Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm reading the Newsflesh trilogy (Feed, Deadline,Blackout) by Mira Grant aka Seanan McGuire.

Its Zombie season, and I've got to have something to hold back the withdrawals until Walking Dead returns. And I've still got a few weeks till Dr Who reappears.

Comment

• I just purchased Crash Dive..True stories of USN submarine warfare by Larry Bound.
      Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
        I just started this:

Dreadnought: Robert K. Massie: 9780345375568: Amazon.com: Books

Wonderfully written.

No autographs please....;)
        Fortitude.....The strength to persist...The courage to endure.

Comment

• Any thoughts on a good non-fiction book about the military for a 10 year old? He wanted to read Lone Survivor, but it's too old for him.

Comment

• Originally posted by TBrown View Post

A history of the US's role in Afghanistan from 1979 to 2001. This really shows what a train wreck Afghanistan has been since the late 1970's. It also shows how convoluted US policy has been towards Afghanistan and Pakistan.
            Excellent book; picked it up about ten years ago at Costco, a really good read about the events & situation leading up to 9/11.

Another good book along these lines is:

Just picked this one up yesterday at the library, should be interesting:

Attached Files
            "There is never enough time to do or say all the things that we would wish. The thing is to try to do as much as you can in the time that you have. Remember Scrooge, time is short, and suddenly, you're not there any more." -Ghost of Christmas Present, Scrooge

Comment

• after more than 3 months of intermittent reading, i finally completed this:
              Exhaustive detail.
              Sad that he could not make the text come alive a bit more.

http://www.amazon.com/Hitlers-U-Boat.../dp/0679457429
              For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• Could anyone of you please suggest me unbiased books on communism and capitalism which evaluates both ?
                Or should I start with Das Kapital ?

Comment

• I don't really see the "or". Das Kapital is pretty unbiased. You could also try some of Engel's later works.

Comment

• I just successfully reserved the full edition of:

Avantgarde des Widerstands - Modellfälle militärischer Auflehnung im 19ten und 20ten Jahrhundert
                    (Avantgarde of Resistance - Model Cases of Military Insurrection in the 19th and 20th Century)

by Richard Georg Plaschka at my local library. Austrian, year 2000, Publication financially supported by the Austrian MoD.

After sampling it a bit on google, it's pretty much a plethora on details that leads in with a look back at Wallenstein in 1634 for the first 50 pages, then explains the use of military forces in contra and repression actions based on a couple examples for 150 pages, and then does the real thing by portraying about 30 military insurrections (mostly from 1825 to 1956, with a focus on WW1) grouped by source for the next 500 pages. Book Two then explores ideological perspectives and motivations for insurrection, often with additional examples (many rooted in either 1848 or WW2) for about another 400 pages.

It's a bit south-east-central-Europe focused - but that was what I was originally looking for anyway, stumbled over it by accident. Oh, and it's only available in Austrian. The differences to German showed pretty well when I just scratched my head wondering who they meant by quoting a "Trockij".
                    Last edited by kato; 21 Jan 14,, 20:38.

Comment

• Lonely Planet, East Africa.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pedicabby View Post
                        Lonely Planet, East Africa.
                        Heading on a tour?
                        No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
                          I just successfully reserved the full edition of:

Avantgarde des Widerstands - Modellfälle militärischer Auflehnung im 19ten und 20ten Jahrhundert
                          (Avantgarde of Resistance - Model Cases of Military Insurrection in the 19th and 20th Century)

by Richard Georg Plaschka at my local library. Austrian, year 2000, Publication financially supported by the Austrian MoD.

After sampling it a bit on google, it's pretty much a plethora on details that leads in with a look back at Wallenstein in 1634 for the first 50 pages, then explains the use of military forces in contra and repression actions based on a couple examples for 150 pages, and then does the real thing by portraying about 30 military insurrections (mostly from 1825 to 1956, with a focus on WW1) grouped by source for the next 500 pages. Book Two then explores ideological perspectives and motivations for insurrection, often with additional examples (many rooted in either 1848 or WW2) for about another 400 pages.

It's a bit south-east-central-Europe focused - but that was what I was originally looking for anyway, stumbled over it by accident. Oh, and it's only available in Austrian. The differences to German showed pretty well when I just scratched my head wondering who they meant by quoting a "Trockij".
                          Someone will knock on your door soon

OTOH, I have no such worries...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Book-Idle-Pl.../dp/0091923328
                          No such thing as a good tax - Churchill

To make mistakes is human. To blame someone else for your mistake, is strategic.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doktor View Post
                            Someone will knock on your door soon
                            Considering that library also stocks e.g. For the Liberation of Brazil by Marighella, War of the Flea by Taber or an original '56 issue of Brigadier Dixon's main work I think someone has other worries. :whome:
                            Last edited by kato; 21 Jan 14,, 21:25.

Comment

• I just finished this:

Product Reviews: The White War: Life and Death on the Italian Front 1915-1919: Amazon.com

Tragic stupidity
                              For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• A Cruel And Shocking Act: The Secret History Of The Kennedy Assassination
                                Philip Shenon / Henry Holt / 2013 / 625pp

Much like his previous work - The Commission: The Uncensored History Of The 9/11 Investigation - Shenon explains why the American public wound up with the Warren Commission Report. It's not pretty. Major government institutions (Secret Service/FBI/CIA) all had shortcomings regarding the assassination they did not wish exposed. The Dallas police were thoroughly incompetent. Chief Justice Earl Warren did everything in his power to protect Jacqueline and Robert Kennedy from commission intrusion. Commissioner Gerald Ford did everything in his power to protect his friend J. Edgar Hoover and the FBI. Warren was predisposed to the scenario of a sole assassin (Oswald) and dismissed any possibility of foreign or domestic conspiracy. He also nixed intensive interviews with some valuable witnesses because such leads were at odds with his no-conspiracy dogma. Oswald did kill JFK and Dallas police officer J.D. Tippet. Jack Ruby did kill Oswald. Beyond those major conclusions, things get murky due to incompetence, malfeasance, protectionism, and predisposition.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X