong about it that he quickly "acquired" a Springfield?
      I think I know half of this one Rusty....a 1917 Enfield...but I have no idea why he used a spingfield .
      "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Alvin York's Diary

"There we turned in our guns and got British guns. Well, we went out from Le Havre to a little inland camp. I had taken a liking to my gun by this time. I had taken it apart and cleaned it enough to learn every piece and I could almost put it back together with my eyes shut. The Greeks and Italians were improving. They had stayed continuously on the rifle range for a month or two and got so they could shoot well. They were fairly good pals, too. But I missed the Tennesseans. I was the only mountaineer in the platoon. I didn't like the British guns so well. I don't think they were as accurate as our American rifles. Ho ho."

Why Alvin is laughing is because he didn't think OUR rifles were all that hot either. Up to 100yds, he thought that his muzzle-loaders at home were the trick.

He did come to realize the military utility of a bolt-action weapon versus a muzzle-loader though.

Sgt. York's Diary
        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Originally posted by Shamus View Post
          I think I know half of this one Rusty....a 1917 Enfield...but I have no idea why he used a spingfield .

A 2007 issue (or maybe the year before that) of The American Rifleman had quite a story on Sgt. York, backed up by his son and other relatives.

The reason he hated the M-1917 (originally the 1914 Enfield) was because it had peep sights instead of V notch and no windage adjustment except by knocking the front side side to side. He said it was too hard to lead a running target with the peep sight.

And S-2, you were close also as the M-1917 was considered a "foreign" rifle just rechambered from .303 British to .30-06 American. Which in effect, it was.
          Last edited by RustyBattleship; 11 Jan 08,, 23:41.

Comment

• Well,seeing as we were both half-right Rusty.....open question???First asked,first served??(I should have known the whole answer Rusty,I remember reading that article )
            "Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories." Thomas Jefferson

Comment

• Easy one for our cousins across the pond.........Actor David Niven was an officer in WWII and rose to the rank of Ltc.Who served as his batman during the war??

Comment

• Peter Ustinov

Well, whaddaya know?
                "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

• Originally posted by Shamus View Post
                  Easy one for our cousins across the pond.........Actor David Niven was an officer in WWII and rose to the rank of Ltc.Who served as his batman during the war??
                  Sir Peter Alexander Ustinov

Peter Ustinov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                  "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by S-2 View Post
                    Well, whaddaya know?
                    You sir are correct,your question:)

Comment

• Who Am I?

My regiment is known for seeking trouble-and finding it. Riding a pony named "Iroquois" into "Indian territory" seeking trouble, our boys found it again in spades. My regiment suffered a greater percentage of casualties below the massif than any regiment, Union or confederate, at Gettysburg.

As a new 2nd lieutenant I earned the congressional medal of honor within hours and was wounded. Where was I wounded and who am I?

Comment

• Originally posted by S-2 View Post
                        My regiment is known for seeking trouble-and finding it. Riding a pony named "Iroquois" into "Indian territory" seeking trouble, our boys found it again in spades. My regiment suffered a greater percentage of casualties below the massif than any regiment, Union or confederate, at Gettysburg.

As a new 2nd lieutenant I earned the congressional medal of honor within hours and was wounded. Where was I wounded and who am I?
                        Almost sounds like George Armstrong Custer. Except he was inadvertently made a Brigadier General when he led his suicide charges.

And as for winning the Congressional Medal of Honor in the War Between the States (normally called the Civil War) that was no big deal. Almost everbody was given that medal. That's why no Civil War names of CMH winners are engraved on the wall of honor in the Pentagon.

Comment

• Rusty Battleship Reply

Key on Massif and "Iroquois" while thinking later. Much later.

Comment

• The 26th North Carolina Regiment is the one that lost the highest number of casualties from either side during the battle.
                            They lost over half their number (588 out of 800) fighting the Iron Brigade at Mcpherson's Ridge.
                            Can't figure out the LT though.

Comment

• The Answer

2Lt Walter (Joe) Marm. 1-7 Cav. Ia Drang, November 1965.

I relinquish to Shamus. His question.

Comment

• I guess I misunderstood the question. I should pay more attention to detail I guess.

Comment

Working...
                                X