X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Big K View Post
    what about martial arts?
    Which ones?

Italian condottiere captains, and certain Prussian and British swordsmen had techniques that by far surpassed Eastern styles. Less flashy, more pragmatic, efficient and combat-oriented.

Comment

• Originally posted by entropy View Post
      Which ones?

Italian condottiere captains, and certain Prussian and British swordsmen had techniques that by far surpassed Eastern styles. Less flashy, more pragmatic, efficient and combat-oriented.

Fighting up close and personal with edged or blunt weapons in addiction to kicks and punches is martial arts.

Personally, I think the samurai would be trying to figure how to get past the kite shield when he would suddenly lose several teeth from it followed by a plunging thrust through the gut while he was on the ground spitting blood and bits of teeth. The Japanese did not fight with them so conceiving of the shield as an offensive tool and not just protection is to much of a leap for me to buy.

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
        Fighting up close and personal with edged or blunt weapons in addiction to kicks and punches is martial arts.

Personally, I think the samurai would be trying to figure how to get past the kite shield when he would suddenly lose several teeth from it followed by a plunging thrust through the gut while he was on the ground spitting blood and bits of teeth. The Japanese did not fight with them so conceiving of the shield as an offensive tool and not just protection is to much of a leap for me to buy.
        The Japanese did not use shields?

Their cavalry did.

Comment

The Japanese did not use shields?

Their cavalry did.
          source? Only thing I see is a small wicker/laguered bamboo device that is obviously not intended for use as a weapon.

Comment

• The mon was worn on three places. Traditionally, a samurai or general would not use a shield in a classical 'western' sense, instead using the large yumi (war bow), the two sword style of dai-sho (katana and wakazashi) or occasionally a two-handed dai-katana or polearm. If a shield was used, it was a large tower shield that was stood in front of the samurai and used as a defensive position whilst he fired arrows from behind it. In addition, a large mon was worn upon the back of the warrior, and the design is replicated in miniature upon each breast in front. Some samurai and generals would travel into battle with a flag attached to their backs, emblazoned with the mon. In the event that armor was not worn, the mon would be displayed in the above pattern on a ceremonial daimon, suo or kataginu.
            An Essay on Mons

Used by archers.

You're right. I must have been mistaken by the plates of the armor.

Do you know the reason for not using them?

Comment

An Essay on Mons

Used by archers.

You're right. I must have been mistaken by the plates of the armor.

Do you know the reason for not using them?
              Ritual and tradition would be my guess, they (Japan in general) knew what they were in concept via the Mongols and Koreans, although I do not know if either of them took the shield offensively. I think the average samurai put up against the average knight will go down quick with a shield bash.

Comment

• For the very same simple reason their armour is not up to par, lack of proper materials to build good shields.

Comment

• hm, the lightly-armored muslims did pretty well against the knights during the crusades, right? how did they pull that off??

Oh lord, another one of those East is The Warrior Way of Life shouters.
                  you should have seen it when "fearless" came out in asia- i think every chinese nationalist fanboy thought himself the Master of All Martial Arts.

YouTube - Jet Li's Fearless (2006) - Huo Yuan Jia v. Foreign Experts
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                    hm, the lightly-armored muslims did pretty well against the knights during the crusades, right? how did they pull that off??
                    We're talking one on one and you're talking campaigns but in answer to your question, logistics.
                    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                      hm, the lightly-armored muslims did pretty well against the knights during the crusades,
                      Lightly armoured muslims?

They have chain mailed on par with the crusaders.
                      Originally posted by astralis View Post
                      you should have seen it when "fearless" came out in asia- i think every chinese nationalist fanboy thought himself the Master of All Martial Arts.
                      Two words - Boxer Rebellion

Comment

• hm, the lightly-armored muslims did pretty well against the knights during the crusades, right? how did they pull that
                        The Muslim heavy cavalry would be pretty well equipped. Elite units wouldn't have been too much different from the Knights.

Turkic/Steppe armies (Mamlukes/Seljuks) fought different then the samurai would so their successes wouldn't be duplicated in such a way by a Samurai army. Feigned retreats, arrow barrages and combining heavy and light cavalry worked well against European knights.

The Samurai weren't thinking that way.
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by troung; 04 Mar 08,, 07:54.
                        To sit down with these men and deal with them as the representatives of an enlightened and civilized people is to deride ones own dignity and to invite the disaster of their treachery - General Matthew Ridgway

Comment

• Originally posted by Officer of Engineers View Post
                          For the very same simple reason their armour is not up to par, lack of proper materials to build good shields.
                          I guess wood was available in Japan?

Comment

• Not enough hardwood.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big K View Post
                              what about martial arts?
                              What about a 7.62 through the head, as in raiders of the lost ark , his sword was crap wasnt it . :)) ahh but i digress ,, i think the knights would be superior for most reasons already mentioned .

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
                                What about a 7.62 through the head, as in raiders of the lost ark , his sword was crap wasnt it . :)) ahh but i digress ,, i think the knights would be superior for most reasons already mentioned .
                                i prefer 9mm?? :)

hehe yes i see the arguments but i still disagree
                                Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none; be able for thine enemy rather in power than use; and keep thy friend under thine own life's key; be checked for silence, but never taxed for speech.

Comment

Working...
                                X