X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
    Legacy of Ashes by Tim Weiner
    Got derailed by Shattered Sword but am back on it now.
    I thought "Legacy of Ashes" was great.
    It rewrites our understanding of the Cold War.

Finishing "D-Day" by Stephen Ambrose.
    Great book.
    A close second to his master piece, "Undaunted Courage."

Comment

• Originally posted by braindead View Post
      Just bought ´Rise and Fall of Third Reich´ by W.Shriver (sp:?)
      William Shirer. Great book. If you like that one, also pick up "The Collapse Of The Third Republic" and "Berlin Diaries" by same author.

Comment

• Originally posted by GAU-8 View Post
        I thought "Legacy of Ashes" was great.
        It rewrites our understanding of the Cold War.

Finishing "D-Day" by Stephen Ambrose.
        Great book.
        A close second to his master piece, "Undaunted Courage."
        Yes it took me a long time to find it but was totally worth it.
        I didnt like d-day all that much. Sure he had better sources and facts to work with but I always liked "The Longest Day", read it as a kid in high school.

Currently finished Shattered Sword and an excellent fantasy Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Very George RR Martin...
        The First Law
        The Blade Itself
        The Last argument of Kings
        For Gallifrey! For Victory! For the end of time itself!!

Comment

• Haven't been on WAB for a while but I am currently reading Legacy of Ashes it's long and detailed but very engaging and extremely well documented.:)

Comment

• I'm reading a series of books by Philippa Gregory. They are fact and fiction books about King Henry and the Boleyn family. So far I've read "The Other Boleyn Girl" about Mary Boleyn becoming the Kings "whore" and her sister, the "famous" Anne Boleyn becoming the King's fancy while Mary was pregnant with his second child. Anne was a "b*tch"! :)) Of course she only lasted 1,000 days before her pretty little head was whacked off with a sword.

The second book I read was "The Boleyn Inheritance", which revolved around Anne of Cleves (one of the only wives that either didn't get her head cut off or die early during childbirth), Jane Boleyn who betrayed Anne Boleyn and her brother George (who supposedly had an affair with Anne to try and produce an "heir" because old Henry just couldn't get the job done but blamed all his wives for it. And Katherine Boleyn, 15 years old when she married the King, and was pushed into having an affair (by Jane Boleyn) to try and make an heir since the King was near 50 and impotent. Punishment for adultry...beheading!

So, anyway, I've finished both books in quick time and will be off to the bookstore or library to get the next one!
            “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” ~ Jimi Hendrix
            "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
            sigpic

Comment

• Last book I read was "Six Frigates" by Ian Toll about the founding of the US Navy. Good book with some interesting details about the time period and the politics of the time.

I didn't realize there was so much anti american sentiment in England during the Napoleonic wars, although I guess I understand it since we were supplying both sides with goods and materials.
              Last edited by Johnny W; 14 Jul 08,, 14:08.

Comment

• Originally posted by bolo121 View Post
                Currently finished Shattered Sword and an excellent fantasy Trilogy by Joe Abercrombie. Very George RR Martin...
                The First Law
                The Blade Itself
                The Last argument of Kings

Really?

I enjoy Martin's books...... very indepth. Thanks for the info. I might check those out.

Comment

• I'm reading "Defeat into Victory" by FM Slim. Very interesting read. I only wish it had better maps of Burma.
                  "Of all the manifestations of power, restraint impresses men the most." - Thucydides

Comment

• Ruslan & Lyudmila - Aleksandr S. Pushkin

Comment

• The Man With The Iron Heart by Harry Turtledove
                      Reddite igitur quae sunt Caesaris Caesari et quae sunt Dei Deo
                      (Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's and unto God the things which are God's)

Comment

• Pea Ridge: Civil War Campaign in the West By William L. Shea, Earl J. Hess

Getting ready for my 4 state Civil War Trans-Mississippi tour this SEP.
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

• "Raising The Hunley" by Brian Hicks and Schuyler Kropf.
                          Good read so far.

Comment

• Just started to read the book Persia in the Great Game: Sir Percy Sykes: Explorer, Consul, Soldier, Spy by Antony Wynn - Managed to get a copy of this book brand new at a very cheap price.

Enjoying reading it so far.

Comment

• "Churchill Hitler and the Unnecesary War" by Pat Buchanan. There's a lot in there that I'd never heard of in re the Versailles Agreement imbroglio and how many times Hitler COULD have been stopped pre-1939.

Comment

• The Dust of Empire: The Race for Mastery in the Asian Heartland by Karl Ernest Meyer, and
                                Through the Wheat: The U.S. Marines in World War I by Edwin H. Simmons and Joseph H. Alexander
                                Last edited by GraniteForge; 03 Aug 08,, 12:17.

Comment

Working...
                                X