Rugby world cup 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dave lukins View Post
    Apparently footballs are too round and move unpredictably in the air and so with the new rugger balls, the shape is too perfect. Excuses or bad workman blaming his tools?
    Is that what it is? The kicking so far from almost every team has been downright terrible.

Comment

Hi All,

I'm back after a long hiatus from WAB to talk about the most important World Affair of the moment ... the 2011 RWC!

I thought the first weekend was awesome, especially the performance of a number of second tier teams against the biggies. My favorite game was the Wales vs South Africa one. The Welsh were awesome- Their Kiwi coach had them playing like All Blacks wearing red! They were very lucky not to win I think, especially given the dodgy call over one of their penalty kicks. Even the South African Player Fransois Stein said at half time that he thought it went over!

Assuming Australia win's its pool we will be lined up to play the second place in the Welsh pool. They are well placed to make that spot and based on that performance, I hope the Wallabies won't underestimate them if they do. For that matter, if Fiji or Samoa manage to pip them at the post, they will have to be taken very, very seriously indeed by the Wallabies.

Anyway, happy rugby watching to all and my commiserations to any of your wives who might like attention over the next five weeks ;-).

AG
      "There is no such thing as society" - Margaret Thatcher

Comment

Big ups to Canada, great win over Tonga, great to watch basic rugby played well
        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Apparently Wilkinson said he was kicking fine. The belief is that it is the Ball; the manufacturers did not test the ball in an Enclosed Stadiu like the one at Otago (Completly covered with Glass). Johnny will come right.

Originally posted by HKDan View Post
          Wasn't that shocking? I don't think I have ever seen him in such poor form. He needs to find his stride if England is going to have any chance of moving after the pools.

Comment

Just loved the Canadian game, real rugger at last.

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
            Big ups to Canada, great win over Tonga, great to watch basic rugby played well

Comment

McCaw, Muliaina and Dagg out of Japan match due to injury.

The Line-Up for the All Blacks against Japan is as follows:

1. Tony Woodcock (77)
              2. Keven Mealamu (86) – captain
              3. Owen Franks (25)
              4. Brad Thorn (53)
              5. Sam Whitelock (19)
              6. Jerome Kaino (42)
              7. Adam Thomson (22)
              8. Victor Vito (9)
              9. Andy Ellis (21)
              10. Colin Slade (6)
              11. Richard Kahui (13)
              12. Ma’a Nonu (61)
              13. Conrad Smith (49)
              14. Cory Jane (27)
              15. Isaia Toeava (33)

Reserves:
              16. Andrew Hore (56)
              17. John Afoa (34)
              18. Ali Williams (67)
              19. Anthony Boric (21)
              20. Jimmy Cowan (48)
              21. Piri Weepu (50)
              22. Sonny Bill Williams (8)

Comment

That's not going to be good, McCaw and Dagg are not quite key players, but they're still an important part of the system. Hopefully the All Blacks can hold, anyway
                Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

We play rugby?

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                    That's not going to be good, McCaw and Dagg are not quite key players, but they're still an important part of the system. Hopefully the All Blacks can hold, anyway
                    Against Japan? No offence but my parents could hold against Japan

Leibniz

Comment

True, but what happens if the injuries last?
                      Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Abusing Yellow is meant to be a labor of love, not something you sell to the highest bidder.

Comment

Originally posted by bigross86 View Post
                        True, but what happens if the injuries last?
                        They won't. The coaches have received no end of grief from the press over their rotation policy, this is just player rotation by proxy.

Leibniz

Comment

The AB's/Japan game was kinda embarressing. I got the distinct feeling the AB's were trying to give the Japs a try at the end but couldn't do so with any degree of credibility.

Gutsy little buggers though, no problem with tactics but when it take three of them to tackle every Kiwi it leads to a pretty horrific overlap by the time it gets out the the inside centre. Fifty more years of Wayagu and they will be contenders I think.
                          "There is no such thing as society" - Margaret Thatcher

Comment

Ireland 15 - Aussies 6

Beautiful

and surely we have blown the whole world cup wide open, because if we beat Italy, South Africa beat Samoa and New Zealand beat France, all the Tri-Nations teams will end up on one side of the draw.....

Comment

Wow I'm wondering if midday is too soon to start drinking? What a win, just what the doctor ordered for Irish rugby - heart, conviction and pride in the jersey from 1 to 15. Perhaps not as skillful as other nations but by god will they work when they sense an upset. Australia didn't score in the second half, the defending was incredible. Australia were clearly affected by the injuries (can't remember seeing a Southern Hemisphere team more lacking a leader or even more broadly a gameplan, ever) but I think it showed real grit to get the win, D'arcy (praying it's not his hamstring), Best and Healy in particular. O'Gara steadied the ship with his kicking as well, with respect to a great young player Sexton just isn't firing in all cylinders right now. Good for Ireland and good for the Northern Hemisphere as well. Hopefully they can push on and win the group.
                              Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative.
                              - John Stuart Mill.

Comment

Not the greatest game in the world but the result speaks for itself. Well done Ireland. Onward and upward. ;)

Comment

Working...
                                X