No announcement yet.

Cricket: McCullum joins the greats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bigfella how old are you if you were watching test cricket in the 70s? I remember as a small boy during my vacations at my grandparents' place in Bombay (they had no TV) going to a neighbors house and watching the whole day's play, all 5 days, on their big black and white TV on Doordarshan. Those were better and simpler times. Big heavy black telephone with the revolving dial. Early 80s I think. None of my kids like watching cricket even remotely.
    Last edited by sated buddha; 20 Feb 14,, 11:34.

Comment

Originally posted by sated buddha View Post
      Bigfella how old are you if you were watching test cricket in the 70s? I remember as a small boy during my vacations at my grandparents' place in Bombay (they had no TV) going to a neighbors house and watching the whole day's play, all 5 days, on their big black and white TV on Doordarshan. Those were better and simpler times. Big heavy black telephone with the revolving dial. Early 80s I think. None of my kids like watching cricket even remotely.
      Went to my first official test at the MCG over the 1978-79 New Year with my dad. Around that time I also saw some of the original World Series Cricket - the 'Packer Circus' - both in Melbourne & my home town of Albury. Have been to virtually every Boxing Day test since the late 80s and a few one dayers. Saw Viv Richards hit a century on the MCG & saw Pakistan beat England in a World Cup Final. Over the years I got to see most of the greats of the past 35 years in the flesh. From Lillee, Marsh & Chappell to the 84-85 West Indies side & the early 2000s Australian side - the two best teams I will ever see (Windies were better). I got to see Shane Warne's first 5 wicket haul in tests and his hat trick. I doubt I will live long enough to see a bowler that good again. My only regret is that my Dad just missed out on seeing Warne. He loved leg spin.
      sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

SB,

What BF is saying is that he a dino. Never, ever, ask about his age ;)
        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by Doktor View Post
          SB,

What BF is saying is that he a dino. Never, ever, ask about his age ;)
          I'm a bloody spring chicken on this site Doc!

I'm betting you're old enough to remember the late Mr Broz & his spiffy hunting outfits. ;)
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
            I'm a bloody spring chicken on this site Doc!

I'm betting you're old enough to remember the late Mr Broz & his spiffy hunting outfits. ;)
            You just lost a bet.

Mr. Broz died when I was not even school-aged ;)

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
              I have agree with BF on the recent shameful gutting of the ICC.
              Now evil BCCI will loot not just from India but from the whole cricketing world.
              What does a man have to do to get some love around here? We even managed to tag along the Ozzy-Pommy empire, BFF?

Comment

Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
                What does a man have to do to get some love around here? We even managed to tag along the Ozzy-Pommy empire, BFF?
                I dont get you. Its obviously the first stage.
                They bribed Aus and Eng to squish the little guys.
                After a few years they will marginalise them also and BCCI will become BCICC.
                All the pols and business types will ride high to hog heaven.
                For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Forgot to add the /sarcasm tag. I'l go sit in a corner now......

Comment

You just lost a bet.

Mr. Broz died when I was not even school-aged ;)
                    Didn't realise you guys started school so late in the Worker's Paradise Doc.

I can remember stuff that happened before I went to school (as young as 4). One of them was the building of the school I went to - it was next to my house.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                      I dont get you. Its obviously the first stage.
                      They bribed Aus and Eng to squish the little guys.
                      After a few years they will marginalise them also and BCCI will become BCICC.
                      All the pols and business types will ride high to hog heaven.
                      Combination of bribes & threats apparently. BCCI threatened to pull India out of world cricket if it didn't get what it wanted. That was the stick. The carrot for us & the poms was more power. ICC should have stood staunch & called BCCI's bluff. A bad business.
                      sigpic

Comment

Didn't realise you guys started school so late in the Worker's Paradise Doc.
                        Hey, we enjoyed our childhood.

I can remember stuff that happened before I went to school (as young as 4). One of them was the building of the school I went to - it was next to my house.
                        From that age, I remember my dog. Well who wouldn't, he was huge in my eyes.

Comment

Hey, we enjoyed our childhood.
                          Less school = more time for Pioneers where you can learn to love Mr Broz & his spiffy hunting outfits.

From that age, I remember my dog. Well who wouldn't, he was huge in my eyes.
                          SO CUTE!!! :Dancing-Banana: (the dog, not you Doc).

I love that you guys have your very own dog breed. I'm afraid our local breed isn't good with children
                          sigpic

Comment

Less school = more time for Pioneers where you can learn to love Mr Broz & his spiffy hunting outfits.
                            Nah, first we had to be mature enough to become Pioneers. That happened in the first grade (typically 7/o).
                            We didn't learn anything about Marshal's hunting habits, but how his dog, Lux, saved his life or how he escaped the bodyguards to have a little chit chat with shepherds (maybe he had some Oz or Kiwi consultants, who knows).

SO CUTE!!! :Dancing-Banana: (the dog, not you Doc).
                            Any dog is more handsome then me. Even the Afghan Hound.

I love that you guys have your very own dog breed. I'm afraid our local breed isn't good with children
                            Like everything else here, it's not solely ours.

About the Dingo's case I remember it. It was something on a rumor level here and was so spooky, people were actually afraid to even to talk about it.

Comment

Nah, first we had to be mature enough to become Pioneers. That happened in the first grade (typically 7/o).
                              We didn't learn anything about Marshal's hunting habits, but how his dog, Lux, saved his life or how he escaped the bodyguards to have a little chit chat with shepherds (maybe he had some Oz or Kiwi consultants, who knows).
                              Always knew he was a man of the people. Anyone who dresses that well is just bound to be.

Any dog is more handsome then me. Even the Afghan Hound.
                              Awwww.

Like everything else here, it's not solely ours.
                              Don't tell me the Greeks are claiming this one too.

About the Dingo's case I remember it. It was something on a rumor level here and was so spooky, people were actually afraid to even to talk about it.
                              We convinced ourselves the mother did because she didn't grieve the way we thought she should. A biased police force & dodgy forensic evidence sealed the deal. Turns out she didn't do it, though a hard core handful of people still think she did. Moral of the tale: don't mess with Australian wildlife or Australian police. ;)
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DarthSiddius View Post
                                Forgot to add the /sarcasm tag. I'l go sit in a corner now......
                                Whoops Was a bit too sleepy before coffee for me to catch that. All this late night working messes my brain up
                                For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

Working...
                                X