Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cricket-England hit for six by media after Dutch disaster
    Sat Jun 6, 2009 1:35am BST

LONDON, June 6 (Reuters) - England's defeat by Netherlands in the opening game of the Twenty20 World Cup was branded "the ultimate humiliation" by British newspapers on Saturday.

England lost by four wickets against the 500-1 outsiders to the embarrassment of players and fans alike at Lord's on Friday with The Times praising "Dutch courage" for the shock win.

The Daily Express said: "England have had some embarrassing moments in World Cup cricket but none as embarrassing as this:)), coming on their most famous of grounds..."

"Clogs 1 Clots 0" was the headline in The Sun which said England bowler Stuart Broad, who missed with a throw at the stumps to hand the Dutch victory off the final ball, "was made to look a total lemon by the orange men of Holland..."
    The Daily Star noted: "The rank outsiders gave Paul Collingwood's side a lesson with bat, ball and in the field. And the hosts could have absolutely no argument..."

The Times added: "Fluffing your lines against the likes of Australia or India is one thing, but England played like headless chickens in the closing two overs..."

The Telegraph's verdict was just as damning with the newspaper telling readers that England had lost to "a rag-tag assortment of Dutch cricketers made up of downhill skier, a debt collector and a 37-year-old advertising executive.:P
    "It's lucky the Dutch didn't pick Burger King employee Mudassar Bukhari or England could have made even more of a dog's dinner of their World Twenty20 campaign."

England must beat Pakistan on Sunday to avoid a first-round exit, while the Netherlands will clinch a second-round spot if they produce another upset against Pakistan next Tuesday.

Cricket-England hit for six by media after Dutch disaster | Sports | Cricket | Reuters
    When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

• Certainly it is humiliating for English fans... But, with Flintoff and Pietersen out of the team with injuries, there isn't any big hitter in the English camp (except Ravi Bopara maybe)... none of the English batsmen were able to clear the boundary even once, and that too against weak and inexperienced bowling attack... Hope Pietersen returns for their next game against Pakistan.

Comment

• Originally posted by pchatra View Post
        Certainly it is humiliating for English fans... But, with Flintoff and Pietersen out of the team with injuries, there isn't any big hitter in the English camp (except Ravi Bopara maybe)... none of the English batsmen were able to clear the boundary even once, and that too against weak and inexperienced bowling attack... Hope Pietersen returns for their next game against Pakistan.
        The hero is again poor STUARt BROAD..:)):))..he missed 3 run out chances ,a drop catch and the overthrow that won netherlands the match off the last ball - all in the same over...

this is the same bloke who was given the 36-treatment by Yuvraj... He shld probably take up some other sport after this...

Comment

• Yeah, Broad really isn't a T20 bowler, his antics with the last ball is probably worse than getting smacked around the park 6 times by Yuvraj

Still think we can beat Pakistan, Pietersen and Swann need to come into the squad, not having Flintoff also matters. Have to remember that certain key people were missing, but that's no excuse, how can professional cricketers lose to part timers (for the most part)

Then again T20 does level the playing field alot between teams of varying skill

Comment

• Originally posted by Knaur Amarsh View Post
            Well I am getting late for work, but this is too bloody good to not post ]
            gloat while ya can matey :(:(:(:P

Comment

• Originally posted by Mercenary View Post
              The hero is again poor STUARt BROAD..:)):))..he missed 3 run out chances ,a drop catch and the overthrow that won netherlands the match off the last ball - all in the same over...

this is the same bloke who was given the 36-treatment by Yuvraj... He shld probably take up some other sport after this...
              Yea like heading the shot or catching the javelin

Comment

• The english made the match very exciting to watch.

The Telegraph's verdict was just as damning with the newspaper telling readers that England had lost to "a rag-tag assortment of Dutch cricketers made up of downhill skier, a debt collector and a 37-year-old advertising executive.
                "It's lucky the Dutch didn't pick Burger King employee Mudassar Bukhari or England could have made even more of a dog's dinner of their World Twenty20 campaign."
                Ouch!!

