Talk Of Strike On Syria Moves From 'Will It Happen?' To When

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mihais View Post
    JAD,I considered what you said,and it is indeed the only justification(sort of) for whatever you do.But it's still the wrong thing to do.I'm not opposed to dettering use of CW in whatever circumstances and I'm for dettering Iran.But you can't divorce the use of CW from the context of the war going on and the relevant parties involved,as you propose.Looking like a tool ain't good.The other major thing is you don't frighten anyone with sucker punches.I've just listened Obama.Besides the ''ughs'' and ''ahh's'' of the greatest speaker since Cicero,there is no actual threat.
    Shooting at someone means war,period.Starting a war with no clear objective is stupid.Not looking stupid for talking too much,but actually being stupid.And you don't impress the Iranians by being stupid,but by being strong and determined.

Let's see the suggested COA.You'll shoot various targets.You either weaken Assad,meaning he's encouraged to use CW's even more.He losses he dies,so no loss for him.Where is the detterence in that?
    If you don't weaken Assad,again,where is the detterence?
    Seeing the 82nd,FFL and the Marines of US&France assaulting known CW depots,securing them and getting out in 3 weeks with a promise to come back if more CW's are found is something I can understand.
    You make some valid points for which there are rebuttals.

-- A sucker punch comes as a surprise. There is no surprise now, except the targets and even those are limited.

-- A strike is not a war per se, and even if Syria fancied itself at war with the US, it would likely be a war of words.

-- Assad won't lose the civil war with or without a strike; if he sees no end in sight to civil war, he'll either leave the country, hunker down in Alawite country, or call for a negotiated settlement (best for the Alawites)

-- If "he uses CW more" then he admits to having used it before. Putin will then find it impossible to defend him any longer as now? I doubt the Iranians would even defend him. He'll be declared a war criminal and the world court will issue a warrant for his arrest

-- You make the point: "you don't impress the Iranians by being stupid,but by being strong and determined."

But Obama has created a political cover for himself. If Congress votes a strike down, he'll obey. The question for the Iranians then becomes, would Congress do the same if they cross the nuke red-line set down for them? Got to wonder about that one.

It seems 50/50 your hope against a strike will come true.:)

--
    To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

• Well, he will hit few targets now but he will get the right to hit few targets anytime in the future until Asad regime is no more and Syria is in the rebel hands. Everything will be peaceful for a while and than it will erupt again, fueling new terrorist attacks and atrocities across the globe.

Comment

• Could someone describe to me the difference between war and the strike?

Comment

• Punitive raid vs destruction of enemy combat capabilities.

Comment

• Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
            How do you think the rest of the coalition will view this? I assume Russia and China are not amused, especially Russia.
            What does it matter? Turkey, Arab League, and others has been screaming for US intervention. Now they got it. They need to get behind US and support US.

Comment

• Suck it England :Dancing-Banana:
              Sen. John McCain to Leno: Britain ‘No Longer a World Power’
              by Evan McMurry | 1:17 pm, August 31st, 2013 VIDEO
              John McCain: England 'No Longer a World Power' | Mediaite
              Appearing on the Tonight Show Friday night, Arizona Senator John McCain lamented the decline in Great Britain’s geopolitical muscle, especially given what he called the neutrality of the United Nations in response to chemical weapon attacks in Syria.

“I feel badly about the British,” he told host Jay Leno. “They’re our dear friends, but they’re no longer a world power. It’s just a fact of life.”

On Thursday, England’s House of Commons narrowly defeated a resolution approving the country’s intervention into Syria provided proof of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s use of chemical weapons, a sharp rebuke to Prime Minister David Cameron and President Barack Obama.

McCain’s comment came in the context of a critique of the United Nations for what McCain considers a lackluster response to Syria’s aggression.

“The U.N. has turned into an organization that, in my estimation, in many ways is a waste of taxpayers’ dollars,” McCain said. “Right now, the U.N. is in there ascertaining whether this was a chemical attack. And I think it’s fairly obvious, since you see these bodies stacked up with not a mark on them, and the head of the United Nations has said, ‘But, we won’t apportion blame.’ What? You’re not going to say who is responsible for it? That’s your tax dollars at work.”

“They want to be neutral,” he added. “They want to be neutral about everything.”
              McCain is an delusional supporter of international terrorism,
              To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

• His memory seems (and that of Secretary Kerry) seems to be full of holes ;)

USA going back to their oldest ally. :pop:

It's also funny how UN is not worth a dime. An international body where US has a vote and therefor shapes its' decisions.
                No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                  His memory seems (and that of Secretary Kerry) seems to be full of holes ;)

USA going back to their oldest ally. :pop:

It's also funny how UN is not worth a dime. An international body where US has a vote and therefor shapes its' decisions.
                  Well its not the USA, you can't say that every American is 100% behind the decisions that administration makes, rather it is a collective of minority, clumped into few powerful interest groups. I doubt that they act even in the interest of the Americans, yet they are more interested in their personal gains and schemes. Its a brave new world out there. Sad but true.

Comment

• Versus,

When I mention countries in terms of politics I never mean people living there, only their politicians. In this case the current ones. You can't put 300mn on a same page. Unless you talk about event on a scale of 9/11 or PH.
                    No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                      What would you do in Obama's place?
                      I'd smash the snot out of every Hezbollah asset on Syrian soil I could find. But that's just me.
                      In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Based out of Amman, she's also a stringer for the AP.

I don't particularly doubt her reporting, but her sources offer some pretty thin gruel, nothing like the evidence on the other side. Any reporter could have found people to blame one side or the other.

MintPress, a fairly new Minnisota-based on-line news outlet founded by a Palestinian-American is not known for objectivity, nor does its founder claim to be objective.

One thing is certain, no objective news organization would list politically active groups as 'likes' on it Facebook page: Let's see, they like Democracy Now, Code Pink, Occupy Wall St, Activists Around the World for Palestine, and others.

While aligning with such groups is not in of itself a sure sign of inaccurate reporting, I know from experience that a couple of them are pretty adept at twisting the truth and don't have great deal of respect for journalistic values. If Mint shares their vitriolic view of the USG, I would be suspicious of anything they put out.
                        That pretty much sums it all up then.

Comment

• Originally posted by Minskaya View Post
                          Obama apparently has arrived at the conclusion (alluded to in his speech today) that the Syrian usage of WMD constitutes an 'in your face' challenge of US resolve vis-a-vis Iran.
                          I think this is what its all about now. I wish he hadn't boxed himself with those red lines, it could be so much easier. He should have drawn the red lines with the use on US's allies.

Comment

It seems 50/50 your hope against a strike will come true.:)
                            --
                            Wish the Brits could vote in the US.

Comment

• Originally posted by Versus View Post
                              Well, he will hit few targets now but he will get the right to hit few targets anytime in the future until Asad regime is no more and Syria is in the rebel hands.
                              My thoughts exactly. To think that those 5 destroyers will just unleash for a week then turn back to their home ports is just fiction. Asaad will never be safe again from US missiles until he is either deposed or killed.

Comment

• Originally posted by troung View Post
                                Suck it England :Dancing-Banana:

Sen. John McCain to Leno: Britain ‘No Longer a World Power’
                                by Evan McMurry | 1:17 pm, August 31st, 2013 VIDEO
                                John McCain: England 'No Longer a World Power' | Mediaite
                                Where's the "don't like" button. :slap:
                                To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Working...
                                X