Comment

• Excellent batting by the Windie openers, defeat for Aus and the next match is with SL, man this ll be one exciting group to watch.
                  When our perils are past, shall our gratitude sleep? - George Canning sigpic

Comment

• Shoaib Akhtar right arm fast bowler from Pakistan , World's Fastest bowler with some

Here you go my fine gentlemen, compliments from Mobbme

LiveLeak.com - World's Fastest Bowler - injured many Players !

Comment

• India's Yuvraj blows Bangladesh away

India's Yuvraj blows Bangladesh away - inthenews.co.uk

Giant killers failed this time for good :) ... Nice batting display by Yuvraj... But a bit disappointed with Dhoni. There was no need for promoting himself to No.3 ahead of Yuvraj, Raina and Yusuf. I beleive this cost India atleast 20-25 runs. Ojha bowled well to restrict Bangladesh to 155.

Good win for India, but it could have been better.

Comment

• Originally posted by pchatra View Post
                        India's Yuvraj blows Bangladesh away - inthenews.co.uk

Giant killers failed this time for good :) ... Nice batting display by Yuvraj... But a bit disappointed with Dhoni. There was no need for promoting himself to No.3 ahead of Yuvraj, Raina and Yusuf. I beleive this cost India atleast 20-25 runs. Ojha bowled well to restrict Bangladesh to 155.

Good win for India, but it could have been better.
                        Bangladesh reminds me of the indian team in the 90s - only 2 recognized batsmen in ashraful and iqbal..off to good starts...loose their way badly in the middle overs., and their bowling too...have the opposition at the doormat and then give it all away..

Currently India has reasons to worry..Sehwag is too good a batsman to leave out...and one wonders who would make way for him..I can only think of Irfan Pathan (Cannon fodder medium pace bowler..but a decent bat..Sehwag is definitely a better player than him overall)..india should experiment on that against Ireland..

Comment

• Originally posted by Mercenary View Post
                          Sehwag is too good a batsman to leave out
                          He has been left out only because he is not well, his was not a choice omission.

Originally posted by Mercenary View Post
                          india should experiment on that against Ireland..
                          Well, I disagree, since as to me this is no time to experiment. We need to go in with same composition that played against B'desh and in same batting order with Dhoni at number 3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steezy View Post
                            Yeah, Broad really isn't a T20 bowler, his antics with the last ball is probably worse than getting smacked around the park 6 times by Yuvraj

Still think we can beat Pakistan, Pietersen and Swann need to come into the squad, not having Flintoff also matters. Have to remember that certain key people were missing, but that's no excuse, how can professional cricketers lose to part timers (for the most part)

Then again T20 does level the playing field alot between teams of varying skill
                            Is it true that the England team is not taking it seriously and are "focussing" on the Ashes, whatever that means and whatever good will come out of that?
                            There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don’t..

Comment

• Watched Australia vs WI last night. We got flogged. Still, could be a silver lining if it means Lee doesn't gets picked for the Ashes. He was woeful. It will also give some of the Aussies a bit of a hit out on English wickets. Most of ouor guys are coming back from a mandatory rest after the summer - they will improve.

Fortunately England has overshadowed our poor performance by losing to a non-test playing nation. This was made even better for me by the fact that I am a long time follower of the Netherlands in Football (until recently there was no point following Australia). I will be wearing my bright orange Dutch football scarf with pride this week.
                              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Sumku View Post
                                He has been left out only because he is not well, his was not a choice omission.

Well, I disagree, since as to me this is no time to experiment. We need to go in with same composition that played against B'desh and in same batting order with Dhoni at number 3.

What happens when he is fit again..during the super-eight stage or further on.. we can avoid unnecessary tinkering by trying out a modified line-up against Ireland(if Sehwag is fit by then ofcourse..he's supposed to be down with a flu right ? )

Even if sehwag isn;t fit..Pathan should make way for Jadeja..a better bowler and batsman compared to pathan

Comment

Working...
                                X